Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #1

2019 New Aire Oasis Chinook

My 2019 New Aire was delivered with an Oasis Chinook Hydronic heating system from ITR. At delivery the system worked fine. If you turned the electric heating elements, you got heat. If you turned on the diesel burner you got heat. And the same was true for hot water... http://itrheat.com/products/rv-trail...oasis-chinook/

On day 7, it was cold outside and the heater was going. I decided to take a shower and then realized something was amiss. Although there was plenty of heat at the heat exchangers, there was no hot water. Turn off the heater, and I got plenty of hot water again. Puzzling since domestic hot water is supposed to have priority, it didn't make any sense.

I have stayed fairly near my dealer (NIRVC in Texas) since taking delivery so I called them up and they asked me to bring it in the next morning. Evidently the Oasis Chinook heating system is new for 2019 as this unit integrates the pumps within the chassis of the Chinook. The techs working on it commented that they had only seen one other Chinook heater up to this point in time and they had to familiarize themselves with the pump locations to diagnose the problem.

One tech took the cover off the control module (the silver box to the right of the system with the status lights) and he commented that the control looked exactly the same as the previous Oasis system. They removed the box from the wall and on the back was the part number, the stamp of the inspector and the "Chinook" label.

After a call to Newmar they were pretty puzzled. But one of the tech's had a good idea. They had another 2019 New Aire in stock doing its PDI. So he went to that unit and looked at the control module. Turns out that unit's control module was completely different than the one in my coach. Evidently ITR mislabeled the control module in my coach. It is otherwise completely plug compatible.

NIRVC quickly swapped control modules for me and off I went.

So check your Oasis systems! I would be surprised if my coach is the only one to have been fitted with an incorrect Oasis control module.

I couldn't be happier with the support from NIRVC! It was obviously not a typical kind of problem but they figured it out and got me out on the road again. I could not have diagnosed or fixed this myself without having a second coach as a reference point so I'm fortunate in how it all worked out.

Otherwise I can't be happier with the coach. I'm still familiarizing myself with the systems. I do have one drawer that wants to slide open when driving, and I have a rogue ethernet cable behind the televator that wanted to wrap itself around the base of the TV on its way up, but other than that, its been really smooth sailing! As complicated as this thing is I've been very surprised at how few problems I've actually experienced... (knock on wood).
SteveUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2018, 10:11 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Interesting experience and thank you for sharing. Is it safe to say your pdi at nirvc was good? Originally i was certain I would only do factory pickup, but i am starting to read enough folks ok with nirv that i am reconsidering it.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:04 AM   #3

Yes the PDI at NIRVC was good. The tech who did the walk through for us explained the systems and answered my questions as we went along. The only thing he wasn't personally familiar with was the MyRozie interface, so another person came in to explain that.

At the NIRVC Texas location, they have an area right next to the building where you setup. It has power only, you have to drive around the building to the water and dump stations they have there. The coach had been filled with water and so we were ready. Any problem that I discovered such as the fact that the fan in the bathroom only worked if the light was turned on, was repaired within a few hours by the same tech who did the walk through with us.

I'm personally glad I saved the $5K. At $3.50 per gallon and 7.5mpg, that's the same as the fuel needed to drive 10,700 miles.

Having said that, staying close by for a while came in handy when I discovered the misinstalled Oasis problem.

I'm sure for the $5K you get a much more detailed inspection by Newmar than my tech did. And they may have been able to find the issues I found, but is that a guarantee? In the end its fixed and I'm happy.
SteveUpp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, oasis