Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #1

2018 Bay Star Alignment - What a Difference

We came from a Class B Diesel and our expectations for the driveability of a F53 Gasser were low based on everything we read and a couple of test drives. Our new 2018 Bay Star drove okay, but definitely took way more attention and work than our previous MB Sprinter based RV even when towing a car.

After 6 months I finally got around to getting the front end alignment done. Our local Ford dealer that services F53 MH Chassis no longer performs alignments and recommended a nearby Goodyear Commercial Service Center.

It took the technician about an hour and a half to get everything dialed in but what a night and day difference the alignment made. Previously almost constant steering inputs were required and driving through narrow, concrete barrier lined construction zones were less than relaxing. Now the coach tracks true and the work load while driving is greatly reduced.

We have installed multiple suspension upgrades (front and rear anti-sway bars, front and rear Sumosprings, rear trac bar and steering stabilizer), but the biggest impact has definitely come from the alignment and steering stabilizer. The others modifications provided additional improvements, but they were all incremental. Fortunately I was able to install most of them myself so I didn't spend a lot of money on labor.
CUME91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #2

I suspect they increased your +caster. Can you share the before and after caster setting?
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #3

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
Old 10-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #4

Alignment results...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181020_171549.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	223190  
CUME91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:12 AM   #5

It looks to me like a bit of "misinformation" from the marketing dept. JMO.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
It looks to me like a bit of "misinformation" from the marketing dept. JMO.
Can you clarify what you mean? I don't understand your point.

But, according to the manual for my Newmar, it is recommended that after loading the motorhome, you get the front end aligned. Although our Newmar had two previous owners, after getting new tires, I had my coach aligned and the technician that did it said that it had not been done since leaving the factory based upon the condition of the sealant used by Ford on the suspension parts. And, there was a need to have an alignment.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:03 PM   #7

The report is not complete. Why are the before numbers from the alignment machine not on the report.

The penciled part of the report suggests the LH caster was reduced from 6.7 to 4.5 degrees and the RH caster was reduced from 5.5 to 5.1 degrees.

This relationship defies the logic of caster effects and someone "in the know" went out of their way to avoid anyone "in the know" to objectively decipher the data. IMO
Old 10-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #8

OK...I understand your point. The report that I received after getting my MH aligned is much more complete.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:38 PM   #9

What if....

If the penciled part of the report is the after LH caster at 6.7 degrees and the after RH caster at 5.5 degrees then it could elicit the OPs favourable response. It might drive well on the left hand side of the road crown which happens on a freeway. But that is not what the reported numbers say.