Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2019, 12:08 PM   #1

2019 New Aire - Living Room Thermostat Reporting Wrong Temperature

Good afternoon,

The living room thermostat seems to be “frozen” at 70 degrees though the inside temperature is far north of that. Reported 79 degrees at the black fitting with a laser thermometer, which I assume is the thermostat on the forward pillar of the living room slide behind drivers seat. I cannot figure out how to reset or restart the Silverleaf to reinitialize the thermostat. Any help would be appreciated. I have tried to pull the HVAC fuse, Trip the front A/C breaker, disconnected shore power, turned off the inverter, reset TM102, reset HMS, flipped the battery disconnect toggle inside the coach, all with no joy.

Many thanks!
BaldDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 12:26 PM   #2

I would go ahead and call Newmar customer service for help if the coach is uncomfortable. You've tried everything I can think of.

Good luck.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHoop View Post
I would go ahead and call Newmar customer service for help if the coach is uncomfortable. You've tried everything I can think of.

Good luck.
Thank you. I went ahead and called them. Had me pull fuse 1 and 2 from the panel in the basement under the drivers slide. Still no joy. They are claiming a bad temperature sensor or temperature module.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:59 AM   #4
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
I had the same issue with my 2019. Turned out the installer did not properly install the thermistor line in the AC. Maybe you got the same installer at Newmar?
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH View Post
I had the same issue with my 2019. Turned out the installer did not properly install the thermistor line in the AC. Maybe you got the same installer at Newmar?
Amazing. Can only wonder how long it took them to discover that bit of oversight given I was told it was a bad sensor or module.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #6

Common problem. If you are handy pull the basement ceiling tile directly above the plexiglass covered fuse and wire area. You will see where the wire is spliced. The wire needs to be soldered or a better splice. I recommend solder. These wires transmit resistance readings so a bad splice is a problem.
Newaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:27 PM   #7

Here is a pic of the bad splice under the electric tape
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B542F640-7D4C-4B6F-B171-8EB1109768BD.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	265887  
Old 11-07-2019, 04:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newaire1 View Post
Common problem. If you are handy pull the basement ceiling tile directly above the plexiglass covered fuse and wire area. You will see where the wire is spliced. The wire needs to be soldered or a better splice. I recommend solder. These wires transmit resistance readings so a bad splice is a problem.
Thank you! Unfortunately I have a bunch of issues with the new coach so it is going back to NIRVC so Newmar can address. This is great information.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #9

Thanks to NewAire1

Thank you NewAire1. Had the same issue start on the road. Had to turn the AC to 69 to get it to work. Then I froze all night. With the excellent photos, the fix was easy. Why Newmar uses crimp on connectors made for 16 or 18 gauge wire on 28 gauge wire is beyond me.
The hard part was getting the "roof" back on.

By the way, I winter in Florida at Silver Lakes, Naples and I own a 2019 NewAire 3343.
ralphbisonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:06 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our LR reads several degrees high but mostly when the sun is shining on the front part of the coach (seems we Always get a sun-facing spot in rv parks). Otherwise it seems OK and the AC will cycle but NOT when the sun is on the front or DS side of the coach. Poor design it would seem...too much heat transfers from the slideout window treatment area and heats up the sensor.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphbisonic View Post
Thank you NewAire1. Had the same issue start on the road. Had to turn the AC to 69 to get it to work. Then I froze all night. With the excellent photos, the fix was easy. Why Newmar uses crimp on connectors made for 16 or 18 gauge wire on 28 gauge wire is beyond me.
The hard part was getting the "roof" back on.

By the way, I winter in Florida at Silver Lakes, Naples and I own a 2019 NewAire 3343.
Glad I could help! We own a lot next door in Pelican Lake and spend the winter in Naples. We have to have a drink sometime!
Old 09-26-2020, 12:40 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Glad I could help! We own a lot next door in Pelican Lake and spend the winter in Naples. We have to have a drink sometime!
Thanks for the info I think I need to do some digging to find the splice. Listening to Newmar, 2 dealers and two thermistor replacements You may be on to something. I assume the bay your referring to is the front driver side. How long should the process take. Thanks
Old 09-26-2020, 03:28 PM   #13

Super easy. Once you take the screws that hold the basement ceiling panel out and gain access. 1 hour total. It requires a quality splice so solder or crimp carefully.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:33 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Super easy. Once you take the screws that hold the basement ceiling panel out and gain access. 1 hour total. It requires a quality splice so solder or crimp carefully.
Thank you

Tags
air, temperature, thermostat

« Jam Nuts | Help »