Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #1

2018 Bay Star Tour and Report

We just got back from our visit to Tom Lindstrom RV in California to see a Bay Star 3113 and order our own. Let me start off by saying that Tom is a great guy. He had the coach fired up, AC on and everything ready to go. He showed us around and then let us video the coach while he left us to our own devices. When we were ready, we went over our order, specials and the price. We got what we think is a very fair deal and it took no more than half an hour. It is a Bay Star, after all, and not a King Aire

Not only that, but Tom will also add 300 watts of solar before delivery, again for a very fair price, and will deliver our coach to Las Vegas for no cost.

As for the coach, one issue I wanted to check was the optimized slide. Tom and I both agree the 2018 has 2 or 3 more inches of room for the driver's seat. I adjusted the seat to where I felt comfortable and the slide missed the back by 3/4 of an inch when we pulled it in. You still can't max out the seat but there is more room and probably enough for most drivers to find a comfortable position. Good job, Newmar!

I forgot to check out the sink/drain issue. Just too much going on.

BTW, the new cockpit table is much nicer. Narrower than the old oval one so there's more room to sit. And it costs less than the old one too.

As for our order, we should have our coach in November. Tom did tell us that Newmar is slammed with orders. He was asked to pre-order more than 6 months out, something Tom said wasn't normal. Thankfully, he's got plenty of builds already ordered and can substitute our coach for a stock order. He did say Guaranty and Happy Daze (I think) have 350 and 250 coaches on order right now (those numbers could be reversed. In any case, Newmar is telling dealers to order now or get shut out later.

The good news is the coach looked great and it was exactly the same colors ours will be. It had a few options we didn't want and was missing a few we did otherwise we might have bought it...except, someone already bought it last Saturday, the same day it arrived At least they said they were buying it but won't be back for a week or so.

We had a few special requests and here's the result, approved or not. I suspect you have a lot more leeway on DP's and luxury coaches. Tom shut us down pretty quick on a couple that he's never had any luck getting approved.

Dual solar prewire (4 x 6 ga wire)? We probably don't need it but shouldn't be a problem. Better to have it and not need it...

Tile in the bedroom? They do it all the time.

Elongated toilet (Dometic 320)? Nope, they won't do it. But it's an easy swap, two bolts and a water pipe.

60 or 80 watt battery charge controller? Tom says he's never had much luck with electrical changes in Bay Stars, so no. But a couple hundred bucks and and easy swap later on.

Sleep Number Air Mattress? Nope, reserved for DP's. We'll just buy our own and probably for less that Newmar would have us pay anyway.

Conduit from roof to AV cabinet? Yes, this they will do.

Add outside satellite hookup? Again, yes.

Delete wall art and clock? No clock in the 3113, but the wall art is a goner.

Ordering was a breeze and we really enjoy talking with Tom (he sells coaches to Shaquille O'Neal and is a big Dodgers fan). We highly recommend him. You might be able to shave a few buck of somewhere else but Tom's got a fantastic reputation, does one heck of a PDI and delivery and is super easy to work with. No pressure and no B.S.

Now we just have to wait 3 1/2 months

If you have any questions, ask away and we'll see if we can answer them. And, we'll be posting a video of our experience and a small tour of the coach week after next. We'll post up when it's live on YouTube for anyone interested. I think that's allowed.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Congrats Dan. We are on the East Coast and ordered our 3406 through Independence RV. We are still waiting to find out if and how far up ours will be swapped with a stock order because of how busy they are.

Regarding the Sleep Number bed, there is a 2017 BS 3306 in CT on RVTrader that shows the invoice and it has the SN bed as a special. Worst case, and we had this approved and signed off on, was to pre-wire the outlet for the pump inside the bed frame. DW wants a king in the house so we are going to move the current queen to the motorhome. We also were able to upgrade the 34'11" chassis to 24K!

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4Work View Post
Congrats Dan. We are on the East Coast and ordered our 3406 through Independence RV. We are still waiting to find out if and how far up ours will be swapped with a stock order because of how busy they are.

Regarding the Sleep Number bed, there is a 2017 BS 3306 in CT on RVTrader that shows the invoice and it has the SN bed as a special. Worst case, and we had this approved and signed off on, was to pre-wire the outlet for the pump inside the bed frame. DW wants a king in the house so we are going to move the current queen to the motorhome. We also were able to upgrade the 34'11" chassis to 24K!

Bill
Didn't think about an outlet for the pump. I'll ask on that. And we can't upgrade the chassis, though we'd like to. On the shorter models, Newmar Doesn't have access to 24k chassis with the proper wheel base, or so we've been told.

Congrats on your order!
Old 07-27-2017, 09:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congratulations! I'm looking forward to your video. We've been in ours for the last 2 weeks-New York, Vermont, and now Quebec. Is there enough room behind the toilet to put in the 320?

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
Congratulations! I'm looking forward to your video. We've been in ours for the last 2 weeks-New York, Vermont, and now Quebec. Is there enough room behind the toilet to put in the 320?
Glad you're enjoying yours. There appears to be enough room. The plans say the 320 is 1.25 inches longer on the wall side. There looked to be plenty of space...at least in the 3113 we saw.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:41 PM   #6

I almost forgot. I saw a Bay Star...maybe Mountain Comfort's videos...that had adjustable shelves in the bedroom wards. The 3113 we saw did not. But Tom thought we could get them as a special...maybe Mountain Comfort did or they come in other Bay Star models ... but we ordered them in the rear ward and will keep the forward ward for hanging clothes.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:08 PM   #7

Dan,

Congratulations on your new coach. We purchased our Ventana from Tom. It was a terrific buying experience.

When we bought there was no mention of Tom being able to add solar panels. We did add a special of solar prewire and upgraded to 6ga. The stock conductor Newmar used at the time was 10ga.

Does Tom do this at his facility? I would be interested in how this works out for you. Would love to add a bit of solar topside.

Jerry
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Dan,

Congratulations on your new coach. We purchased our Ventana from Tom. It was a terrific buying experience.

When we bought there was no mention of Tom being able to add solar panels. We did add a special of solar prewire and upgraded to 6ga. The stock conductor Newmar used at the time was 10ga.

Does Tom do this at his facility? I would be interested in how this works out for you. Would love to add a bit of solar topside.

Jerry

Yes, one his guys does the install. We learned about it when we visited last April. A guy from England bought a coach to tour the country this summer and had Tom get it outfitted, including solar. We asked when we ordered and Tom told us it wasn't an issue and they did it a lot.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:03 AM   #9

Thanks Dan. Welcome to the Newmar family.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:47 AM   #10

Congratulations! We're loving our Baystar 3401. I keep hearing Tom Lindstrom is a really great guy to go to. He's on our short list if in the future if we decide to upgrade.