Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2018 MA Keyless Entry - Unlock Entry Button

The Trimark electronic Access Security Keyless-entry CAN Multiplex System (e-ASK) is installed in our 2018 MADP. The keyfob has 4 buttons for unlocking/locking the entry/compartment doors. The Entry Unlock button unlocks the entry door AND the compartment doors. The Entry Lock button locks the entry door AND the compartment doors. The buttons for unlocking and locking the compartments only operator on the compartment doors.

I would expect that the Entry buttons would only operate the entry door and do nothing for the compartment doors.

Also, when entering the access code on the door handle and then pressing 1 or 2 BOTH the entry door and the compartment doors unlock. Entering the access code and then 3 or 4 unlocks just the compartment doors.

So from the keyfob and the door handle, when attempting to unlock just the entry door, the cargo doors get unlocked too. I'm wondering if all Newmar motorhomes with this product operate this way or if the module was either installed misconfigured or perhaps some wires got crossed.

Here's a link to the installation manual which outlines several configurations (page 6), but my scenario doesn't seem match any of them.

CAN Multiplex System
Installation & Instructions

The module is located behind the instrument cluster. I haven't yet ventured into pulling things apart (its a new MH and has only been home for less than 24 hours).

Any insight or confirmation on how your system operates appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
flyboy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post

Any insight or confirmation on how your system operates appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
I think the New Aire has the same system. Mine works the same way.

By the way you need to change the default ADMIN code for the Trimark keypad or anyone can get into the coach.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #3

Our 2018 DS is the same as you are describing. We asked at FPU because it seems like it is programmed wrong. They told us that this is the way '18s are programmed. We thought about bringing it up again at some point with another tech and ask if it can be changed.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our FPU tech (Perry) mentioned that the 2018 models were programmed differently, but I couldn't understand way they would make a change that made the system less useful. He was willing to look into configuring the module differently for me, but frankly we ran out of time. The FPU experience was great. I (an engineer) took advantage of the opportunity to learn the detail of how many of the systems work. I have ideas of developing some Arduino based RV-C devices to turn the MH into more of a smart home (but that's will be a different thread).

The tech did point out the switch that is installed on the steering column to allow me to change the master code for the keyless entry. I then created a separate user code.
flyboy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:22 PM   #5

my 2018DS operates as you describe....

i don't have a problem with it....

if i am inside and want to lock up the coach, i hit the lock button on the dash...it locks everything back up....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
Our FPU tech (Perry) mentioned that the 2018 models were programmed differently, but I couldn't understand way they would make a change that made the system less useful.
Exactly!
Old 12-10-2017, 06:35 PM   #7

That is just flat messed up. Operates as you would expect on my 2017DS. They should reprogram it for you.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:30 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
My 2017 worked nicely. 123441 door only, 123442 door and basement. This year either code does both. Not sure who got that bright idea. I looked at the owner manual and changing it is beyond my pay grade. I have an appointment at the dealer to have it “fixed”. Since it’s programmed that way I’m wondering if it will be under warranty. Here at Freedom RV in Tucson they didn’t seem to know what I was talking about, so I’m not sure I want to pay for their education.

Thanks for bringing this up a Mark, I thought it was only me since when I asked customer service they felt it was wrong too.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:09 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
My 2017 worked nicely. 123441 door only, 123442 door and basement.

Not sure if you are still using the default 12344 authority/access code you mentioned, but my unit has a small black switch at the bottom of the steering column on the left side to allow you to program a new authority code. Pushing it puts the system into Learn Mode as identified on page 13 of the referenced manual. The switch basically shorts the two pins that the document mentions.

How’s the range of your key fob? Mine wasn’t too good and my FPU tech surmised that it was because the antenna wire from this same keyless entry module that’s installed behind the instrument cluster was still wrapped in a bundle of wires. He separated the 3-4 foot long antenna wire from the bundle and laid it across under the dash. He had to attach something to the end of the antenna wire to use as a fish tape and pulled it out from the dash glove box looking compartment in front of the passenger seat. I mention this because if the dealer is going to change the dip switch settings on the Trimark unit you may want to correct your antenna wire if your key fob range isn’t all that great. I can unlock my coach from my kitchen door which is about 75 feet from the coach. Previously I was having issues when standing not far from the coach door.

I will add the reprogramming of the keyless entry to my list of DIY projects. To be done in the coming months. Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I don't want to change the authority code. It's fine. I want to change the functionality after that. Last year the 1 would unlock the entry 2 would unlock the bays. This year either 1 or 2 both do the same function. Customer service told me it was changed by "customer Request". How lame is that? They are trying to tell me a whole bunch of people called complaining that two different codes did two different things and that both codes should do the same function. Insulting... Obviously a programming error they won't take responsibility for.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #11

My New Aire has the same silly setup and I hope this can be fixed. My main issue is with having all the compartment locks activate every time I want to unlock or lock the entry door. Like all things mechanical these locks will wear out and break, having the unnecessary cycles on the compartment locks makes no sense.

If anyone finds a solution please keep us posted.
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Customer service told me it was changed by "customer Request". How lame is that? They are trying to tell me a whole bunch of people called complaining that two different codes did two different things and that both codes should do the same function. Insulting... Obviously a programming error they won't take responsibility for.
Customer request
I don't think so...I find it very annoying. Getting back to the RV and I just want to open the door and go inside but instead the stupid cargo doors unlock too.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:47 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Please let customer service know. Don't leave me hanging out in the wind alone...
Your name and coach number.

customerservice@newmarcorp.com
Old 12-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe someone else contacted customer service about this because I got an email from them today telling me they are contacting Trimark to see if there’s something we can do. Squeaky Wheel. Don’t quit now.