Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2018 Freightliner vs Spartan DS 4369 -my observations

20018 Freightliner vs Spartan DS 4369 observations
Looking to purchase a 2018 4369 Dutch Star on a Spartan or Freightliner chassis. Have been reading for months about the plus and minus of each and decided to do a same day comparison test drive on 2018 4369 Dutch Star on Spartan Chassis followed by same day drive on same route with Freightliner DS 4369. Route was 20 min. driving - smooth highway, bumpy country roads, and finally a large parking lot to simulate driving in and out of my 28 ft driveway onto my 24-foot street at a right angle. On the highway, both were similar. Freightliner had more fan noise on start up to 30 mph. Spartan seemed to porpoise on bumpy roads, RR tracks, and while coming to planned quick stops for test purposes. Noticeable difference but very slight and not uncomfortable at all. Braking same on both, and solid. Coming out of my simulated ‘25 foot driveway’ onto a ‘24-foot street’ the Freightliner turned almost 2 feet tighter, noticeably more turn while watching the tag. Salesman reassured me that the Spartan ball joint problems and older Freightliner tag alignment issues have been resolved over the past 1-2 yrs. My experience has been driving class C coaches. Have tested now 6 Newmars, DS & VT 37-43'. My many hours of reading strongly suggest I should go Spartan, but other than the fan noise I preferred the Freightliner ride slightly that day. Appreciate your thoughts,.and I greatly appreciate all the experience and knowledge on this website !
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2017, 05:16 PM   #2

There has been a lot of information the last couple months on which chassis to select. The Spartan chassis does have disc brakes on drive axle and FL still has drum brakes on drive axle. The FL chassis has 5/16 frame rails and the Spartan has 3/8 thick frame with more frame supports. All the Spartan chassis I have seen have the better Alcoa wheels and FL has Accuride. When it comes to wiring Spartan has labels on all chassis wiring which is better then FL. As a 20 year Newmar owner with a 18 London Aire to me the best choice is Spartan. Really like there service and there service centers.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
There has been a lot of information the last couple months on which chassis to select. The Spartan chassis does have disc brakes on drive axle and FL still has drum brakes on drive axle. The FL chassis has 5/16 frame rails and the Spartan has 3/8 thick frame with more frame supports. All the Spartan chassis I have seen have the better Alcoa wheels and FL has Accuride. When it comes to wiring Spartan has labels on all chassis wiring which is better then FL. As a 20 year Newmar owner with a 18 London Aire to me the best choice is Spartan. Really like there service and there service centers.

Freightliner has same Alcoa wheels, which I love as they are so easy to keep up & keep wheels shining!
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I was just at FL and questioned the tag axle issue to Pat, my tech, and the factory tour. It's confirmed a dead issue, it was a specific manufacturer for the tag which is no longer used. My 2017 is not affected and is perfectly aligned.

I love my FL and intend to stick with it. Great service, many reasons beyond that. Sadly Spartan came in 3rd place in this article I got today, FL took the GOLD.

2017 MotorHome Readers' Choice Award Winners | Motorhome Magazine
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Just for thought....

I believe you would have seen more difference in the ride if the coaches were at “normal” cruising weight. They were probably very light.

Typically dealers have the coaches with very little fuel in them and no water...that alone adds up to 1400 lbs of 100 gallons of diesel and 100 gallons of water.

Plus none of your “stuff” was in them which could add several more thousand pounds. They are designed to ride well when loaded......

....also did you check the tire pressures of each? This can have marked effects on drivability if they were substantially different.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:30 PM   #6

You are very lucky to be able to test drive both back to back. We ordered a new 2018 DS back in August ( for March delivery) and our local dealer only had a FL in stock to test drive. I read all the posts and did consider a Spartan but ultimately choose a FL due to lack of Spartan service center in my city ( there is a FL one). I’m sure you will be happy with your coach regardless of the chassis under it. Safe travels

Mike
Kimik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contender View Post
20018 Freightliner vs Spartan DS 4369 observations
Looking to purchase a 2018 4369 Dutch Star on a Spartan or Freightliner chassis. Have been reading for months about the plus and minus of each and decided to do a same day comparison test drive on 2018 4369 Dutch Star on Spartan Chassis followed by same day drive on same route with Freightliner DS 4369. Route was 20 min. driving - smooth highway, bumpy country roads, and finally a large parking lot to simulate driving in and out of my 28 ft driveway onto my 24-foot street at a right angle. On the highway, both were similar. Freightliner had more fan noise on start up to 30 mph. Spartan seemed to porpoise on bumpy roads, RR tracks, and while coming to planned quick stops for test purposes. Noticeable difference but very slight and not uncomfortable at all. Braking same on both, and solid. Coming out of my simulated ‘25 foot driveway’ onto a ‘24-foot street’ the Freightliner turned almost 2 feet tighter, noticeably more turn while watching the tag. Salesman reassured me that the Spartan ball joint problems and older Freightliner tag alignment issues have been resolved over the past 1-2 yrs. My experience has been driving class C coaches. Have tested now 6 Newmars, DS & VT 37-43'. My many hours of reading strongly suggest I should go Spartan, but other than the fan noise I preferred the Freightliner ride slightly that day. Appreciate your thoughts,.and I greatly appreciate all the experience and knowledge on this website !
Appreciate your observations. A 2019 DSDP to replace the 2016 after an Alaska trip is planned. I've had a lot of issues with FL but I'm leaning on another simple because a service facility is close. It's a tough choice you've made easier.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:57 PM   #8
Rd1

If you had a chance, you might want to consider looking at the bear chassis from both manufacturer. It may be just as valuable as your back to back test drive.

FR chassis have been dominant in entry level (lighter) coaches and they work well enough. I have had a couple of those before. I don't think they had much presence in the hi-lines. I do not know where DS stands vs MA, LA and EX. The hi-lines are much too heavy and also very top heavy for FR. With all the baby boomers buying Rvs and the hi-lines sales rising, FR has jumped into that market as well. Probably the reason for some of their growing pains.

Just as a comparison, here are the A-arm and toe link design on SP vs FR. You can expand and look for yourself. One peculiar issue to observe, the bent toe link on driver side FR chassis. You just have to wonder, why would any engineer design a chassis from scratch with a bent toe link? That will make the front toe alignment kinda interesting, though, not impossible.

I do not know if DS uses the same chassis as MA, LA and EX. Next time at your dealer, you can turn the wheel all the way to the left to get a full view of the A-arm and toe links and compare the two chassis designs. On FR, the toe link is located in the front of the wheel assembly. SP has the toe link in the back side of the wheel assembly.

pics are from a 17LADP FR and a 17 EXDP SP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A_Arm (6).jpg
Views:	517
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	186279   Click image for larger version

Name:	A_Arm (1).jpg
Views:	518
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	186280  

Old 12-20-2017, 07:14 AM   #9

I drove a Tiffin Phaeton(06) for 45,000 miles on a Freightliner; then a Tiffin Phaeton(08) tag on a Spartan for 65,000 miles. I can say that I really could not tell a lot difference in the 2 except for the tag. I now have a Freightliner 2017 with comfort drive and all I can say is wow what a difference. I don't know if the chassis have improved that much since 08 or if it is the comfort drive. I can say that my tag Freightliner is a real pleasure to drive compared to my earlier MH's. Good luck with your search, either chassis will serve you well. Bill
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Just for thought....

I believe you would have seen more difference in the ride if the coaches were at “normal” cruising weight. They were probably very light.

Typically dealers have the coaches with very little fuel in them and no water...that alone adds up to 1400 lbs of 100 gallons of diesel and 100 gallons of water.

Plus none of your “stuff” was in them which could add several more thousand pounds. They are designed to ride well when loaded......

....also did you check the tire pressures of each? This can have marked effects on drivability if they were substantially different.
I agree with this 100%. In the last 3 years we have done a lot of research on different coaches and went through two. Many test drives in gas and DP from 38' to 45'. Once loaded you are changing the ride completely, plus most new factory coaches are out of alignment in the front when delivered to dealers. I think it would be extremely hard to pick based on driving two new empty coaches.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:18 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Out of alignment? No. They are aligned off the line at build by the chassis manufacturer.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #12

Some owners add 3 to 4 thousand pounds to their coach with add on items and supplies which does effect alignment.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Out of alignment? No. They are aligned off the line at build by the chassis manufacturer.

A naked chassis can’t be properly aligned ....it’s naked and doesn’t even have the “house” on top of it yet !

...yes both front wheels are pointing somewhat straight......but that is far from being aligned properly after there are many thousands upon thousands of pounds riding on the chassis.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Are we talking air ride when talking about adding all this weight or referring to loading up springs?

Comparing two empty coaches will be similar to comparing two loaded coaches. The ride height compensates for the load difference.

Tags
freightliner, spartan