Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2023, 01:22 PM   #1

2017 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

My wife and I are going to look at a used 2017 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 at national indoor rv. Any advise on experience with this model, good or bad, would be appreciated. TIA!
swells14534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2023, 02:23 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Love our 17 DS 4369. With that said check on the Funiture and find out if it has been reupholstered. If not then negotiate that with NIRV as it will need to be done any time now. Check slide motor bolts on the two pass anger side slides, make sure they have been tightened and are secure. Check those tires closely they are getting towards the end of life on a 2017. Negotiate that with NIRV too. there are only two years left less depending on milage.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:56 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
2017 was the first year that Newmar got all their sh*t together and made a coach that wasn't having issues with the new FWS system and front-end weights. It should be a good coach.

I had a 2014 DS for five years and now my 2019 for almost four years. I don't know what it is, but we've been lucky with the furniture. I almost wonder if weather has something to do with it. We're in a warm/hot climate as where maybe the damp climates cause more issues.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 05:29 AM   #4
Rd1

just as an fyi,newmar fws issues were both for 2016 and 2017 model years. The bedroom end of the fws saggs down. Newmar had a fix for it. Depending on the extent of the fix, you should see some steel plates mounted under the fws. visible when the slide is open. You may still notice the sag at the end of the bedroom. Depending on the extet of use on that coach, you may find hair line crack on the tiles at the end of bedroom slide as well on the main floor on that corner. If the complete upgrades were performed and the fws was used properly for open/clsoe procedures, it should be ok.

If the unit is on a freightliner, they had tag axle alignment issues. there are very many complaints posted here. inspect the tag tires closely for any wear. Also, freightliner had issue with the tail lights, etc.. that problem seems resolved by its 3rd recall. Last, I think DS is a side radiator, frieghtliners also had a faulty rad fan housing which is very prone to failure. that one is definitly needs to be updated.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:01 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swells14534 View Post
My wife and I are going to look at a used 2017 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 at national indoor rv. Any advise on experience with this model, good or bad, would be appreciated. TIA!

Hi Swells14534!

It is great to hear that you are coming to NIRVC to look at the ‘17 Dutch Star. This is a beautiful coach that looks to be in excellent condition with some nice upgrades. Please let me know if you have any questions before or after your visit that I can help with!
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration
214-392-1100
Angie Morell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:16 AM   #6

Retired Fire Service RVer's
We took delivery of our 2017 DS on 12/22/22 and have been extremely happy with our first motor coach! I have experience building and traveling in overland rigs over the years and am very handy/mechanically inclined. That said, it still took about six weeks of studying and practice to become fully confident and comfortable with all of the electrical and mechanical systems. As for driving it, 27 years in the fire service and a CDL help, but it’s best to spend some time getting comfortable with the dimensions of anything new to you. I think you’re going to be very happy with your decision!
Lois Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 10:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd1 View Post
Last, I think DS is a side radiator, frieghtliners also had a faulty rad fan housing which is very prone to failure. that one is definitely needs to be updated.
Someone can correct me, but my understanding of these failures is it was rare on the 450hp and lower. It seemed to be the larger HP engines that had the fan frame structural issue develop.

The recall would have probably covered the coach in question. A very good thing to check, but perhaps the tubular fan cage was not "very prone to failure" on a DS. Still a good negotiation point if the recall was not done.

I have the tubular fan cage on my '13 MA which missed the cut for the recall although mine may have been before they "cheapened" it as mine has angle iron welded on and several support braces, not just the tubes. Ten years and 60k miles and it's fine. I have a 450hp. I do inspect twice a year.

Check for any open recalls. The SCR recall driven by C.A.R.B would probably also be on a '17 DS.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:36 AM   #8
Rd1

The fan cage issue impacted XCP and XCM chassis, with side radiators. not sure what chassis DS uses on friefghtliner. (attached)

For anyone looking for older units, newmar web site has a page specific for every year and model covering all recalls relating to that unit. It could be very worth while to make sure all the recalls have been applied for the unit.

I have never purchased and older unit, but would hope the dealers would provide a complete report of all recalls specific to the older unit for sale. Afterall, a recall most often relates to safety issue. One can only hope, a reputable dealer would voluntary educate their customers about the status of recalls for their older units.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FCCCSF593AB35campaign.pdf (252.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf BLTN478P.pdf (87.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-17-2023, 02:23 PM   #9

Our 2017 DSDP 4369 has been awesome, but it is on a Spartan K2 chassis. If the one you are looking at is on Spartan - good deal. If on Freightliner, take caution. I'm sure Freightliner has improved their game since 2017, but there is a reason Spartan is a costly upgrade these days.

Tags
dutch star, newmar