RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2020, 09:51 PM   #1

2018 Baystar 3401 large slide slide locks/protectors

First, thank you all for your responses on my previous slide question. This forum is invaluable. Now, in looking at the front of the large slide it is clear previous owner removed something from the wall- there are 4 holes near the top in a vertical line where something appears to have been. Also, 4 screws missing from the inner slide area. However there are no similar holes near the floor area. When looking at a new one there is a black hinged device that is connected from top to bottom which appears to be some sort of brace that is hinged and moves when the slide goes in and out. Dealer said it looks like where a slide lock may have been. They say they will order a new one, as well as a "slide protector", whatever that is. I don't know if it needs this device or not. Many coaches we looked at have nothing of the sort connected to their slides. Obviously the 2020 has a bracket installed for some purpose-- but it is attached at top and bottom. The 2018 did not have anything screwed into the lower area like the new one. Any thoughts? Slide seems to work just fine..just nervous with this new purchase. thanks-

honjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2020, 10:26 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It sounds like slide locks. If you can post photos it will help.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #3

Our slides are extended for the next 10 days or I would take a pix. What you are seeing on the BS 2020 are "auto locking" slide locks. Some older dp's have had them, but now the BS does also. Previously there was only a top slide lock which had to be manually locked and unlocked. If one forgot to unlock and tried to extend--MAJOR damage could occur. There was a tubular metal bar that came with the manual slide locks to lock and unlock.

Numerous videos on YouTube showing how to lock and unlock. Probably by now there are videos for the auto locking slide locks.

As you know--the bottom of the slide has the mechanism to extend/retract the slide--nothing on the top So the top usually lags the bottom. .So as the bottom comes in, the vertical bar which is attached to the top slide lock forces the the top to retract and clamps it tight against the seals. Newmar said to always use the slide locks to keep the top of the slide tight against the wall when traveling. But many have found it a real pita--especially the bedroom slide, so they don't use the manual locks.
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #4

Slide lock for sure. This is my first coach to have these and I find them interesting. Both my salesman and the wise old veteran who did my PDI said not to worry about them. I.e. donít use them. My small bedroom slide and the back of my full wall slide have VERY limited access and itís almost impossible to use them anyway. I DO use the front one on the full wall slide because itís really the only one I can get to. Havenít had any problems so far.
PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Within this link you will find answers on slide problems and the different slide locks they have had and what could go wrong, plus your FWS System, locks have always been placed by Newmar for there slides to compress the slide seals for no water intrusion or dust and structurally strengthen wall enclosure traveling down road.
Its your call if you do not want to use them.
Some bars in tight areas may have a window at end of slide to access and a bar to help lock also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #6

We've been told that the slide locks are not to "lock" the slide in place so they don't extend or fall open while driving. Can't happen. They are meant to pull the slide in tight to the seals so water can't intrude when driving in heavy rain.

We don't use ours, never have. All we do is check them after traveling to make sure they haven't engaged (highly unlikely because gravity) since that can do significant damage to the slide. Better safe than sorry.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:44 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Slide protector might be the plastic floor protectors that are removable and are placed under the slide rollers. Newmar provided me with 5 of them, one for each roller.

jl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide