Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2020, 09:12 AM   #1

2019 DSDP Beetles in the woodwork.

I remember reading something about beetles in the woodwork causing piles of dust in the coach. I just discovered this in our coach, contacted my dealer who does not know about this. Can anyone point me to the thread(s) that discuss this?

Thanks.
Burnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2020, 09:24 AM   #2

This one caught my attention.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/bee...al-444561.html
Old 06-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post

Thanks!

Anyone else have one that specifically mentions Newmar?
Old 06-01-2020, 02:29 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Being a 2019 DSDP owner also, I am a bit concerned about this. Can you provide some pictures so I can check my coach also? Also, where are you seeing the powder piles?

Thanks!!
DSDP-PZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:20 AM   #5

I do not have pictures as I had cleaned it up without thinking about it.... I opened the kitchen slide and there were piles of white dust along the front of the mid bath wall. Very fine white almost powder.....I dont think it would have alarmed me except I remember reading about it somewhere in a newmar forum (most likely here). I contacted my dealer (Midway) who says they have never heard about this. I am looking for links to the threads where this has been discussed.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:32 PM   #6

Good luck--- we have them in our tiki and I've tried boracare multiple times as well as other chemicals. The only way to get rid of them is with tenting and they use a 5-7x concentration of gas so it's very expensive.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #7

Our 2019 canyon star had a big infestation of powder post beetles and Newmar is aware of the problem.
Archerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #8

Newmar is aware of their problem with powder post beetles, we are dealing with them now
Old 06-03-2020, 03:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt View Post
I remember reading something about beetles in the woodwork causing piles of dust in the coach. I just discovered this in our coach, contacted my dealer who does not know about this. Can anyone point me to the thread(s) that discuss this?

Thanks.
Newmar is well aware of their problem with the powder post beetles, we are currently in the middle of seeing what they are going to do. We had to get our RV tented. Your dealership will not do anything, it is Newmar s responsibility because the beetles were in the wood that they purchased to build your coach. Newmar is not the only brand. To all new buyers you better get a warranty against these powderpost beetles because it is quit costly.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:19 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The solution is very simple: keep the air conditioner running, and humidity as low as possible. Clean up the mess. The bugs will die on their own, and will not spread. Fumigation is not required, and is just a way to empty your pockets quicker.

Keep the air on a lower setting to prevent humidity.

The problem occurs when the dealers keep them closed up and allow humidity to run high. The keeps the wood moist and keeps feeding the bugs.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
The solution is very simple: keep the air conditioner running, and humidity as low as possible. Clean up the mess. The bugs will die on their own, and will not spread. Fumigation is not required, and is just a way to empty your pockets quicker.

Keep the air on a lower setting to prevent humidity.

The problem occurs when the dealers keep them closed up and allow humidity to run high. The keeps the wood moist and keeps feeding the bugs.

How long does this take? I am not a full timer, nor do I store it somewhere I can leave the air on all the time. I can make arrangements but it may stress another situation.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am not sure on how quick this can be done. Most say 30 days is long enough to kill them, and then you are good for life.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote