Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2022, 10:48 PM   #1

2019 King Aire comm error

Hello, and thanks for letting me join. Just purchased 2019 King Aire and now getting a COMM ERROR alarm after getting LOW VOLTAGE - CHASSIS and LOW VOLTAGE- HOUSE battery alarms. It pretty much disables my Silverleaf touchscreen. Cannot do anything with it, no control over any silverleaf functions. When I do have a green all ok signal and plugged into shore power, it stays ok but when i shut everything down, disconnect from shore and start the generator and Im headed down the road after a while, I get the comm and low voltage errors even as my batts are all fully charged. Here is what I have tried to do so far to remedy

1. Toggling passenger BAT switch for any length of time doesnt reset
2. Unplugging TM102 main and reconnecting after any length of time doesn't reset but I do have a solid green power indicator light and red heartbeat led.
3. I have tried systematically disconnected tm102, the low voltage disconnect relay device, house batts, toggled chassis batts breakers to no avail.
4 i even have my AGS set to recharge batts when volts drop but still get the alarms and silverleaf shut down on low voltage alarms even as batts are fully charged.
5. I also have the updated blue sea charge bridge

Eventually for some reason it will reset and as long as i am plugged into shore power when it does, it stays ALL OK. Its after i pack up and going down the road whether the gen is on or not that it happens.

Has anyone experienced this? Can you please point me in a different direction?
tlowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2022, 12:59 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When you get he messages about the house battery voltage and chassis battery voltage being low, what is the battery voltage that the Silverleaf panel displays? Have you verified these readings with a multimeter?

Iím trying to determine if the battery voltage is really low, thus causing the issues you indicate, or if there is an actual malfunction of the Silverleaf system.

When you state that the batteries are fully charged, is that based on the coach being plugged in for some period of time, or based on the measured voltage after disconnecting from shore power and generator for a period of time?
Old 11-26-2022, 11:02 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.
I do not have a Silverleaf panel. But my batteries would show while plugged into 50 amp somewhere around 12.4 v for house and sometimes down to <10 v for the house. I had multiple conversations with inverter company who helped input new parameters into the inverter with no improvement.
Finally, I took the coach to a nearby auto store and had them do a load test on the Chassis batteries. They failed. Which to me explains why they would not hold a charge. I had them replaced with 2 AGM batteries.
Everything became fine and battery charges have stayed about 13.1 v for the past 2 months.

It could well be that your chassis batteries are shot also. I would suggest a LOAD test on them to help diagnose your issues.

I hope this helps.
2020 Tahoe LT
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:21 AM   #4
Official iRV2 Sponsor

You need to have your batteries load tested. You also need to have the charge bridge solenoid tested as well. When you are driving, are the voltages the same for the house and chassis. Do you have any pictures when itís failed.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:57 AM   #5

Found the issue. There is a low voltage detection module behind the inverters mounted to the floor that uses male /female spade connectors. You can really only get to it from bay 3 but it’s in bay 4. I reseated the connectors and resolved that issue along with keyless entry/doorbell, side cam, and interior cam issues I was having. Might ultimately be the module itself will just have to see. There are a-lot of things downstream from this module. Ill post a pic of it later
Old 11-27-2022, 08:02 AM   #6

My chassis batteries and house batteries never drop below 12.4 and usually stay around 13.7
Old 11-27-2022, 08:02 AM   #7

Battery Maintainer

I have nothing to add because youíve gotten good advice.

Iíll say that I have several battery chargers here on our farm. Short while ago, I bought a small 1 amp battery maintainer to use for a tractor battery we donít use during the winter. It has a digital readout that tells you the percent charged and can be used for all types of batteries.

The good thing about it is if a battery is bad, the readout will say ďbad batteryĒ. I have used it several times to help diagnose battery health.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:06 AM   #8

Whenever this issue occurs, my chassis and house batts are hovering around 13.7 without any AC power on. Just going down road with only the diesel alternator charging. No significant loads.

Tags
air