Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #1

2018 Dutch Star air intake issue

My neighbor just bought a new 40' Dutch Star and may have a problem with air filter vacuum on the 450 ISL. The filter vacuum gauge is reading 12 after only 2100 miles. He took it to Cummins and they pulled the filter and it was spotless, found no issues. Cummins reset the gauge and after the 18 mile trip home, it was back to reading 12. Runs fine.

His concern is that the past 3 Cummins-powered pushers he owned, including a 2016 Entegra with the same engine, all stayed at 4 on the vacuum gauge, even after 15k miles and there is something restricting the Dutch Star intake. The intake hose and gauge hose are not kinked. Any ideas?
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2017, 10:34 AM   #2

Steve, These are indicators at best! I have had accurate ones and totally wrong ones. My current coach is of the later nature. The Cummins dealer said "Some work other not so well, we always remove and inspect the filter. I would not worry about it.

Peter
Old 10-30-2017, 11:47 AM   #3

Can the shop measure the vacuum using an external gauge to ensure it is to spec?
Old 10-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our 2002 DSDP ISC Cummins always read 15 as a minimum after being reset and run.

Present rig shows 0 no matter what.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:42 PM   #5

11 or 12 is the vacuum reading for a new filter. When it gets to 25 you may need to start worrying if you haven't changed it by then due to age.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
In 14 years of owning a DP, I've never even looked at or reset the vacuum gauge. They're absolutely worthless. If you drive under 10K a year, change the filter every three years. If you drive over 10K a year, change it every two years. Use a Sharpie to mark the date on the filter and forget about the gauge.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:44 PM   #7

We bought new a 04 Essex with 500 ISM and with a new a new paper filter the gauge would read around 18. After doing some checking decided to take some of my Pro Stock drag racing experience and built a air scope plus went with a K&N air filter. What a difference. Pickup 3 psi turbo boost, maybe 3 to 5 mph on 6% plus grades and now gauge reads around 5. If you have restriction numbers like 16 or higher with a new filter you aren't getting enough air to your engine. The problem on the Essex was to many 90 degree turns and going from 7 to 5 inch piping. Did this in 06 and have put 125K miles since change over. If you don't have high restriction numbers then you don't need to do this. No change in fuel economy.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:00 PM   #8

Thank you for the great information. I will pass it on and update this thread if anything changes.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
We bought new a 04 Essex with 500 ISM and with a new a new paper filter the gauge would read around 18. After doing some checking decided to take some of my Pro Stock drag racing experience and built a air scope plus went with a K&N air filter. What a difference. Pickup 3 psi turbo boost, maybe 3 to 5 mph on 6% plus grades and now gauge reads around 5. If you have restriction numbers like 16 or higher with a new filter you aren't getting enough air to your engine. The problem on the Essex was to many 90 degree turns and going from 7 to 5 inch piping. Did this in 06 and have put 125K miles since change over. If you don't have high restriction numbers then you don't need to do this. No change in fuel economy.
Nice Tom, willing to send a picture of the intake mod ?
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:36 PM   #10

Dutchstar on a Freightliner chassis have a known duststorm issue. You can search the forum for this. During delivery, the driver may have idled in a dusty area, filling the filter with dust.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:40 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We had the exact same issue when we bought our 2016 DSDP 4018 last year. I had Freightliner check the air filter and it was clean. They changed the gauge and it still read way too high. I finally gave up. Guess what? After now 16,000 miles, I reset it,, just for fun and the gauge now shows no blockage at all. As one of the posters said: They are crap. I will make it a routine to change the air filter every 2 years and totally ignore the gauge.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:21 AM   #12
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
We had the exact same issue when we bought our 2016 DSDP 4018 last year. I had Freightliner check the air filter and it was clean. They changed the gauge and it still read way too high. I finally gave up. Guess what? After now 16,000 miles, I reset it,, just for fun and the gauge now shows no blockage at all. As one of the posters said: They are crap. I will make it a routine to change the air filter every 2 years and totally ignore the gauge.
A reading of 12 to 15 is normal for me. The gauge started reading better at 10,000 miles I found there was a very small crack in the plastic. I bought a new gauge and now it reads 12 to 15.

Tags
air, dutch star