Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2017, 12:32 PM   #1

2017 or 2018 Bay Star 3104

Thinking of the 2017 3104 now that the Born Free imperial GAS is out of commision. Just beginning my research on Newmar since you can't seem to get a super C GAS anywhere.

I plan on mainly boondocking. Want to put 600 watts of solar on the roof (All on one side prefered) with a solid solar charger and a 2000w inverter/charger to run everything but the A/C. Want (4) 6 volt AGM batteries as well (sliding tray preferred). Am I just dreaming to get/order the proper pre-wiring for all of that on a Newmar from the factory so I can install what I just said? They can keep what I would otherwise get rid of anyway.

Additionally, looking to get a 3 way RV ref (electric, 12v batt and propane) and would want at least 1 A/C connected/wired to the inverter in case of a real sunny day or I get a few more Batts and/or solar panels...lol.

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2017, 08:50 AM   #2

Sorry I meant the 3401 Newmar After a while they all seem to blend....lol. It is the 3401 Bay Star I am starting to look at, the site says there is 2814 NCC which I presume is net cargo capacity? Full fuel, propane and all fluids am I wrong about that?

Not than keen on only a 220 wheelbase nor the height! The Born Free had a 254 wheelbase and was 11'8 with AC. This is the problem for me, there are not any super C with GAS and the regular C's don't have any CCC on the E-450 when you add my must haves like duel pane windows, above floor or heated tanks, slides without appliances, level system, room for 4 6v batteries, solar charger, 2000w inverter/charger, 2 golden retrievers, under 35ft, decent size freshwater (will be getting composting toilet and combine black and grey tanks) and would now like to get a king bed....lol. Will be mostly full timeish

The Imperial came with either the diesel (upgrade) or the V-10 gas (Std) on the 2017 F-550. Not too keen on the F-53 chassis with all the "fixes" that need to be done. Was going to get the "liquid springs" add on the Born Free as well for better handling.

Going to go to Indiana probably in August for a week but want to focus on at the most 3 manufacturers and models! Any comments on any rigs fitting the above would be appreciated very much:

Daniel
Old 06-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Look at the Tiffin Allegro. I have a 2014 Allegro on the F53 Ford chassis and the chassis has had no problems at 30K miles. You don't need all the fancy aftermarket stuff if you drive it like a motorhome and not a race car. It's the older chassis that need all the mods.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:47 PM   #4

Which model allegro is the 2014 that doesn't need the chf and rear sway? Is it a diesel or gas? What is the CCC? Thanks.

Daniel
Old 06-19-2017, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Sorry I meant the 3401 Newmar After a while they all seem to blend....lol. It is the 3401 Bay Star I am starting to look at, the site says there is 2814 NCC which I presume is net cargo capacity? Full fuel, propane and all fluids am I wrong about that?

Not than keen on only a 220 wheelbase nor the height! The Born Free had a 254 wheelbase and was 11'8 with AC. This is the problem for me, there are not any super C with GAS and the regular C's don't have any CCC on the E-450 when you add my must haves like duel pane windows, above floor or heated tanks, slides without appliances, level system, room for 4 6v batteries, solar charger, 2000w inverter/charger, 2 golden retrievers, under 35ft, decent size freshwater (will be getting composting toilet and combine black and grey tanks) and would now like to get a king bed....lol. Will be mostly full timeish

The Imperial came with either the diesel (upgrade) or the V-10 gas (Std) on the 2017 F-550. Not too keen on the F-53 chassis with all the "fixes" that need to be done. Was going to get the "liquid springs" add on the Born Free as well for better handling.

Going to go to Indiana probably in August for a week but want to focus on at the most 3 manufacturers and models! Any comments on any rigs fitting the above would be appreciated very much:
We bought a 3401 a couple of months ago in CA and brought home via the long way to WI. We love it! We had a 31' Winnebago Class C and we both love the new view out the front as well as being able to use the driver and passenger seats as part of our living space, I would not be interested in going back to a Class C.
As far as handling goes, yes the F53 chassis no matter what manufacturer you decide on can use some attention. I did the CHF and it was a major improvement for sway and general handling for only about an hour of my time. I'd highly recommend it on any Class A. Today the rig is in getting an alignment. I wasn't thrilled about doing this to a new rig, but the tech right away showed me how it was out of spec. He's also installing the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer that I purchased. So, yes, no matter WHAT Class A on an F53 chassis you buy, you might want to plan on these upgrades as part of the process. Heck, use them to help you negotiate your price. I'll check the sticker for CCC when I pick up the rig later today. If I forget to post it, feel free to PM me.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #6

I would be very interested in the CCC of the 3401. Can you also tell me what options or add ons you got with the rig?

The F53 chassis is the F53 chassis. Not sure what, if any, improvements they may have made to the 2018 model or what upgrades you can get for a new build. The 3401 is on the 22,000 chassis. How much of a rear overhang is there and what is the ground clearance or lowest point?

