RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #1

2017 Dutch Star Wiper Problem

Our 2017 Dutch Star 4369 has the windshield wiper parking problem. In April, the wiper software was updated during a PM at Freightliner of Arizona—no SF number was provided on the invoice.

Now we have two problems. In intermittent mode, the driver’s side wiper hits the passenger side wiper at the end of its cycle and then parks about 12 inches above the other wiper. If I use the Hi/Low mode, the driver’s side wiper hits the other wiper at the end of each cycle. The DS wiper is obviously traveling too far at the end of its cycle. And, the wiper parking is still a problem.

I am seeking your thoughts on the following:

1. Do I still have a software problem since the wipers are not parking properly?

2. Or, do I have a defective motor?

I contacted Freightliner corporate and they say it is a motor problem since the software was updated. I question whether I have the correct software update because I receive the Freightliner SF536-A MUX Wiper Control document in June, two months after my PM software update.

Possibly, it is both the motor and the software. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Rex

and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like you have no choice but to go to a FL shop for repair. Does beg the question though, if you have a problem before the end of your warranty period, it's still under warranty no matter how long it takes to get it fixed right? Anyway, the Freightliner warranty is three years / 50k miles on basic chassis. Shouldn't take three years to get the wipers fixed. A good idea is to not drive in rain.

BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #3

Bill,

Freightliner says it is a motor problem and passes the buck to Newmar. Newmar will replace the motor, but it still may need to go to Freightliner for the software update.

Rex
Old 08-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
It's a real shame that after the sale they don't seem to want to work together. All the advertising projects that these two companies, whether Spartan or Freightliner are a perfect match for Newmar, a marriage made in heaven. But I suppose that's why there are divorces. I feel your pain, I had the wiper problem too, never did get it fixed. I guess that's the first thing I'll try when I pickup the 2018 in a few weeks. I rarely drive in the rain or at night so it took a long time to find out I had a problem last time. Now I know better.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:01 PM   #5

Seems I recall reading a post about the Newmar wiper motor being incompatible with the Freightliner software. Does anyone have information on that and does the new motor have a number or some identification? Possibly it takes both a new motor and software update after the new motor?
Old 08-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #6

Has anyone received a new wiper motor that can post the model number?
Old 08-14-2017, 08:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan chassis don't have this problem? If that's true, then it's not a Newmar problem is it?
Old 08-14-2017, 08:24 PM   #8

I read in a previous post that the Freightliner software is not compatible with a new motor Newmar is using. So, Newmar or Freightliner problem? It seems that neither one wants to accept responsibility.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #9

The wipers on our 2017 Ventana LE were faulty day one when we drove it off the lot (in the rain). We took it to a Freightliner service center in Northern California, and this was actually before the recall or bulletin had come out. The code that Freightliner provided the technician did not fix the problem. It took us 5 trips to the the service center, before they decided it wasn't the "code," it was the motor. So...Newmar paid for the motor, and Freightliner paid for the installation. The bad news is that in the five days of work, they had to take the steering column apart. After leaving the service center after 5 separate date of work, we now do not have rear brake lights, a rear left blinker, or a cruise control light. In another week, we are heading back to the Freightliner service center.
RetiredFroggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:58 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomlansky View Post
The wipers on our 2017 Ventana LE were faulty day one when we drove it off the lot (in the rain). We took it to a Freightliner service center in Northern California, and this was actually before the recall or bulletin had come out. The code that Freightliner provided the technician did not fix the problem. It took us 5 trips to the the service center, before they decided it wasn't the "code," it was the motor. So...Newmar paid for the motor, and Freightliner paid for the installation. The bad news is that in the five days of work, they had to take the steering column apart. After leaving the service center after 5 separate date of work, we now do not have rear brake lights, a rear left blinker, or a cruise control light. In another week, we are heading back to the Freightliner service center.
Wow, in Maine the "lemon law" allows you to get your money back for a vehicle that can't be fixed with a reasonable number of attempts. California might be different, but it sounds like you might need to growl a little.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:38 PM   #11

Spoke to an attorney...we are well on our way...sadly the wipers were only one problem...2 of 3 slides have failed, no odometer since day one...plus more but we LOVE our Coach!!!
RetiredFroggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:48 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Sometimes you get a lemon. When we went for factory pickup there was a couple there with a long list of items to be fixed. We went home and returned a month and 3,000 miles later for a follow up. They were still there. We spent a week in follow up because of a pesky hard to find rattle. These folks felt they finally had their full wall slide fixed on their 4369 and when we were leaving the next morning, their slide wouldn't come in. Something like two months at the factory. It happens. They wanted their money back. Don't know how that turned out. Their whole camping season was spent in repair.

Tags
dutch star