Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post

....the biggest thing about heated floors in the house is that it's an even, consistent heat that stays a nice steady temp, rather than rising and falling, rising and falling. I almost jumped to a Dutch Star just over this.

By the way, we always where slippers/shoes, so it isn't about bare feet being warm...
Heated floors are also silent! No furnace fans running, no heat pump noise.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2018, 12:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertboyz View Post
Heated floors are also silent! No furnace fans running, no heat pump noise.
Yep, and in a coach if you spend a lot of time at a campground, paid for by the campground, not you buying diesel or propane (I believe the DS floors are electric rather than hydronic).

As mentioned I think in this thread and others, in colder temps, the Oasis can burn a lot of diesel, where the heated floors are going to run on electricity included in your nightly RV site fee in most cases.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Yes it all electric
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:16 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Yep, and in a coach if you spend a lot of time at a campground, paid for by the campground, not you buying diesel or propane (I believe the DS floors are electric rather than hydronic).

As mentioned I think in this thread and others, in colder temps, the Oasis can burn a lot of diesel, where the heated floors are going to run on electricity included in your nightly RV site fee in most cases.

I’m all for heated floors but you’d have to run Oasis 2514 years to recover the expense of heated floors.

In my 1.3 years of RVing all over I have yet to see a CG charge for electricity. Bring it on as I’d love to see my solar pay some of its cost. Just not seeing it yet.

I’m selling socks at $6k/pair on sale now. Has yuppy emblem on the sides [emoji16]
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:28 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I’m all for heated floors but you’d have to run Oasis 2514 years to recover the expense of heated floors.

In my 1.3 years of RVing all over I have yet to see a CG charge for electricity. Bring it on as I’d love to see my solar pay some of its cost. Just not seeing it yet.

I’m selling socks at $6k/pair on sale now. Has yuppy emblem on the sides [emoji16]
I was under the assumption that the Oasis could run purely on electric, not sure how well for heating. Is that correct?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:34 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
2019 Dutch Star Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I was under the assumption that the Oasis could run purely on electric, not sure how well for heating. Is that correct?

Yes. 5000 BTU’s (per side) on electric 50k BTU on diesel burner.

Moral is there is no justification for heated floors. Nothing covers the cost. It’s purely a luxury and pleasure item. Probably has merit for resale too. IMHO
Old 08-02-2018, 01:07 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Yes. 5000 BTU’s (per side) on electric 50k BTU on diesel burner.

Moral is there is no justification for heated floors. Nothing covers the cost. It’s purely a luxury and pleasure item. Probably has merit for resale too. IMHO
The luxury IS the justification.
If I wanted to save money, I'd have a popup.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Kinda like a swimming pool. Not needed but enjoyable and an item filtered for resale. I would get it. And full Girard. LED lighting too.

Where are we on price DSDon? Keep going??
Old 08-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
You can't heat the coach comfortably in cold weather only on electric. I remember reading last winter a person up north was running an experiment to see if electric would keep it warm enough to prevent pex/plumbing from freezing, but certainly not enough to make the coach comfortable.

As to Neal's comment, how many posts on here have people made about warning to fill up their diesel before heading to the campground due to burning more diesel than you would think heating with the Oasis.

So, while it likely isn't enough to give a pay back in a few short years, if you are spending any significant amount of time in cold climates each year, it will certainly pay back part of the purchase price. Also, as many people finance and trade in before it's paid off, if doing a proper ROI, it isn't the total cost of the heated floors, but the annual cost you are paying that you financed, but attempting to do any pure ROI on an asset that loses money as soon as you drive it off the lot is a wasted exercise.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Kinda like a swimming pool. Not needed but enjoyable and an item filtered for resale. I would get it. And full Girard. LED lighting too.

Where are we on price DSDon? Keep going??
The difference is those options have zero offset/payback. The heated floors will save you $5-8 a day on cold days, which actually offset the purchase price other, pure luxury items have zero cost savings offset.

There is a really great thread here you should check out: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/newm...re-403259.html
Old 08-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not sure why you're trying to sell this to me or anyone else, we ALL AGREE and are trying to encourage DSDon to get heated floors. It seems you've misunderstood me and my points/opinions.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #40

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I'm not sure why you're trying to sell this to me or anyone else, we ALL AGREE and are trying to encourage DSDon to get heated floors. It seems you've misunderstood me and my points/opinions.
It certainly is fun spending DSD’s money
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:30 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I think at least 200 of us will be at the dealer with him looking over his shoulder when it’s time to sign. It’s on my calendar already.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #42
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Okay.....I've read through all the posts. Many good suggestions and some we've considered and some we haven't. We drove over to "StuartW's" coach the other day and he brought up some good points also brought up here.

First, with the issues with the new SaniCon turbo hoses going bad, I thought about not getting the SaniCon and buying the older model with the smaller hose, the one I've had for 15 years. When I checked them out last night, the old model is now $1300.00....what...they used to sell for about $300. So the SaniCon will stay as an option.

Stuart also brought up the issue with the glass bedroom doors, we'll be changing those to solid wood. He pointed out the cabinets above the dinette being shallow and recommended the special. That will be added.

We'll be changing the paint to the Mountain Air colors (Windsor colors). By the way, if I had bought a Mountain Air, the new forum name would have been MADP DON.

Central Vac......My wife likes the central vac. She sweeps the entire coach in a few minutes into the central vac and then follows up with a quick Swiffer wipe. We found a good spot for the central vac hose for those who hate dealing with it. We just shove it under the last pantry slide out shelf (pantry floor). We just push it in and it coils up without issue.

Even my wife is beating me up on the SS package, so its probably a go.

I'm kind of nutty about exposed wires, so any 12 volt power I need at the dash for the TST unit, laptop for VMSpc and my dash cam, I like to mount under the dash and hide the connections.

I will eliminate the wires from the dash to the hitch, forgot about the trailer wires.

The heated floors are still up in the air. We've had the heated seats for 4.5 years and never use them.

The GE Advantium has already been added to my list. I replaced the Whirlpool in my current coach in the third month.

Right now, my biggest concern is the dinette. Ours came with the Euro booth, something Tom Lindstrom orders on all his coaches. He laughs at us because we just don't like that style. We swapped ours out to the Buffet and one piece sliding table. The problem, is that the one piece just doesn't come out far enough for four adults to sit at comfortably. When we're serving four, I have to sit off one edge to make enough room. I actually made a nice formica overlay top this year that enlarges the table when we have guests or want to play a game. I hide it under our mattress.

I know many may be satisfied with the table size, but I'm a big guy and we routinely travel with another couple who we like to take turn having meals and playing rummy tile or Mexican train at night.

It was pointed out that the Buffet/Roll top Desk model has a bigger table, but the mechanism for the table is exposed and rattles. What I'm really looking at now is the free standing table. It apparently comes with a leaf, but only in the 43' model. The 2019 Brochure shows the free standing table. I would really like to see a personal photo of one and especially the dimensions, along with the leaf availability. I'm going to try and contact Newmar for the dimensions.

We've owned our current coach for 4.5 years and pretty much know what we like and don't like, especially the most uncomfortable couch in the world, the "L" shape one we have now.

I've had the Winegard satellite for over ten years on two different coaches and have installed four of them. I've never had an issue and can count on one hand the amount of times in ten years that I couldn't get satellite.....so I'm going to stay with the Winegard.

Thanks for all the suggestions....SS is probably in, the heated floors will probably not make the cut.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, purchase