Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2018, 10:00 PM   #1

2019 Canyon Star Changes

Of course every year the floor plans offered are changed but I was looking at the video below for the 3627 and noticed that the bath room had an exit door. But they also changed the TV's from Sony to Vizio, not a good thing in my opinion. Still trying to figure out how you get to the bathroom with the slides pulled in and the center counter in the way. Can't wait to see the new ones.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2018, 05:04 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
That an interesting point you make about that island prohibiting bathroom access with the slides pulled in.

When at that factory two weeks ago a couple of us were talking to a Newmar employee who happened to be an engineer responsible for working specials. Someone asked about aisle access and he stated that Newmar designs a coach's access to be 14" or 16" measured at average hip height (so no specials that would interfere with this measurement). Whichever it was (sorry for not remembering exactly), it was 2" greater than gov't requirements. I would hope this to be the case for this model as well.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like the new 3627 plan, but I wish it had a bath and a half. We've decided that's pretty much a requirement on any new coach we would ever get. I really do like the Canyon Stars. Very nice coaches.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #4

Just bought a 3627 from Buddy Gregg in Knoxville yesterday. We'll take delivery next week whenever they get it ready to go. We're in no hurry so they can take their time.

There is an exit door (with built in ladder) in the bathroom and you do need to climb over the toilet to use it. In the event of an emergency it will be a lot better than climbing out a window 8' off the ground but I doubt it will see everyday use.

When the slides are in there is plenty of room to access the rear of the coach by going around to driver side of the island. If you're an xxl kind of person it might be a tight squeeze but for the wife and I it can be done with no effort at all. Also, the left side refer door can't be opened with the slides in but extending the passenger side slide about 2" alleviates that. If Newmar would move the island a couple of inches forward it would be a good permanent solution.

I don't think it has Vizio TVs but we looked at about 50 different coaches so my memory may be wrong. We're not a TV family so we don't pay much attention to that kind of thing. We're also not fans of a bath and a half since there's only two of us in the coach. The extra half bath just seems like a lot of wasted space that could be better utilized in our case.

Once we take delivery we'll be spending about a month in the unit so I'll know a little more about it in a few weeks.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Just bought a 3627 from Buddy Gregg in Knoxville yesterday. We'll take delivery next week whenever they get it ready to go. We're in no hurry so they can take their time.

There is an exit door (with built in ladder) in the bathroom and you do need to climb over the toilet to use it. In the event of an emergency it will be a lot better than climbing out a window 8' off the ground but I doubt it will see everyday use.

When the slides are in there is plenty of room to access the rear of the coach by going around to driver side of the island. If you're an xxl kind of person it might be a tight squeeze but for the wife and I it can be done with no effort at all. Also, the left side refer door can't be opened with the slides in but extending the passenger side slide about 2" alleviates that. If Newmar would move the island a couple of inches forward it would be a good permanent solution.

I don't think it has Vizio TVs but we looked at about 50 different coaches so my memory may be wrong. We're not a TV family so we don't pay much attention to that kind of thing. We're also not fans of a bath and a half since there's only two of us in the coach. The extra half bath just seems like a lot of wasted space that could be better utilized in our case.

Once we take delivery we'll be spending about a month in the unit so I'll know a little more about it in a few weeks.
Congratulations on the new coach! Be sure and post some pictures. I didn't realize Newmar had started putting the rear doors on Canyon Stars. Thats great. I definitely would want that on my next rig. I do like the 3627, but in our case, we see the value to a bath and a half plan, so probably another plan for us.
jt
Old 08-12-2018, 09:14 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
I like the new 3627 plan, but I wish it had a bath and a half. We've decided that's pretty much a requirement on any new coach we would ever get. I really do like the Canyon Stars. Very nice coaches.
jt
Being new to all this 3 years ago we got the CS3953 and have loved it ever since, just decided to move up a little for future cross country plans. The bath and a half is one of the best things about this plan, especially since we tailgate a lot and have other use the bathroom in our coach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #7

Bath and a half is definitely a personal choice. Like I said previously, for us it's just 30 square feet of wasted space and we'd never have one. We tailgate a good bit too but in our crowd everyone just uses the bathroom in their own coach. In 20 years I can't remember a single bath ever being a problem. Depends on your own needs. I guess that's why they make so many different floorplans.

For us, the biggest decision was dinette or table/chairs. Went with the table/chairs. Time will tell if it was the right choice.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:07 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Bath and a half is definitely a personal choice. Like I said previously, for us it's just 30 square feet of wasted space and we'd never have one. We tailgate a good bit too but in our crowd everyone just uses the bathroom in their own coach. In 20 years I can't remember a single bath ever being a problem. Depends on your own needs. I guess that's why they make so many different floorplans.

For us, the biggest decision was dinette or table/chairs. Went with the table/chairs. Time will tell if it was the right choice.
We love the table and chairs. Much more versatile than a booth imho. We have actually pulled the table loose from the wall, added the leaf and put it long ways in the center of the coach and sat 6 people around it. I don't even like booths in restaurants, but that's just me.
jt
Old 08-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Bath and 1/2 is a personal choice, however, when I say tailgating, I'm not talking about everyone having an RV. At our tailgates 40-50 people is not unusual. The MH next to us has 40-50 people also, a lot use the portable johns, but we don't turn people away. Of course we normally know all of them, but I'm sure there have been some there we don't know. BTW: Just to put things in perspective, ours might be one of the smallest tailgates. One has to realize there are 100,000 people in the stadium at game time.

Just saying that is why we choose bath and 1/2, we keep the rear bath for us.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #10

So its good to hear that you can get around the island. I also agree with the big plus of the emergency exit door in the bathroom, glad this safety item its making it down to the gas coaches. I remember when I was looking for my Newmar I wanted a bath and a half, now that I have a unit with a mid-coach bath I find don't mind it at all. Oh yeah and I love my full wall slide.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #11
BnB

Ford Super Duty Owner
About time

Long time coming is the upgrade to a residential one piece shower stall. Newmar is finally catching up to Fleetwood and Tiffin here! Newmar should be ashamed putting the crappie entry level shower stall all these years in a $200000 coach.
BnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BnB View Post
Long time coming is the upgrade to a residential one piece shower stall. Newmar is finally catching up to Fleetwood and Tiffin here! Newmar should be ashamed putting the crappie entry level shower stall all these years in a $200000 coach.
This reminds me of what I was told by a Tiffin dealer "Tiffin's are almost made as well as Newmar's" Not my words or belief just seems to be fitting with the post here.
BTW: Don't know how long it took, but I did look at a 2013 Canyon Star and one piece shower and residential fridge were it it, however, a 2014 Fleetwood I looked at had propane fridge and tiny shower (might have been one piece). The 2015 Tiffin had propane fridge and don't remember the shower. The 2015 Winie we look at had residential fridge and one piece shower.
Just not sure where the quoted comment is coming from.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-19-2018, 04:11 AM   #13
BnB

Ford Super Duty Owner
I may have been little harsh in my comment and maybe I could have started out with we really enjoy our CS, but my comment stems from several things: 1. The shower has been an issue w/ separating from the wall and leaks 2. I've owned those other brands and they came standard with 'large' residential one piece showers. 3. I've looked at the 'comparable' Forest Rivers, Thor, etc and they too come w/ a standard residential one piece shower of varying sizes. Not to belabor the point but as the late Paul Harvey would've said ' that's the rest of the story.' Moving forward , enjoy your day!
BnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #14

Quote:

Congratulations, that is the floor plan we like as well. I think Newmar hit that one out of the park and the emergency door is a major feature for us since we travel with a dog. It is one of the must see coaches at Hershey for us.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canyon star