Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2019, 03:42 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
2017 KA

Are there any issues with the ISX 15's in the 2017 KA. Or had they switched to the X 15 by then? Anyone buy a used KA recently, any pros or cons on used Newmars? What to look out for and models are better or worse than others - just impressions from those that own a KA and or about to upgrade to an newer model.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #2

We purchased a very lightly used (7k miles) '18 KA 3 months ago. Not sure about the engine changes between the 17 and 18 KA, but I love the 605. It is actually more fuel efficient than the 600 I had in my '16 Cornerstone.
The 17 KA's had some problems with the digital dash, which was fixed, usually, by replacing the computer. Not really sure what the process was, but the previous owner had to replace the computer on ours as well. We have not had any problems with this. The hydraulic pump for the HWH system and heater core seem to be common problems with these year models. Our hydraulic pump failed, but was replaced free of charge by HWH. No problems since. We did have to replace the passenger side heater core (the KA has separate heater cores for passesnger and driver), but this was done via my extended warranty.

The positives are multiple. The fit and finish of this coach are night and day to anything Entegra offers. The ammenities are endless. This is one of the few coaches out there with an inverter dedicated to running the midhsip AC with the battery bank. We never need the genny going down the road. The ride is very quiet, much more that my '16 Cornerstone, and the KA just feels like a tank. Super solid. The little details on the inside are all very well thought out, and the decor is very much to my wife's liking (she never quite liked the decor in the CS, but I loved the K3). Now we are both happy.

I woud say a well taken care of '17 KA is a good buy. Just be careful with the above mentioned issues.

Fred
Old 01-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46490 View Post
Are there any issues with the ISX 15's in the 2017 KA. Or had they switched to the X 15 by then? Anyone buy a used KA recently, any pros or cons on used Newmars? What to look out for and models are better or worse than others - just impressions from those that own a KA and or about to upgrade to an newer model.
I also am not 100% sure but I don't believe the change to the 605 engine occurred till the 18s. My 16 definitely does not have it. That said, the ISX 15 has been great and I haven't heard of any issues. Several years back when the ISX was rated at 650 HP, there were major valve problems (on the #6 cylinder) but it was derated to 600 HP and the EGR components were redesigned. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either engine in that coach.