RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #1

2017 DS Fresh Water Tank Thermostat

I was told by my dealer that there is a thermostat that maintains the temperature of the water in the fresh water tank so that it won’t freeze in very cold weather. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, where is the thermostat located?
Thanks!

specmga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
TDL

There is a thermostat but it is not adjustable. It works with the Oasis system to keep the water bay / basement above freezing. Ours appears to be set around 50 deg but not absolutely sure. This is based off a remote thermometer during single digit weather.

Tom

Old 01-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDL View Post
There is a thermostat but it is not adjustable. It works with the Oasis system to keep the water bay / basement above freezing. Ours appears to be set around 50 deg but not absolutely sure. This is based off a remote thermometer during single digit weather.

Tom
Thanks! Where is it that you can see it is set around 50?
Old 01-13-2018, 09:57 AM   #4

Use an IR thermometer
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #5
TDL

There is no way to ďseeĒ the setting. It is fixed by the manufacturer. I used a remote thermometer by Ambient Weather that allows me to monitor the temp in multiple areas of the coach in real time. Thatís how I determined the ~50 deg. All Newmars made with this feature would likely use the same device. I believe / heard Newmar hard wires the thermostat to a set temp so that it isnít set too high or too low by the user eliminating problems.

Tom
Old 01-14-2018, 06:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by specmga1 View Post
I was told by my dealer that there is a thermostat that maintains the temperature of the water in the fresh water tank so that it wonít freeze in very cold weather. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, where is the thermostat located?
Thanks!
The thermostat is a small metal object close to the water pump in the basement. It will activate the radiator in the wet bay, so it will heat all the tanks, not just the fresh water. It is not adjustable and you do not have to turn it on as it is always on IF you have the Oasis system ON.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is information for the OASIS System look down to PDR Johns threads and it will show the temp control which is fixed at 50* and the heat register in wet bay that will keep all your tanks fron freezing and I believe you need zone #3 on for the heat to work.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi 007 - Might be wired differently on different model years but the wet bay heat in our 2018 doesn't require any zone to be on for it to work. Just that the Oasis is on and up to temperature. Good way to test is to place an ice cube on the thermistor and you will hear it come on in a minute.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi 007 - Might be wired differently on different model years but the wet bay heat in our 2018 doesn't require any zone to be on for it to work. Just that the Oasis is on and up to temperature. Good way to test is to place an ice cube on the thermistor and you will hear it come on in a minute.

Tom
Where is the thermistor?
Old 01-15-2018, 11:07 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - Just above the pump in the wet bay. I probably should not have written thermistor as it really looks to be a bi-metal fixed temperature thermostat.

Tom

Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, thermostat, water