Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2019 Digitial Dash Brightness level

I have finally submitted the required NHTSA complaint regarding the digital dash in our 2019 Dutch Star.

The issue I am filing is in regards to the brightness while driving. Freightliner needs to offer the ability to dim the dash even further than it is now, and to change the background to a night friendly color scheme (aka: Dark Mode).

I do not know if this issue exists on Spartan digital dashes.

I encourage anyone else that has this problem to file the complaint on the NHTSA website

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

In addition, you shouldsend an email to Newmar and Freightliner documenting your case.

Once you have done so, please post back to this thread. It is my hope that we can work together as a community to bring an important change to this very dangerous display.

I have tried the 2 stop film cover, and this does help. A spare jacket or blanket helps too. Neither of these options are acceptable.

Freightliner Email: fcccservice@daimler.com

Once you have submitted your complaint to NHTSA, you will receive a issue number for tracking purposes. If we can get several of these in this week, it will trigger a faster investigation process.

For the purpose of the report, I used my last drive at night to document. It happens everytime, but the report is going to ask for a single incident.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have received a call from both Freightliner and Newmar.

Neither has heard of this problem before. Freightliner went as far as to say the only feedback they have had are compliments on how bright it is.

At this time neither company is going to take any action due to not hearing any other complaints.

If you have a problem with your dash being too bright at night, please do something about it. Don't just ignore the problem.

At the very least, you need to call both Newmar and Freightliner and log a complaint. I would also suggest you log a NHTSA complaint as well. This is the kind of thing that numbers matter. Until we get enough complaints in the system, no one is going to pay attention.

Once you have emailed Newmar & Freightliner, please post back to this thread so that we can keep track.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:05 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I have received a call from both Freightliner and Newmar.

*Neither has heard of this problem before.

*Freightliner went as far as to say the only feedback they have had are compliments on how bright it is.

Aren’t they contradicting themselves here ?
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Aren’t they contradicting themselves here ?
The way I wrote it, I see how you would say that.

The way to take it is "it is bright during the day, easy to read" and "easy to read at night".

Freightliner kind of laughed at the thought it could be too bright. He stated that the safety requirements dictate it has to be bright
Old 12-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
A good thing to measure is how low you can set car dash lighting. I think in mine and as far as I can remember (all vehicles owned) I can dim them to completely OFF.

I bet if you asked Newmar about the sanicon issue they would tell you the same thing! Give that a try for grins! Then you'll see their game.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is why I want to involve NHTSA reports along with the complaints to the vendors.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:45 PM   #7

Quote:
At this time neither company is going to take any action due to not hearing any other complaints.
This is absolute BS. We have been talking about the issue of brightness in the NA OptiView panel for a year now. I just gave up and use a piece of plastic film when I drive at night.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
This is absolute BS. We have been talking about the issue of brightness in the NA OptiView panel for a year now. I just gave up and use a piece of plastic film when I drive at night.
The difference may be that you are "high line" and I am in the Dutch star queue. Spencer is who I talked with, but he is Dutch star.

What I did was first create my NHTSA case, then took that case id and referenced it with Freightliner & newmar. That will eventually be tied back to the inquiry that NHTSA will do. They will not do anything without more than a single complaint, that much is certain. I don't know how many complaints it will take, but I do know that if in the next few days several issues are created with all 3, then we will have a better chance of getting this resolved.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
It's great in the day but by all accounts too bright at night. Completely kills night vision.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
It's great in the day but by all accounts too bright at night. Completely kills night vision.
This is such a shame. The issue has been reported to Newmar through the Customer Service representatives and repeatedly talked about on this forum for a year.

We can only conclude they just don't care. No other conclusion makes sense.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:11 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If we can get all of our cases linked together with newmar, that will remove their ability to tell us independently that there is no known issues or other complaints.

My call was today, and with Spencer @ Dutchstar Desk. PM me for my coach # if you want that to help with your contact with Newmar
Old 12-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #12

Quote:
I have finally submitted the required NHTSA complaint regarding the digital dash in our 2019 Dutch Star.

The issue I am filing is in regards to the brightness while driving. Freightliner needs to offer the ability to dim the dash even further than it is now, and to change the background to a night friendly color scheme (aka: Dark Mode).

I do not know if this issue exists on Spartan digital dashes.

I encourage anyone else that has this problem to file the complaint on the NHTSA website

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

In addition, you shouldsend an email to Newmar and Freightliner documenting your case.

Once you have done so, please post back to this thread. It is my hope that we can work together as a community to bring an important change to this very dangerous display.

I have tried the 2 stop film cover, and this does help. A spare jacket or blanket helps too. Neither of these options are acceptable.

Freightliner Email: fcccservice@daimler.com

Once you have submitted your complaint to NHTSA, you will receive a issue number for tracking purposes. If we can get several of these in this week, it will trigger a faster investigation process.

For the purpose of the report, I used my last drive at night to document. It happens everytime, but the report is going to ask for a single incident.
I have filed mine this afternoon with NHTSA. Thanks for the heads up RB!
Old 12-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj3964 View Post
I have filed mine this afternoon with NHTSA. Thanks for the heads up RB!
Since you are a 2019 Newmar Dutchstar, you should also send a complaint to DutchStarService@newmarcorp.com. This is the main email for Dutchstar and will be routed to Spencer. This will help him to build the case of a real problem.

Be sure to include your coach serial number (build number) in the subject line when emailing Newmar.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
It looks like you agree with my observation. It would be helpful if you get a current email sent to newmar. Reference the fact that Spencer is in receipt of other complaints. I will be following up with Spencer to ensure he is collecting this data to build the case.

Also, filing a NHTSA report is very simple using the links I provided. This is just another tool in our arsenal to attempt to force change.

Tags
dash