Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2022, 04:40 AM   #1

2019 MADP HWH problem

Good morning Newmar Family. Opened slides (all normal/unremarkable) in driveway on Saturday to prep for trip. Wanted to replace a simple gasket under windshield wiper over generator. Went to driver side front compartment to extend generator slide … pressed extend … had momentary airbag dump (typical as generator extends) and then nothing. All HWH slide mechanisms are non-reactive. What I do know- 1) HWH leveling panel is lit but jacks do not go up or down, 2) HWH driver side slide (flat floor, dinette/recliners) is non-reactive, 3) I cannot open generator compartment to access HWH pump/manifold area, 4) I checked reachable in-line fuses to HWH pump … 5 & 40A were intact with no signs of heat or melting.

I really thought it would be a “fuse-like” situation as it seemed like an effect of pushing the gen slide extend and then all went dead.

Simply not sure how to get to HWH pump manifold so I can then attempt “manual” closing of the slide.

Spartan chassis.

Kind words of wisdom much appreciated.

Best,
Chip
CremeBrulee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2022, 05:29 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If this is a Spartan chassis, check the circuit breaker at the chassis battery.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:39 AM   #3

Really?? Could it be that simple … fingers crossed!
Old 06-27-2022, 05:48 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You could have a ground issue. For starters, see if you can get a jumper cable onto a point on your pump motor housing. Then the other end to a point to ground on your chassis.
Car1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:29 AM   #5
Official iRV2 Sponsor

There is a master reset switch in overhead above the drivers seat. Press that for 5 seconds and see if that works. Do you have the hydraulic step? If so, there is a small round black button when you walk in the coach. Next to the battery disconnect switch. This tells the pump to run. If you press that does the pump run? If the breakers you checked are good, the rubber curb switch on the bottom of the step has probably failed. You can cut the wires and all should work.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:50 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Take the rubber handle of a hammer and lightly tap on the two solenoids up front on the right side, they be starting to stick, i just replaced mine.
patgreenair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:31 PM   #7

Winner winner !

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
If this is a Spartan chassis, check the circuit breaker at the chassis battery.
Thank you. Bottom breaker was tripped
Old 06-29-2022, 08:50 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CremeBrulee View Post
Thank you. Bottom breaker was tripped
I have been paying attention to when this happens. It appears that the hwh pump needs a solid 12.5V in order to run at it's 100-125amp draw. When the voltage drops below 12.5V the amps go up.

Even with engine running and bridge mode in place, the chassis can drop below 12.5V at the end of that 45ft battery cable.

The fix so far has been to run engine at high idle while moving the slide. That seems to keep it from tripping.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:44 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I have been paying attention to when this happens. It appears that the hwh pump needs a solid 12.5V in order to run at it's 100-125amp draw. When the voltage drops below 12.5V the amps go up.

Even with engine running and bridge mode in place, the chassis can drop below 12.5V at the end of that 45ft battery cable.

The fix so far has been to run engine at high idle while moving the slide. That seems to keep it from tripping.
I have also been having the bottom 150-amp breaker trip when putting out the FWS. Will try the high idle idea to see if that helps.

FLSteve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	150 amp breaker that always trips.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	369778  
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:47 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
There is a master reset switch in overhead above the drivers seat. Press that for 5 seconds and see if that works
Bobby Dowdle ... can you post a picture of this master reset switch? I am not having any luck finding it.

FLSteve
Old 06-30-2022, 08:41 PM   #11

I had a very similar issue today, but mine turned out to be a bad motor. Power cable stud on the motor a bit loose and burned. Called Newmar and they are sending a new one out for Saturday delivery so we can still get our trip in. HWH told them they have seen this before and to replace motor. This is on a 6 month old King Aire.

I run the engine while running the HWH slides as well as the all electric Newmar one in the bedroom. I was told by my delivering dealer that it was better to do that since the HWH motor draws huge amps as noted above.
Mark3101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:17 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark3101 View Post
I had a very similar issue today, but mine turned out to be a bad motor. Power cable stud on the motor a bit loose and burned. Called Newmar and they are sending a new one out for Saturday delivery so we can still get our trip in. HWH told them they have seen this before and to replace motor. This is on a 6 month old King Aire.

I run the engine while running the HWH slides as well as the all electric Newmar one in the bedroom. I was told by my delivering dealer that it was better to do that since the HWH motor draws huge amps as noted above.
Mark3101 ... would this be the pump motor on the HWA equipment at the front of the coach by the generator?

FLSteve
Old 07-01-2022, 06:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
Mark3101 ... would this be the pump motor on the HWH equipment at the front of the coach by the generator?

FLSteve
Yes it is. Where red wire supplying 12v attaches to the motor. Burn marks, and stud loose. Intermittent operation of the motor was our first clue, but we started at the breakers in the back and worked forward. Heard the relay clicking when attempting to operate slide, so we knew it wasn't a control issue. Found the problem shortly after that.

Newmar was supposed to ship me a new motor for delivery tomorrow (Sat). I am hoping there is no issue getting it as we are supposed to be leaving on a trip very soon.
Mark3101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 02:52 PM   #14

When I lost my hydraulics it was a loose cable to one of the solenoids.

Tags
hwh, problem