RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2020, 04:08 AM   #1

2020 Baystar awning makes clicking sound on front when engine on?

Is there some kind of adjustment on the awning? Appears motor thinks awning needs to come in more but it is flush. Keeps clicking trying to rotate right near maybe the wind sensor? Anyone ever had to deal with this?
Loony79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #2

Don't know what kind of awning you have but some of them use a current limiting circuit to shut off the motor when the awning is fully retracted. May be set to high. Just a guess and something to check out.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #3

2020 Baystar 3401 here, mine clicks for 2 minutes then stops only if you turn the key on or start the coach. Don't think its right at all, called Dometic (9200 model) and they had no answers........

Wonder if its a wind sensor setting or something? Newmar had no answers as of yet either.....

Thanks
103Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:13 AM   #4

Will be at factory in October and hopefully they will be able to fix it along with other items on the punch list!
Thanks
Old 07-28-2020, 02:37 PM   #5

Please report back here on the outcome. Good Luck!
Old 07-31-2020, 09:49 PM   #6

We have friends that just purchased a 2020 Bay Star Sport and our first weekend out their awning was clicking and sometimes beeping and it turned out that it was the battery in the wind sensor. It drove us all CRAZY trying to figure it out but it was actually just a couple of batteries. Iím hoping that is what the problem is with yours too, something super easy and inexpensive.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:14 AM   #7

Thank you. Will check it out for sure.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:21 PM   #8

2020 Bay Star here, same issue, I even heard the clicking while driving. My dealer said itís a Dometic issue. I got the impression that they know about it but probably wonít fix it. Workaround was the dealer installed a switch in one of the bays to kill the power to it. Not a fix, but it works. Interested in hearing what the Mothership tells you about it in Oct.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:41 PM   #9

Well Called Dometic again today, total waste of time. My vibration sensor (wind sensor) is mounted to the hardware arm and I can't remove it. It will slide about an eighth of an inch and hits the motor shaft. So I can't remove it from the base and check the battery. I tried to set off the sensor with some heave quick movements of the awning arm but nothing happened. So, either the battery is dead or something else is wrong. Dometic was adamant there was no battery inside and it had wires going to it. Mine has no wires and in the instructions shows how to replace the battery......

In earlier post I said it was a 9200 model but its actually a 9100!

Go Figure....
Old 10-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #10

Awning Issue Resolved!

Hello All,
Well after a service visit at NEWMAR, my awning is supposed to be fixed. I have not picked up the coach yet but have been assured all is good. Newmar tried replacing the wind sensor, the remote unit in the basement, and the awning motor. None of these fixed my problem. Finally they found that 2 wires were installed wrong or switched on the remote during assembly. Reversing the two wires fixed the issue. Guess there are a couple of red wires on the unit and they were switched.

Good Luck
Old 10-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #11

Tech called me Friday and said my motor was gone and also the controller in the basement was melted. He changed motor, controller and wind sensor and said all is working like it should. Picking up coach tomorrow at the mother ship. Had a punch list done and most items have been completed.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 103Eagle View Post
Hello All,
Well after a service visit at NEWMAR, my awning is supposed to be fixed. I have not picked up the coach yet but have been assured all is good. Newmar tried replacing the wind sensor, the remote unit in the basement, and the awning motor. None of these fixed my problem. Finally they found that 2 wires were installed wrong or switched on the remote during assembly. Reversing the two wires fixed the issue. Guess there are a couple of red wires on the unit and they were switched.

Good Luck
I heard this same repeated clicking recently, early in the morning, pretty cold outside and awning arms were wet from rain overnight. Today, several days later and back home in the garage and warm weather, all dry... no clicking noise. Since i have heard it, though, I’d like to compare notes. I see the two red wires on the white remote receiver in the basement. One is tied to a thicker (heavier gauge) red wire in the connecting harness than the other and on the smaller red wire there’s a yellow trace. Any way to tell which of the two red wires should be connected to the heavier gauge wire in the harness?
jdyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:58 AM   #13

I see Loony79 got his problem fixed--replaced all the parts! We had this problem at walkthru mid Jan. Iirc it was a sensor trying to retract the awning, but it was at the retracted limit--so it just kept repeatedly trying for a few minutes. The dealer removed the board from the white box in the basement. Our awning would then manually (using the switch above the entry door) extend and retract without the wind sensor working because of the removed board.
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdyson View Post
I heard this same repeated clicking recently, early in the morning, pretty cold outside and awning arms were wet from rain overnight. Today, several days later and back home in the garage and warm weather, all dry... no clicking noise. Since i have heard it, though, Iíd like to compare notes. I see the two red wires on the white remote receiver in the basement. One is tied to a thicker (heavier gauge) red wire in the connecting harness than the other and on the smaller red wire thereís a yellow trace. Any way to tell which of the two red wires should be connected to the heavier gauge wire in the harness?
Correction to my earlier post - The larger gauge red wire in the harness has black trace and the smaller red wire in harness has white trace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5F909C68-1877-47C4-856E-D23B1BA1DB46.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	306487  
jdyson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, engine