Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2022, 07:34 PM   #1

2018 Dutch Star FWS Surging - Normal?

Hi All,
My wife and I are considering a used 2018 DS. When operating the full wall slide, on the way in it was ‘surging’ quit a lot until about the halfway point - smooth after that. Until it smoothed out it was rocking a coach a bit. It wasn’t super violent or making noise, but not having any prior experience I can tell you it was unexpected. Is this normal, simple maintenance/repair, or a precursor to something bad?

Appreciate your thoughts/experience.
Whoacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2022, 11:01 PM   #2

They do a little bit and it is really pronounced if the air bags are not aired up or the jacks down. I would definitely have it checked out as a condition of the sale.
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 06:50 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoacz View Post
Hi All,
My wife and I are considering a used 2018 DS. When operating the full wall slide, on the way in it was ‘surging’ quit a lot until about the halfway point - smooth after that. Until it smoothed out it was rocking a coach a bit. It wasn’t super violent or making noise, but not having any prior experience I can tell you it was unexpected. Is this normal, simple maintenance/repair, or a precursor to something bad?

Appreciate your thoughts/experience.

Procedures for retracting FWS on a 2018 is to:
1. Run the engine until the suspension is fully inflated
2. Retract stabilizers after #1 is complete
3. Retract FWS….if it doesn’t retract smoothly with “minimal” jerking you need to have the slide checked by a qualified Newmar service center
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:21 AM   #4

You might want to try wiping all those plates underneath with a dry lubricant. Doing that reduced the amount of back and forth movement on mine.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:55 AM   #5

Newmar slides are the bumpiest, noisiest, jerkiest and slopiest in the industry. I just close my eyes, plug my ears, hit the button and hope for the best. So far all is well. [emoji846]
Old 02-13-2022, 09:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Newmar slides are the bumpiest, noisiest, jerkiest and slopiest in the industry. I just close my eyes, plug my ears, hit the button and hope for the best. So far all is well. [emoji846]
I love it but you are correct. My old 2003 National Tropical never ever had one slide issue and they were always quiet. To the poster who mentioned lubing the plates underneath-they are only on electric slides. The full wall slide is all hydraulic and no guide plates underneath. Considering Newmar loves to brag about inventing the slide out, it appears they have not tried to improve the "wheel" much after their initial work. You think buy now, these things would glide like a skater on ice!
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:23 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Side Note:.....If you are retracting any large slide and it starts to jump around, stop, let it come to rest and start again. Like a boat, let it settle down if its rocking.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Side Note:.....If you are retracting any large slide and it starts to jump around, stop, let it come to rest and start again. Like a boat, let it settle down if its rocking.

I do this for all the slides! Most times, all goes good, but now and then it gets a little jerky. My bedroom slide never jerks around. The FWS (all hydraulic) is good most of the time, but my kitchen slide is the one that jerks the most. Newmar said that is normal-ok, I guess so, but I let it settle anyhow otherwise you are constantly loading and unloading the motor which could break stuff.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star