Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2017, 03:32 PM   #1

2018 Bay Star Intelligence

We're planning on ordering a 2018 Bay Star 3113 (like you didn't know that since I have several threads about it ). We're excited to see what's going to be changed or added for 2018. I know a little but I thought those of us interested in the new Bay Stars, or even Bay Star Sports, could share what we know and what we discover over the coming days and weeks.

If you weren't aware, Newmar is holding their dealer meetings this week. Some preliminary information is out there but not much. Just bread crumbs really. So, I'll start off with what I've discovered about the Bay Stars:

The front cap got some changes. Looks like they added some LEDs and changed the grill. Exterior colors at the dealer show are different but those might be custom.

Here's some links:

http://www.mountcomfortrv.com/fckimages/IMG_7330.JPG

http://www.mountcomfortrv.com/fckimages/IMG_7308(1).JPG

The Intrigue color scheme (black/gray) is staying but Angora (brown/tan) is gone in favor of something called Whitecap. Calypso Maple replaced Empire maple. I'd guess it's a darker stain. Astoria and Sienna remain.

Got that from the order forms on Newmar's site along with some of the other info below. This link has been posted somewhere on here already so I don't think it's secret:

https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...Mode=&nextURL=

There are several new Bay Star floor plans and some 2017 plans went away:

3208, 3306, and 3516 went away. The 3009, 3113, 3124, 3333, 3401, 3403 and 3518 carried over to 2018. New floor plans include the 3406, 3414, and 3532.

Prices did go up but only enough to cover inflation, give or take.

Several new options are available according to the build sheets for the 3113 (Note: I didn't check all the build sheets so there could be more):

Bose Solo 5 Sound Bar Sound System - $497
Wifi Ranger Skypro Pack Router - $1088
Xite Dash Radio, 6" Monitor With Rand Mcnally Navigation - $2099
Flag Pole Bracket - $132
Water Filter, For Entire Unit - $179

Notably, the Sony Surround Sound option went away. There is no listing of standard features so some items maybe have been added or been removed.

Finally, looking at the floor plans on the build sheets it appears there might be more room between the driver's seat and driver's slide. The driver's seat being limited by the slide is problem in many coaches, just jsut Bay Stars or Newmars. Comparing the new drawing to those in the 2017 brochure, it looks like the small section of wall between the slide and the driver's window is a bit longer.

Could be the difference between the more technical drawing in the build sheets and the floor plans in the bochure. It also does appear to be any changes behind that section to account for the difference. Maybe the plan was lengthened a little bit and the cockpit got a bit larger. Who knows? When more pictures are available, comparisons can be made.

That's what I found out so far. Post up when you find something or add a link to any new info you find.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2017, 07:57 PM   #2

You are bringing back memories of last year when we anxiously awaited the details on the new lineup. We ordered our 3009 on May 18th and took delivery on August 15. One of the specials we did was to change a few of the exterior colors so keep that in mind if you don't like the colors. We also did a special on the backsplash and the wall board. Well worth it if it's something you don't like and you basically get a custom version!

Good thread to start!
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:24 PM   #3

Dan you sure have been doing your home work.I will be following your
forward progress.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:53 PM   #4

Yeah, I might be a bit excited.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #5

Well, it's Saturday and I've found nothing new but looking at what I have found a bit closer, a few things popped out.

Looks like they Wingard Cellular in Motion Wifi system is an option. It got lost in all the other Wingard options, of which there might be some new satellite options but I don't know enough about them to tell. Their 4G data is pretty steep at $150 for 20GB, however. You can two lines with unlimited data through T-Mobile and Verizon for less than that. Even the point where they throttle the speed is higher at 30GB and 22GB respectively.

I also noticed the Bay Star Sport 3013 went away and was replaced by the 3113, the twin of the Bay Star 3113, including a king bed. You can get a king bed in a Sport!

Hoping to keep this going until more info comes out and this can become a one stop shop for 2018 Bay Stars.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #6

Bay Star Graphics

Steinbring Motorcoach has all the new paint schemes up on their site. I've attached the Bay Star and Bay Star Sport images.

Bay Star:

Bay Star Sport:

Old 05-04-2017, 10:20 PM   #7

Talked to our dealer today. He emailed us some info on the '18 Bay Stars. No pictures or anything fun but Newmar is making some small improvements.

