Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2019 Ventana Oasis question

Quick question about the Oasis for the ‘19 model year Ventana....and this question is year and Ventana specific.

Does Newmar hook up the third heating option for the Oasis (engine heat) which would be the third switch down on the Oasis panel...under Burner, and AC heat. I swore I saw a 19 model year Ventana with that third switch being blank.. (I know it is an option as far as Oasis is concerned) If anyone is near their ‘19 VTDP, I’d love some feeback and maybe a picture as well.

Thanks all!
Chucker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #2

I have a 2018 Ventana 4369.

Ours is marked "Engine Pre Heat" and is NOT a functioning switch.

For 2018, there is an outlet in the far back drivers side bay. If the cord there is plugged in, the engine block will be heated, for starting in cold weather.

I can't recall if you have to have the Oasis in burner mode or not...
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Chucker1".....That third switch (engine preheat) is not available in the Ventana or Dutch Star. My 2014 was blank, along with my 2019.

If you want to add the preheat, it's not that hard. There should be a post in Quick Tips on exactly how to do it, as someone did the install and posted it in the past. You basically solder in the third switch and add an additional pump.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:12 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I added this to my 2019 myself. I chose to replace the panel with the new touch panel. All the wiring is ready for this, so as DSDon said, you just need to add the switch and pump.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Oregon View Post
I have a 2018 Ventana 4369.

Ours is marked "Engine Pre Heat" and is NOT a functioning switch.

For 2018, there is an outlet in the far back drivers side bay. If the cord there is plugged in, the engine block will be heated, for starting in cold weather.

I can't recall if you have to have the Oasis in burner mode or not...
X2 on our 2017. Plug it in and you have a regular engine block heater. I don't think it has anything to do with the Oasis though.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:37 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
X2 on our 2017. Plug it in and you have a regular engine block heater. I don't think it has anything to do with the Oasis though.
You are talking about two different things guys... Electric engine preheat is a simple plug and electric heating pad...that’s NOT what I’m talking about here. I am talking about what redbaron and Don are referring to. The Oasis function to either preheat the engine or take heat FROM the engine.

Baron or Don...I’ll search for that writeup..but if you find it, can you post a link?
Chucker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
So does the cummins engine not pre-heat the oasis coolant when running? Thanks
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker1 View Post
You are talking about two different things guys... Electric engine preheat is a simple plug and electric heating pad...that’s NOT what I’m talking about here. I am talking about what redbaron and Don are referring to. The Oasis function to either preheat the engine or take heat FROM the engine.

Baron or Don...I’ll search for that writeup..but if you find it, can you post a link?
You will get heat FROM the engine w/o the optional Oasis preheat. The engine recirc pump provided the flow when engine is running.
To preheat engine from the Oasis you will need the switch & pump mentioned... or just use the electric block heater that should already be in place.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:27 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is the post I made regarding my install. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4471471

After talking with Cummins and Freightliner, I now operate this any time the temp is below 45 outside. I turn it on the night before we leave and the engine is nice and warm. Depending on your floorplan, you might get a heated bathroom floor. I did in my 2013 4347.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:19 AM   #10
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
You will get heat FROM the engine w/o the optional Oasis preheat. The engine recirc pump provided the flow when engine is running.
To preheat engine from the Oasis you will need the switch & pump mentioned... or just use the electric block heater that should already be in place.
This works very well for us. We also use the engine heat to heat the Oasis for driving in cold weather. We use the electric engine block heater for preheating the engine before starting.

We do not have the circulating pump to preheat the engine but we do use the heat from the engine to heat the Oasis and coach in Our Dutch Star while driving. It is the same in the Ventana with the Oasis.

Redbaron's 45 degree number seems like a good rule of thumb to use. Anyone hear a recommendation for how long to use the electric block heater before starting the coach or of a target engine temperature?
Old 12-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #11

If temps in teens or below I plug in & run block htr overnight.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
If temps in teens or below I plug in & run block htr overnight.
That was the reason I installed the oasis pump. The block heater is slow and requires a lot of planning to be effective. It also requires that it be plugged in outside before it can be used.

It is not a good idea to leave it plugged in, as the plug outlet is exposed to elements and can have water introduced causing the gfi to trip.

The inconvenience of it leaves one to only use it in extremes, causing damage over time. With the oasis, i can have coolant temp at 90f in 1 hour, and 145 in 2 hrs. I never have to go outside, and can use it for temps that were unexpectedly low.

The going rate for a dealer install is $700.00 including all the parts. $500 of this is labor. I did the task, and it was more involved than I thought. I would do it again on my unit, but I wouldnt do it for anyone else. I would be willing to watch and direct though
Old 12-08-2018, 10:19 AM   #13

My Ventana has built in receptacle in the elec bay to power the block heater. No connections out it the Wx.
I did buy a spare Oasis pump but understand preheat install is not real EZ so I carry it as a spare and have moved preheat down the priority list. Admit I only start in cold 1-2x/ yr when heading S so it's not a big deal for me.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
My Ventana has built in receptacle in the elec bay to power the block heater. No connections out it the Wx.
I did buy a spare Oasis pump but understand preheat install is not real EZ so I carry it as a spare and have moved preheat down the priority list. Admit I only start in cold 1-2x/ yr when heading S so it's not a big deal for me.
That is a big difference between DS and ventana. I prefer the location on the ventana. I dont think there is a reason to disconnect it ever on ventana, especially during the colder months.

You are right...installation is not fun at all. If it wasnt for my extreme paranoia about work quality, I would have the dealer do it.

My concern is the routing of the coolant lines has to be done properly to prevent rubbing and kinks. This was a lot of work, and I question if dealers would take time to do it properly, or just get it done.

Tags
oasis, vent, ventana