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am focusing more and more on a Newmar

Daniel
Old 06-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #7

Quote:
I would be very interested in the CCC of the 3401. Can you also tell me what options or add ons you got with the rig?

The F53 chassis is the F53 chassis. Not sure what, if any, improvements they may have made to the 2018 model or what upgrades you can get for a new build. The 3401 is on the 22,000 chassis. How much of a rear overhang is there and what is the ground clearance or lowest point?

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am focusing more and more on a Newmar
Dang, I just took it back to storage and forgot to check the CCC tag. I will be going there later this week or early next week. The options that weigh something we got: Option Package 7H030, 2 Blu Rag, Electric Fireplace, Frig 1000 inverter, 2 extra bats, Side view cams, Sony surround, 30" Convection Micro,32" exterior TV, Folding cockpit table, Power seat drivers, Solar prep 6 ga wire, Rear ladder, Remote Exterior Mirrors, 12X 24 Vinyl Tile, Holding Tank heat pad 110 volt, Polar Pak R19 in roof, Fantastic vent w/rain kit and bath, Frameless double pane windows, Rear windows and Special features. We didn't order it, we bought at an RV show in Southern Ca.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:

The CCC on my 3401 is 1710#. Sorry it took so long but didn't have a chance to get to storage until now.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #9

The CCC on my 3401 is 1710#....What options did you get that made the ccc 1710#??
Thanks

Daniel
Old 07-09-2017, 07:00 AM   #10

Quote:
The CCC on my 3401 is 1710#....What options did you get that made the ccc 1710#??
Thanks
The options that weigh something we got: Option Package 7H030, 2 Blu Rag, Electric Fireplace, Frig 1000 inverter, 2 extra bats, Side view cams, Sony surround, 30" Convection Micro,32" exterior TV, Folding cockpit table, Power seat drivers, Solar prep 6 ga wire, Rear ladder, Remote Exterior Mirrors, 12X 24 Vinyl Tile, Holding Tank heat pad 110 volt, Polar Pak R19 in roof, Fantastic vent w/rain kit and bath, Frameless double pane windows, Rear windows and Special features.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:04 AM   #11

OK...and thank you so very much for that information

It seems 007 has removed the 2018 "build sheet" for Bay Stars that was previously available on here, good thing I printed it out I presume you have the 2017 3401 model?

The options I would want to as well include the 8H030, (2 13.5 A/C with 50 amp service), (I might just go with the 30amp and a 15m A/C with another Fantastic Fan in bedroom to save some weight on another A/C and smaller gen?) BluRays, the 4 6v bats on slide out tray (no Res Ref will take the RV ref. less weight and just take the std stove, over and regular micro not sure how this effects weight either ???) Side view cams, 32" exterior TV, Folding cockpit table, Power seat drivers, Rear ladder, Remote Exterior Mirrors, 12X 24 Vinyl Tile (hoping to get in bedroom as well), Holding Tank heat pads 110 volt, Polar Pak R19 in roof, Fantastic vent w/rain kit and bath, Frameless double pane windows and the Rear window. (Wondering if they can make that the emergency window so the other one can open for better bedroom ventilation?).

Also want the 8K377 87' bunk bed iLo jack knife sofa with the "flat floor slide" AND either the 8K129 combo desk/dinette with free standing dinette OR 8K123 combo desk with buffet dinette table hide a leaf. Not sure if either of these adds or takes away any weight or which one weighs more than the other??? (perhaps 007 can jump in here on this?).

I believe there is also some ducted furnace heat to the compartment(s)? Not sure which one and whether you could get more ducting to other compartments as a special order?
Another question I have is can you get a gravity feed on the fresh water?

I really appreciate ALL of your inputs here very much, just wanted to let you know that

Daniel
Old 07-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #12

It sounds like you would have pretty similar setup to ours, probably very close weight wise. I would personally recommend having 2 AC units. Even though we've only had ours since April, we have experienced some 90-95+ degree sunny temps and a single AC unit would be straining a bit to keep up, even with shades pulled, keeping the door mostly closed etc. Also, for resale value, even if you don't expect to travel in warm weather, future buyers may well want to have 2 units. I would NOT buy a 3401 with only a single unit.
Not sure about the gravity feed for water, but we wouldn't need it as we can easily suck water out of a container with the standard pump if needed.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
All the 2018 links are in the NEWMAR CORP Sticky top of forum and the old pull down list of 2018.
In QT's # 3 you will find BAY STAR Owners section with people that have upgrade their coach for Boone docking and one who did that and upgrade his coach to MA options, all the links below in my signature have info for your Newmar to be.
Enjoy the forum and good luck in your quest.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:08 AM   #14

Get the 2 AC units. At 100+ you need both. And it's a backup. While at Newmar a few weeks ago , waiting for my appointment , my zone 1 AC died at camp Newmar. They were also having a heat wave of 102f for a couple of days. Lucky it happened there. But we had only the bedroom AC for 2 days. Thank God I had that second unit.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote