Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2019, 05:04 AM   #1

2019 DSDP 4369 one year report

So we picked up our 2019 DSDP 4369 from the dealer in August 2018. During the year we have traveled 19,000 miles in it. Our latest trip out west was 2 months and 6800 miles. We had absolutely no issues with the coach that prevented us from enjoying every day during our vacation. Of course there are always the minor nuisance issues. But very few. So needless to say we are very pleased with the coach so far. We experienced some of the same issues as others have mentioned such as wind noise at the entry door, a few emissions related CEL's, Xcite Nav/radio, and a few others. I would say that the biggest nuisance issues that we have are
1) The top of the full wall slide will accumulate and hold water during a rain and will leak a fair amount into the coach when retracting. We have to "dip" the coach and squeegee the top before retracting to minimize the water coming into the coach. 2) I cannot top off the fuel tank without the fuel spewing back all over the coach when it gets close to being full. I've tried everything to prevent it. So now when we fuel up I have an idea how much fuel it will take and we shut the pump off when the fuel gauge reads full. Only problem is that I cant really calculate my mileage very accurately that way. But we aren't concerned much about that.
Some of the things we really enjoy are the cockpit layout and instrument panel, full wall slide, no carpet, macerator toilets, sanicon system, heated floors, oasis system, comfort drive, large shower, and outside freezer.
Additionally our dealer and Newmar have been great to work with during the year and receiving invaluable information from this forum allowed us to understand the coach better and know how to troubleshoot should the need arise. So hoping I haven't jinxed myself and looking forward to year two.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #2

This is a great one year report! Glad you are enjoying your rig
Old 10-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #3

I had the same problem with the slide. There is a belly in the slide ceiling. They are able to take the wood off and jack the slide center up and reinstall the wood to hold the slide top flat. That solved the problem.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:27 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here is what I do with the fuel. The gauge on the dash is fairly accurate. Typically, if it says I need 42 gallons, it will take 41- 43 gallons, unless I'm running the genny or Oasis between fills. Even then, I still have a pretty good idea.

When I reach what I think is close, I'll put my ear down near the fuel fill. I can hear it change sound and start to gurgle, just before it wants to shut off and backflow. Obviously, I don't breathe the fumes and it works every time, even though I'm half deaf.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:57 PM   #5

I wish my one year report was as positive. We picked up our 2019 DS 4310 at the dealer in October 2018 and had only experienced a few minor issue including the same issues the OP described. Unfortunately on our big 2month( not over yet) 7000 mile trip cross country. Starting in this Sept with a complete FWS failure 1week into trip and 1000 miles away from home. A repair was made at factory (we were 4 hours away) thanks to Newmar, only lost a week, rerouted trip and continued westward. One week later 1000 miles from factory, the bedroom slide failed to extend more than 6 inches, able to retract to within1/2 inch but something broke and motor quit so unable to use since. Informed Newmar, continuing trip, will have dealer and Newmar rep look at this and other problems when trip completed. Add to the frustration: Door popping open while driving (previously address by dealer), xite radio GPS reboot problem again plus Sirius Sat failure to initialize, along with Awnings now rattling while driving despite the fact that have not been extended more that three times on this trip. Did I mention I left Nappanee the Monday they announced the sale not knowing, but reading about it on this forum 5 days later when checking on the bedroom slide.
We absolutely love this coach but can't believe as I approach the end of the warranty everything seems to be falling apart. I am counting on the dealer and Newmar to live up to their reputation for service and standing behind their products. Not sure why I am so lucky to have all these slide problems despite how diligent I have tried to be in following all the recommendations concerning deployment and retraction of the slides, jacks and "reveal". Enough about my problems ! How has it gone in this first year for the rest of ya'll?
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:43 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We're at 11 months with 11K miles. We custom ordered ours and have been very happy with the coach. It arrived with a rear A/C that didn't blow cold air and the arm rests on the front seats looked funky. The dealer repaired both right away.

Ours has the Freightliner chassis and sure enough had the same fan drive gear box leak as my 2014. I did that repair, but noticed a crack in one of the fan blades. Freightliner accepted my photos of the issue, ordered the fan blade and had it done in a half day. I also had a sensor on the coolant tank glitch and the code later cleared, but I had it replaced.

All in all, very few issues. Most of the work I've done have been mods to make camping easier. There have been things like the bay door cables and other small items, which I consider are more about the every day aspects of owning a coach. To me, it's easier to tighten a screw, add an end to a cable to prevent a future issue, than it is to complain about it.

Knock on wood, in 45 years of RVing, we've never broken down to the point that a trip has been stalled or ruined.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebobk View Post
I had the same problem with the slide. There is a belly in the slide ceiling. They are able to take the wood off and jack the slide center up and reinstall the wood to hold the slide top flat. That solved the problem.
i, too have this problem....

when you say "take the wood off", you mean the inside fascia trim ?
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #8

Yes.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdnash View Post
So we picked up our 2019 DSDP 4369 from the dealer in August 2018. During the year we have traveled 19,000 miles in it. Our latest trip out west was 2 months and 6800 miles. We had absolutely no issues with the coach that prevented us from enjoying every day during our vacation. Of course there are always the minor nuisance issues. But very few. So needless to say we are very pleased with the coach so far. We experienced some of the same issues as others have mentioned such as wind noise at the entry door, a few emissions related CEL's, Xcite Nav/radio, and a few others. I would say that the biggest nuisance issues that we have are
1) The top of the full wall slide will accumulate and hold water during a rain and will leak a fair amount into the coach when retracting. We have to "dip" the coach and squeegee the top before retracting to minimize the water coming into the coach. 2) I cannot top off the fuel tank without the fuel spewing back all over the coach when it gets close to being full. I've tried everything to prevent it. So now when we fuel up I have an idea how much fuel it will take and we shut the pump off when the fuel gauge reads full. Only problem is that I cant really calculate my mileage very accurately that way. But we aren't concerned much about that.
Some of the things we really enjoy are the cockpit layout and instrument panel, full wall slide, no carpet, macerator toilets, sanicon system, heated floors, oasis system, comfort drive, large shower, and outside freezer.
Additionally our dealer and Newmar have been great to work with during the year and receiving invaluable information from this forum allowed us to understand the coach better and know how to troubleshoot should the need arise. So hoping I haven't jinxed myself and looking forward to year two.
David, I feel your pain as far as toping off the tank. I have it worse since my tank capacity is only 100 gallons.

My solution is similar to yours. I pull into the truck stop and look at my gauge. If it is right at 1/2 then I know it will take 48 to 50 gallons. If it is just under 1/2 then I'm looking at the 54 to 56 gallon range and so on...

I'll run it on the first click (slow) so I'm not adding more foam inside the tank. I found that 90% of the time it will stop without initially spilling any fuel. Then if I barely squeeze the nozzle I can slowly pump the additional gallons to get to where I think I need to be.

When I get back behind the wheel my gauge is almost always showing right at the full mark. I log my miles and fuel usage so I just figure it will be accurate over a longer range if I'm not squeezing every gallon every time to top the tank off.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #10
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
On the fuel issue. I use the wrap the nozzle with a paper towel. If you do it right about 1/2 inch sets in the input with about 3 inches outside. Forms a “doughnut” around the nozzle. Not my original idea. Found it on the forum.

Odd how each coach is so different. My first coach had four pages of issues. Newmar fixer every one. And when we traded her she was, IMHO, about in as perfect shape as can be had.

Our current VTDP 4369 has had some frustrating, but minor issues to fix. 22 items so far. Our only complaint and on going issue is the equalizer jack system. Obviously Newmar wanted to differentiate us from the DS. Bad decision based on a questionable marketing process.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:43 PM   #11

Just yesterday I added fuel , for the first time, from the passenger side opening.
It seemed to me it took fuel with less restriction (less noise) and no blow back at all. Might have to start filling from that side all the time? Anybody else noticed this or was I just lucky that time?
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:58 PM   #12

It could be lucky but your passenger side may have less kink in the filler hose and thus vents better. I would keep trying it and if it works, consider YOURSELF lucky.[emoji2]
Old 10-11-2019, 04:48 AM   #13

I believe that the fueling issue is due to so little slope in the fuel hose to the tank. Its almost horizontal. You can tell by the way the nozzle inserts into the hole. If it weren't for the size of the truck nozzles it would probably fall out when fueling. I now just set on the first click, have an idea how much fuel it should take and have the wife watch the gauge light bars and stop before the backwash. Opening the opposite side fill cap helped a little with venting. This is our routine now and it works.
As far as the slide holding water and dumping into the coach behind the driver seat that's the biggest issue that I would like to figure out. First, I cant figure out how that much water gets on top of the slide since the topper is very low to the slide and water isn't leaking through the fabric. I think it actually leaks down along the metal topper cover along its length. As stated, if it has rained (or raining)I will lower the front jacks to allow as much water as possible to drain off. The metal trim at the end of the slide will prevent all the water from pouring off. Then I will get my 7' step ladder and long handled squeegee and get as much off as I can reach. Even after all that when the slide comes all the way in the seals will squeeze any remaining water into the coach when you slow down at the first stop sign. We have a few towels ready. Its been on our list since day one. Newmar says just learn to "dip" the front of the coach. Judgebobk's fix seems interesting. Just cant see how trim adjustment would support a bowed slide. (Doesn't appear bowed) But I am headed to the dealer for final warranty checkup next week and I will run this by them. I wonder if this issue is universal or just affects a few (like me)? If just a few, then whats the difference? That's what I need to figure out. Meanwhile we look forward to the next trip. Thanks to all that reply.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:20 AM   #14

David, I am guessing your water/slide issue is a little more of a problem than normal on the 4369 floor plan. We have had some heavy blowing rains where a fair amount of water has been trapped on top of the FWS, however if we have brought it in part way and stopped 90% of it will run off. I guess the sites I have been on have all been just right because we have never put the jacks back down to try to tip the front end lower to dispel the water. There has probably been two or three times where we didn't let it all run off and experienced a gallon or less come off inside the coach.

Anyhow, great annual report and it certainly sounds like you are getting some great use out of your coach!
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote