Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #1

2017 Dutch Star Windshield Exterior Water Leak..

Our coach has surfaced a water leak believed to be originating from the roof area (possibly air conditioning condensation that puddles around the awning attachment brackets secured along the edges of the roof) and exiting from a small pin hole/opening along the lower exterior portion of the windshield on the driver side (below the driver side windshield wiper). I need to emphasize this water leak is on the exterior of the windshield - the interior of the windshield and coach is seemingly dry as a bone. The water intermittently drains from this small hole/seam and runs down the front of the coach leaving a white, chalky residue on the Diamond Shield once dry. Please see attached photos of problem/area in question.

Our local Newmar service provider in addition to Newmar Customer Service has no history of this occurring and can only offer the possibility of condensation forming on the interior of the windshield area when the AC is on. The chalky white residue left behind once the water dries on the Diamond Shield seems more likely to be moisture originating from the roof.

If anyone has experienced this type of issue your input/feedback is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

RTM
2017 Dutch Star 4018
Bradenton, FL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Leak - Photo1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	260640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Leak - Photo2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	260641  

17DS4018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
That's a lot of condensation from bottom of windshield if drip is in that small square you highlighted.
You say water is from attachments to side of coach from awnings, on I assume the drivers side and from water run off from AC on roof.
Most water from roof should run off into a drain rail and drip to ground below.
You have a 2017 coach with out drain hose from AC water pan for water draining for AC that is not plugged up causing run off over roof?
How did you decide the water from awning fittings is getting to that drain hole from windshield?
Windshields set in a rubber gasket around fiberglass cut out and windshield mounted into other side of rubber gasket and ones I had remounted had a sealant applied between the two to hold everything together.
Only time this seal may brake would be if you twisted the coach frame when using jacks for leveling.
Have seen leaks come from overhead clearance lighting and drip to dash board but never run along the interior of a windshield gasket.
Have you sealed any of the fitting screws for awning to try and stop this leaking to interior of coach?
Have you tried any Newmar search's for same problem from this sticky or the search at top of this page which is new to find a similar problem for leaks?
This is a search from top of this page you can change wording for some different answers.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Is there an orange marker light on that path? Just reseal it with silicone. I had a leak via the marker light after a windshield replacement.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:11 AM   #4

Windshield water leak - thank you.

Appreciate the thought, time and effort you afforded my windshield water leak issue very much - thank you Neal.

As for the the Dutch Star roof design for later models, it has rain gutters along each side that lead to catch basins at the corners of the roof. Each The catch basins is then connected to a drain tube that's routed along the interior sidewall and ends (drains) under the left and right corners within the front and rear of the chassis, therefore no water actually (in theory) drains from the roof if the catch basins and drains tubes remain clear. Also, A/C condensation drains directly onto the roof by design to then drain into the gutters, catch basins, drain tubes, etc.. As for why I believe it's a roof leak issue as opposed to a bad seal around one of the marker lights, our coach has been under cover (stored) for the past 2-3 consecutive months leaving the roof & coach exterior entirely free of any precipitation, yet water continues to drain from the lower portion of the windshield. The only moisture on the roof throughout this time frame is resultant of A/C condensation that puddles at various locations, namely around brackets secured (bolted/screwed) into the roof that the Girard Nova awnings are attached, and each bracket and mounting hardware are sealed with caulking putty that typically leaves a white chalky residue behind after water forms around it and dries. It's around many of these brackets where the A/C condensation puddles, therefore only my suspicion of where that water could be originating.

Again, very much appreciate your input.

Robbie
Old 09-20-2019, 03:25 AM   #5

i had issues with my front roof drain tubes...mostly the one on the drivers side....

it was leaking, and causing water to run in the coach, and mostly manifest itself in the drivers cockpit area, in the extreme front of the coach, on the inside....

i suppose it is possible that the water could be coming from a roof drain tube, not showing itself inside, but instead running down the front windshield frame somehow, and then making it's way along the front dash area, and then out the hole in the windshield caulking....

have you looked under the dash, to see if water is getting inside ?
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #6

Thanks so much for your reply. The under side of the entire dash area is dry, but I do believe my problem is most likely a catch basin drain tube as you've suggested. I've previously spent time resealing the drain covers to prevent large debris from slipping around the edges resulting in clogged drain tubes (poor job on Newmar's part during coach construction), and have since resealed around the drain tube openings with Dow Corning silicone purchased from Newmar Parts. I guess I'll just have to wait it out until the water entirely drains from wherever it settled (the roof has been complete dry since last Sunday afternoon yet I'm still getting intermittent drainage from the lower exterior of the windshield as of today, 6 days later, leaving behind a white chalky residue).

Again, I tremendously appreciate your time, effort and insight.

Robbie
Old 09-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would highly doubt the leak is coming from the roof drain tubes. My first guess would also be a marker light. It drips inside the front cap, runs along the edge of the windshield, to a low point where you have the pinhole leak.

The bottom of the windshield is accessible from the generator compartment. Have you looked there....taken your phone and taken some photos and then enlarge. If nothing can be seen from the generator bay, I would do the easiest thing first and reseal all the marker lights.

I recently had a similar issue. I was getting streaking down the back cap. I initially thought a bird had sat on the spoiler and let one rip, as it was wide and nasty looking. I washed the coach and the next day, it was there again. I got up closer and saw it was running out of a small hairline crack in the fiberglass at the edge of the spoiler. I drilled the crack with a 1/8" drill and about a pint of water ran out. The water was entering at the marker lights and polling inside the spoiler until it found a way out.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:22 AM   #8

Don - Appreciate your input and expertise with this situation very much. I too thought I had an issue with a bird perched on the driver side wiper arm leaving his mark on a daily basis, but not the case as you noted. I will perform a closer, more detailed inspection of all the front cap marker lights and seal with Dow Corning silicone just received from Newmar Parts (probable do the same to the rear marker lights for insurance). I was initially convinced it was a roof issue focused on any one of the 12 brackets mounted into the roof that secure the awnings and sealed with grey caulking putty. Much of the caulking has cracked leaving some sizable openings. I've recently resealed each bracket with caulking tape and silicone, but my next focus will be the marker lights as you suggested.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to assist my cause.

Robbie

Tags
dutch star, leak, water, water leak, wind, windshield