Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #1

2017 DS Step Well Cover Not Working

Does anyone know how to access its guts? The cover is not working and I need to gain access to the mechanics of it and the actuator. Luckily the cover is currently retracted. I have already checked the switch on the dash and that blue rectangular resetable breaker and they both appear fine. My dealer and some Newmar rep tell me that they will need to pull on the piece of corian face and hope it doesn't break and manually pull the cover out - doesn't make sense to me! That was after another Newmar rep said it can be accessed by pulling out the generator tray and getting at it from underneath - which apparently is not correct either.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!
specmga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #2

2017 DS Step Well Cover Not Working

Mine stopped working a few weeks ago. Newmar CS was worse than useless. Called several times and was PROMISED a call back twice, but they totally dropped the ball. I pulled the genny out but see absolutely no access or wires of any kind entering the step well.
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGoldDigger View Post
Mine stopped working a few weeks ago. Newmar CS was worse than useless. Called several times and was PROMISED a call back twice, but they totally dropped the ball. I pulled the genny out but see absolutely no access or wires of any kind entering the step well.
Worse than useless sounds right to me. So what have you done so far?
Old 09-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
The same thing happened to me. It turned out to be a loose wire behind the dash switch. Since you’ve checked that, I don’t have any other suggestions.
TwoCorners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #5

Do not pull trying to get step cover out! Do not remove generator! Mine was repaired under warranty so I do not know exactly how it was removed. First be sure to check the time delay fuse in the outside bay under driver. It is the one with a metal like cover. Check it with your meter or purchase another to be sure that's not the problem. Warning it is possible the fuse is only half blown. Okay you ask how is that possible. Recently my fuse for dash cig. lighter looked okay but with meter it did not measure. Only a slight amount of the fuse was not melted through. It allowed enough amp that it would power some things but not all.

My step cover was removed and repaired by Motorcoach Mobile Care, Brooks Wagner, 832-331-1939(Houston, TX area). I know he removed items below coach and then was able to pull the step out to test motors. It took couple of months for Newmar to find out how to do the job and relay instructions to Brooks. Newmar truly did not know how to remove so do not be so upset with CS. It appears Newmar did not pass on the information to all CS. If you are to far away to be served by Brooks, maybe he could tell you who to contact at Newmar for correct instructions.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGoldDigger View Post

I replaced the resettable fuse with a regular one. I asked CS for a wiring diagram of the dashboard switch (since it has 6 or 8 blade connections) or the manufacturer's name so I could get one from them. Still waiting on the phone call for that.

The switch is just a rocker, so I'll open the console tomorrow to if there is any power at the switch outputs. With any luck, I'll find a loose wire.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:44 AM   #7

Thanks to you all for your input.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:00 AM   #8
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
Do not pull trying to get step cover out! Do not remove generator! Mine was repaired under warranty so I do not know exactly how it was removed. First be sure to check the time delay fuse in the outside bay under driver. It is the one with a metal like cover. Check it with your meter or purchase another to be sure that's not the problem. Warning it is possible the fuse is only half blown. Okay you ask how is that possible. Recently my fuse for dash cig. lighter looked okay but with meter it did not measure. Only a slight amount of the fuse was not melted through. It allowed enough amp that it would power some things but not all.
The fuse was not half blown! This is caused by the LED light circuit used to indicate the fuses are blown. If the fuse is blown, the voltage measured will vary depending on the meter you use. If I check my 12 V outlet with my meter it will probably read 12.8 volts. If I completely pull the fuse out I will probably read about 10.8 Volts. This only happens on the circuits that have the LED lights to indicate a blown fuse. In bright daylight my eyes are not good enough to see if the LED light is lit.

This seems to confuse many people, including myself the first time my 12 V outlet fuse blew.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
The fuse was not half blown! This is caused by the LED light circuit used to indicate the fuses are blown. If the fuse is blown, the voltage measured will vary depending on the meter you use. If I check my 12 V outlet with my meter it will probably read 12.8 volts. If I completely pull the fuse out I will probably read about 10.8 Volts. This only happens on the circuits that have the LED lights to indicate a blown fuse. In bright daylight my eyes are not good enough to see if the LED light is lit.

This seems to confuse many people, including myself the first time my 12 V outlet fuse blew.
Thanks for correcting my bad information, I did not know that.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:38 PM   #10

Finally got to look at this; complicated by the fuse being blown. (I put a good one in place of the resettable one and it had blown).

Actual cause was one of the wires had become disconnected from the switch. This was the third time this has happened. The other times were other switches.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar SEARCH ENGINE.

ONE of many step well problems found in QT's # 3 STEP WELL PROBLEM Section
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover