Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2018, 07:43 PM   #1

2018 Bay Star Entrance Step Lockout

On our new 2018 Bay Star when we turn step power switch off with the steps extended the steps will stay extended regardless of door position as described in the manual. This is a good thing and operates as expected.

However, we are unable to lock the steps in the retracted position. Per the Owners Guide..."Turning off the power with the step retracted will keep the step in a retracted position." When we follow this procedure the stairs continue to extend and retract based on the door position as if the switch were turned on.

Any suggestions?
CUME91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2018, 07:50 PM   #2

Kwikee is "protecting" you from shutting off the step, forgetting that you did that, opening the door, not looking where you're going and doing a face plant.
You can add a relay to drop power to the step circuit breaker and install a switch on the dash to disable the step.
If you go this route, the face plant liability is on you.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:52 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUME91 View Post
On our new 2018 Bay Star when we turn step power switch off with the steps extended the steps will stay extended regardless of door position as described in the manual. This is a good thing and operates as expected.

However, we are unable to lock the steps in the retracted position. Per the Owners Guide..."Turning off the power with the step retracted will keep the step in a retracted position." When we follow this procedure the stairs continue to extend and retract based on the door position as if the switch were turned on.

Any suggestions?

On my 2016 CS I brought this error in the owners manual. After they researched it for several days, the answer was it’s a safety feature keeping people from falling out with step not out. They said the book is wrong.
I brought up the fact that if I parked near a curb the step would get stuck on the curb, they said that’s the way it is.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:53 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Some temporarily put a magnet on the door switch
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:14 PM   #5

Thanks. I expected it was a safety feature, but the error in the manual lead me to belief it was possible to lock them in the retracted position from the factory.

The main reason that I am even slightly interested in this seemingly dangerous condition is that the steps when extended are dangerously close to the wall of our storage unit.
CUME91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUME91 View Post
Thanks. I expected it was a safety feature, but the error in the manual lead me to belief it was possible to lock them in the retracted position from the factory.

The main reason that I am even slightly interested in this seemingly dangerous condition is that the steps when extended are dangerously close to the wall of our storage unit.
If you park next to a curb, the step can hit the curb and stop early or the motor will push it over the concrete (crunch).
I added the circuit bypass in a couple of hours. If you go that route, be sure to use a relay. The switch alone isn't rated for the amperage the step draws. I have the part number for a switch that pops right into the dash cutout.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote