Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2022, 01:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
How much was the parts? Labor? Seems High.
In Southern California I had no choice but to go to the closest HWH certified repair facility. There was no leakage from it. The slide was just locked in. the replacement part then got stuck in the supply chain somewhere for two months. The bill is in storage with the coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2022, 02:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDP Jeff View Post
In Southern California I had no choice but to go to the closest HWH certified repair facility. There was no leakage from it. The slide was just locked in. the replacement part then got stuck in the supply chain somewhere for two months. The bill is in storage with the coach.
I guess I was just lucky. It did not seem like that when I paid $1750 for the repair!

Sorry for your bad luck!
Old 12-01-2022, 02:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMXHAULER View Post
I have no idea either. What I was getting at is that I think HWH uses a lot of junk in their products. I have had many issues and know a lot of owners who have had many issues with their products. These issue have caused thousands of dollars in damage and caused owners to spend countless days getting their rigs diagnosed and repaired. My biggest fear when I get ready to leave a campsite is will the FWS come back in properly. I know that electric slides have issues as well, but they are much easier to operate manually and as cool as the whole level floor thing is, it just might be adding more complexity than it's worth. Even the super high end bus conversions have not attempted this as far as I am aware.
We have the same fear. The first issue was a broken cylinder weld in the back end of the slide under warranty and now the front.
Old 12-02-2022, 04:38 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Just had the exact some symptoms and had it fixed at Midway in Grand Rapids. They swapped hydraulic lines and no better so that eliminated the sync cylinder. It was the front cylinder and it was jammed. Since the slide was in they had to cut out the cylinder. Replaced with new then synced and all is well.

$700 front cylinder and 7 hrs of labour.
Problem resolved just like yours……
Front cylinder had to be cut out and replaced.
$750 parts
8 hours labor
Showalter RV worked me in to get me going. Trip to Florida back on track.

HWH hard to work with.
I am grateful to know Steve Showalter and his crew.
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrose44 View Post
$750 parts
8 hours labor

HWH hard to work with.
Steve and his crew are good friends to know.
drdonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 11:36 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
X2 on the Showalter endorsement! If there’s a finer man in this business, I’ve not met him.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:30 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Although the front cylinder is tuff, you haven’t lived until you try and change the rear cylinder. Had to remove the slide trim and backing to gain access to the cylinder. 7 hours seems high for the front cylinder. 7 for the rear would be inline.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 02:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDP Jeff View Post
I had the same failure a year ago on my HWH slideout and it was also a jammed front cylinder. $4,500 and 2 1/2 months later we got the coach back. No further issues.
Dam 2 1/2 Months no fun at all
Ajhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:37 PM   #23

Full wall slide

We have a 2019 4369 and have suffered the exact same issue. There is a needle and seat in the top cap of the hydraulic ram which acts as a hydraulic lock, effectively being the slide lock. The needle requires differential pressure to make it release. It’s ingenious until it fails. My coach must have had an air bubble work it’s way to the needle. The techs at HWH are great but they told me they don’t even know how to release one. The old ram is going to be cut on the piston rod to get it out.

We replaced the ram on ours, took about .5 hours to cut, 20 mins to swap old with new and couple hours to fill and bleed properly.

Messy job but not too difficult, as others have said, be glad it isn’t the rear ram.

If you can get your hands on a new ram, that’s the hard part.

Good luck
microlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrose44 View Post
$750 parts
8 hours labor

HWH hard to work with.
Glad Steve and the crew were able to get you fixed and back on for Florida!
BPeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:58 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

How do you tell the difference from leaking or jammed? Mon mine the back moved and the front did not move any. I would think if leaking the front would have moved somewhat but what do I know.
You can reverse the hoses to the cylinders
If the front still doesn’t move the cylinder is bad
If it moves then most likely it is something else.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:08 AM   #26

Full wall slide

Took delivery of my dream coach, 2022 Dutch Star 4081 in October 2022. Used it for two weekend tailgate trips. Everything great. Two weeks ago packed for a trip to Florida, full wall slide would not go out. Immediately took it back to Independence RV upon arrival in Florida and was told rear cylinder was bad. Currently using the coach without full wall slide out, very cramped. Dropping off in 3 days for full repair, and head home to Virginia in the car. Hopefully when I return it will be fixed. Very disheartening to spend a large amount of money only to have significant issues within the first 2000 miles. I purchased my second Newmar since the first had very few issues. Hopefully all will be well.
Kenwerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 10:14 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwerner View Post
Took delivery of my dream coach, 2022 Dutch Star 4081 in October 2022. Used it for two weekend tailgate trips. Everything great. Two weeks ago packed for a trip to Florida, full wall slide would not go out. Immediately took it back to Independence RV upon arrival in Florida and was told rear cylinder was bad. Currently using the coach without full wall slide out, very cramped. Dropping off in 3 days for full repair, and head home to Virginia in the car. Hopefully when I return it will be fixed. Very disheartening to spend a large amount of money only to have significant issues within the first 2000 miles. I purchased my second Newmar since the first had very few issues. Hopefully all will be well.
Try lifting the bed during the day.
See if that gives you more room to get around in the bedroom to the bath.
Old 12-11-2022, 02:00 PM   #28

I wonder what going on With HWH full wall slide ? What part is failing ? and what is Failure rate . I know HWH has had a hard time last couple years with parts ect
Ajhyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutchstar, slide