The most important is they have optimized the driver's slide to allow the driver's seat to move back further. This was a design flaw, IMHO and in a lot of coaches, but Newmar has apparently addressed it. That's good news.

Beyond that, it's got a new front and rear cap, a new dash and instrument cluster, bigger showers in some of the new floor plans and a bunch of small stuff that will make the coaches just a bit more livable (nightstands by the beds, usb ports for the driver, moving some switches around, etc.).

Anyway, nothing earth shattering. No robot butlers or flight mode. Hoping to see one soon but it will probably be a few weeks, according to out dealer.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:06 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have any idea what they did to the driver side slide on the 3113? I'm going to do something to mine and am interested is seeing what Newmar did.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
Do you have any idea what they did to the driver side slide on the 3113? I'm going to do something to mine and am interested is seeing what Newmar did.
If you look at the new floor plan and compare it to the 2017 floor plan, the small section of wall directly behind the driver's window and is longer:

https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...tem=8BBSCA3113

It looks like they either moved the slide back or made it shorter. This is the quote from Newmar in the info I was sent:

Quote:
The opening of the off door side slide, immediately behind the driver's seat on select models, has been optimized so as to provide more travel to the driver's seat and provide more leg room for taller drivers.
I can't see any difference in floor plan. Nothing is missing and everything appears to be the same size (sofa, kitchen cabinets, etc.). Seems like they did as they said. They optimized the opening to gain a few inches.

In your case, you can modify the slide trim or even the slide itself slightly. Look over this thread for ideas:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/newm...-315217-4.html
Old 05-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm familiar with that thread and will start by removing the fascia board to see exactly what is back there.

Unless the slide is shorter or has been moved to the rear of the coach, I can't think of any fix other than a narrower fascia to leave more room for the seat and perhaps making the front slide mechanism a little more compact.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
I'm familiar with that thread and will start by removing the fascia board to see exactly what is back there.

Unless the slide is shorter or has been moved to the rear of the coach, I can't think of any fix other than a narrower fascia to leave more room for the seat and perhaps making the front slide mechanism a little more compact.
The new floor plan looks like they moved it back. There is more wall between the slide and the window
Old 05-09-2017, 07:51 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm just a casual observer but some of the more important changes such as the storage bin doors opening left to right instead of up and down and even just 6 more inches behind the drivers seat,may seem insignificant but really can add to the overall quality of ownership of these motorhomes. New front grilles, color schemes,etc. keep new customers looking. Now if they could really,significantly improve how these gas models handle and drive without the customers having to work it out on their own. For the manufacturer that does that...then they would have my vote for sure!!!
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattVader View Post
I'm just a casual observer but some of the more important changes such as the storage bin doors opening left to right instead of up and down and even just 6 more inches behind the drivers seat,may seem insignificant but really can add to the overall quality of ownership of these motorhomes. New front grilles, color schemes,etc. keep new customers looking. Now if they could really,significantly improve how these gas models handle and drive without the customers having to work it out on their own. For the manufacturer that does that...then they would have my vote for sure!!!
I agree, the cosmetic changes are nice but don't really matter. The side opening storage doors, which I think we added in 2016 or 17, and the extra room behind the driver's seat are subtle but very important.

Can't speak to the handling. We haven't test driven a unit. We aren't going to get a different coach based on handling anyway. It is what it is. and honestly, reviews are mixed. I've seen folks that think gas coaches are death traps and others that claim they ride and handle great. Probably depends on what you're background is. I've always owned trucks and Jeeps. They don't handle well, get pushed around in the wind, etc. But if you drive a sports car, I could see where a truck derived chassis would be scary.

BTW, to keep the thread on track it looks like all info has been locked down until June 3rd. I keep looking for some leaked info but looks like Newmar is trying hard to keep everything a secret.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #14

I'm bummed that they're making the Bay Star longer, I was sad when they discontinued the 2903 version of the bay star as it was just like the BSS inside but on taller wheels and with slightly nicer finishes. The taller wheels made the undercompartments larger and of course they opened to the side. I really think there's a continued market for these smaller nice class A for folks that love their class A's but go to places where things over 30 foot aren't allowed, or just don't want to have to rely on getting the larger spaces.