Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2020, 02:00 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to DSRamblers Send a message via MSN to DSRamblers Send a message via Yahoo to DSRamblers
2018 Roof Drains

What have you folks determined is the best way to unclog the roof drains and to keep them flowing?? I keep my roof clean but my drains seem to clog quite often.. I try and not park under pine trees when traveling. Thanks for your response!!!
DSRamblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2020, 02:20 PM   #2
hrt

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSRamblers View Post
What have you folks determined is the best way to unclog the roof drains and to keep them flowing?? I keep my roof clean but my drains seem to clog quite often.. I try and not park under pine trees when traveling. Thanks for your response!!!

The one time mine was truly clogged, I stuck the air hose in the bottom and gave a quick burst. Left a bit of a mess on me, but worked.
hrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:52 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Air or water from the bottom works to unplug. The key, however, is stopping stuff from getting in the drain. The covers Newmar installs only keeps the big stuff out. I removed them and stuff these in the roof drain cavity:

https://www.amazon.com/Assorted-Colo...s%2C317&sr=8-6

You have to pull them out every so often and rinse them out but they have worked for me.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:25 PM   #4

X2 on the nylon dish scouring pads. I’ve been using them in the roof drains for 3 years and have not had any problems with plugged drains. I clean and/or replace them when I wash and wax the coach.
ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:44 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I used a piece of #12 solid wire to push in from the top and then full pressure garden hose also from the top and it cleared. I put a piece of stainless steel screen (smaller holes) bent in a half round shape over Newmars screen and have not clogged again. Bought a roll of it from Lowes for a different project. The screen is just wedged in and has not moved.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #6
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
Air or water from the bottom works to unplug. The key, however, is stopping stuff from getting in the drain. The covers Newmar installs only keeps the big stuff out. I removed them and stuff these in the roof drain cavity:

https://www.amazon.com/Assorted-Colo...s%2C317&sr=8-6

You have to pull them out every so often and rinse them out but they have worked for me.
Do you put them under the Newmar covers or just remove the covers? I think I may have a kink in the hose on the drain near the driver. It plugs up very easily.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:18 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
DI think I may have a kink in the hose on the drain near the driver. It plugs up very easily.
In the event that you have a kink in the hose, you may find this post informative.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/201...ml#post4239906
flyboy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:09 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
Do you put them under the Newmar covers or just remove the covers? I think I may have a kink in the hose on the drain near the driver. It plugs up very easily.
Remove the originals and leave them off.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:30 PM   #9
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
Remove the originals and leave them off.
Thank you, done. Hope it works.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:45 AM   #10

My 10 year old 2011 Mountainaire has leaked at all 4 roof drains. Bad design or factory install, there is a gap over 1/2' between the drain cover (plate with holes) and the roof cut out that the factory filled with caulk. The caulk shrinks with age and at 5 years started separating and allowing water to go between the drain fixture and roof cutout ending up above the ceiling where it flows to the nearest (downhill) light fixture or ceiling opening. I've made plastic plates to fill the gap before recaulking but know this will have to be redone in a few years.
catsncoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #11

There's a foam product for house gutters called Gutterstuff that I used as I had some left over from my home gutters. I cut it to size and used silicone to attach it to the top of the stock drains. Same idea as some of the options others have mentioned.
Scott201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:52 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They should be installed with magnets
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof