Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2020, 04:44 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
I also would be concerned with the weight on the front axle. take a look at your tag axle setup. you may be able to lower the load on your tag which puts more weight on the dual mains, and unloads the front axle as well.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2020, 05:33 PM   #30

I recommend adjust the ride height first to the top of the specs.
Weigh it after the adjustment. I bet you see a big change for the better.
My 2020 Horizon 42 Q weighs much less due to the Techoform wood used in my MH.
Full water & fuel.
I had ride Height checked as soon as I bought and put my stuff in.
A small change in ride height will change the weights.
Front Only 14,200 lbs
Rear 25,360
Total 39,560
My CCC is over 8,000 lbs
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #31

I had my current RV weighed at NIRVC, Lewiston, and the values didn't seem correct. I then drove down the road and had it weighed on a CAT Scale and found significant differences in the values. The CAT scale showed over 1000 pound differences in values for 2 of the axles. The CAT values are for each axle and not each wheel but close enough for me. Some CAT scale installations will let you get one side off the scale and a little math will give you the weight at each wheel. CAT guarantees their values.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:55 PM   #32
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Our's is quite a bit heavier on the left front. Next time i'm in the coach, I'll post the exact numbers. Haven't had any handling problems in almost three years though.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:37 PM   #33

Weight Balance

My company has weighed thousands of RV's. One thing is clear, the newer RV's come out of the factory out of balance. When we weigh the older RV's, especially those without slides they are much more in balance than the newer ones with giant slides, residential refers, 6-8 batteries, granite counter tops, etc. Keep in mind that if you shift 100lbs to the other side, that is a 200lb shift in weight, helping to balance. It is not uncommon to see 42-45 ft RV's as much as 1,500 lbs out of balance. On a 43ft we like to keep it below 1,000. On smaller units like 36ft we try to keep it below 400lbs. The scales your were weighed on sound like Haenni scales which are the gold standard for the industry. I don't have your GAWR for the front axle but one thing you want to keep in mind is that what ever the listed GAWR is, no axle end should exceed 50% of that axle. So you may be under the GAWR for the axle but over on an end. A large imbalance can sometimes do that.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqqest View Post
Have been down at NIRVC Las Vegas for 4 days getting my coach issues fixed.

They checked the ride height at my request and had just gotten their new tire scales a couple of weeks ago. They offer a free weight check if you are there for service and ask for it, I was their 4th weigh. I have attached the weight receipt. I am 1200 pounds heavy on the driver side overall, with the front driver 800 lbs heavier than the passenger side. That would explain why I can't get the front driver side to air up sometimes when I store the jacks and am ready to leave camp.

Anyone else this heavy on one side? Spartan recommended that I move stuff around, but all my heavy stuff is already on the passenger side. The only things on the driver side are my hose basket, a couple of extension cords, wash towels, etc., only a hundred pounds all together.

Any ideas or is this not a problem? I am thinking I might try adjusting the ride heights a little to move the weight around a little.
Attachment 290287
Was the scale certified by a government agency? Since you were the 4th weigh, it may not have been checked yet. But if those figures are accurate, you may neet to load it heavier on the other side to compensate a bit.
davis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up Ricci,

I will give Newmar a call to get the production wheel weights.

I have communicated several times with Spartan, and a Spartan tech was the one that suggested only airing up with the full wall slide in.

The same dump valve feeds both the front air bags off a tee, so if one side comes up, so should the other. The front ride height valves do have the time delay valves so that is a factor. Since the right side is a lot lighter, the air pressure brings that bag up fully while the driver side just sits there. I have checked the ride height valve myself, and with the jacks down to take the weight off the air bag, it seems to work with no problem.

Spartan insists that I am probably just not waiting long enough, and that it could take 5 minutes or more for the front driver bag to reach ride height. Time to do some testing.
Check your air lines, is one pinched when the slide is deployed? It sounds like one of those annoying little gremlins that love to hassle you...
davis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:38 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Have been down at NIRVC Las Vegas for 4 days getting my coach issues fixed.

They checked the ride height at my request and had just gotten their new tire scales a couple of weeks ago. They offer a free weight check if you are there for service and ask for it, I was their 4th weigh. I have attached the weight receipt. I am 1200 pounds heavy on the driver side overall, with the front driver 800 lbs heavier than the passenger side. That would explain why I can't get the front driver side to air up sometimes when I store the jacks and am ready to leave camp.

Anyone else this heavy on one side? Spartan recommended that I move stuff around, but all my heavy stuff is already on the passenger side. The only things on the driver side are my hose basket, a couple of extension cords, wash towels, etc., only a hundred pounds all together.

Any ideas or is this not a problem? I am thinking I might try adjusting the ride heights a little to move the weight around a little.
Attachment 290287
I’m a little confused....when you scale a multi axel unit, axle number one is generally the steering axle. If that is the case, you are almost 20,000 lbs on the steering axle....sounds kind a heavy to me 🤷*♂️
However I would get a re-weigh at another scale. If your model comes with dual height control valves on the rear and a single height control valve on the front....then you could be off 800 lbs side to side
Good Luck, and repost your results
LSBEH
Old 07-06-2020, 10:45 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star David View Post
Our's is quite a bit heavier on the left front. Next time i'm in the coach, I'll post the exact numbers. Haven't had any handling problems in almost three years though.

Thanks Dutch Star David, I would love to see your weights.
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:54 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis2 View Post
Was the scale certified by a government agency? Since you were the 4th weigh, it may not have been checked yet. But if those figures are accurate, you may neet to load it heavier on the other side to compensate a bit.
Hi Davis2,

The scales are really nice scales and come pre-calibrated. I don't know how I can transfer weight from my drivers side to the passenger side. Only a few light weight items over there and all my heavy stuff is on the passenger side already.

As far as pinched air lines, I have been under the front end, checked all lines and fittings, and tested all the valves, etc. It looks like Spartan is right in that it really does take up to 5 minutes for the front drivers side to fully air up. After my Allegro Bus that aired up instantly at all 4 corners, that just "seemed" wrong to me. It really tweaks the chassis with the rear and front passenger fully aired up while the drivers side bags is still fully deflated. I am still looking for a solution to get it to air up more quickly/evenly.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:10 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSBEH View Post
I’m a little confused....when you scale a multi axel unit, axle number one is generally the steering axle. If that is the case, you are almost 20,000 lbs on the steering axle....sounds kind a heavy to me ��*♂️
However I would get a re-weigh at another scale. If your model comes with dual height control valves on the rear and a single height control valve on the front....then you could be off 800 lbs side to side
Good Luck, and repost your results
LSBEH
LSBEH,

That is correct, axle one is the front axle with a GAWR of 19,000 lbs. on my 2020 DS. I am at 18,000+ and one weigh I did at a CAT scale fully loaded, had me a little over 19,000 lbs. on the front axle. I see that the just released specs. show that the 2021 Dutch Star now has a 20,000 GAWR!

My Spartan has two ride height valves on both the front and rear axles. I still think that my tag is carrying too much weight, which takes weight off of the drive axle, and transfers more weight to the front axle. Same problem I had on my Allegro Bus until I installed pressure regulators on the tag axle bags. Took 1,000 lbs off of my front end when I did that, and gave me a 2/3rds to 1/3rd split on my drive and tag axle.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #40

Weight differences on coaches

A few years ago we were at a rally where the organizers were doing the individual weights for the attendees at no charge. I spent some time with the man doing the weights and he said after doing thousands of units, there NEVER has been one that wasn’t different side to side. All RVs going down the road are off to some degree and I would challenge anyone to site a case where this was a contributing factor in an accident.
Coach manufacturers have engineers who design the setup of these coach’s and I can’t believe amateurs are second guessing the manufacturer and making changes to these very complicated and expensive machines. The frame and running gear are made by companies that specialize in this and this is not the same as a fridge or slide issue.
If you suspect a problem with the weight, ride and handling of your coach, take it back to the manufacturer or their dealer and make sure the verdict is documented for future reference.
beedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:41 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think it's about leverage. When I air up with the slides out the right side comes up all the way and the drivers side (FWS) comes up very little. As I move the FWS in the drivers side airs up in proportion to the slide going in. I see nothing wrong with the way mine airs up. FWS is a lot of weight sticking out 30"
Old 07-31-2020, 06:48 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
I think it's about leverage. When I air up with the slides out the right side comes up all the way and the drivers side (FWS) comes up very little. As I move the FWS in the drivers side airs up in proportion to the slide going in. I see nothing wrong with the way mine airs up. FWS is a lot of weight sticking out 30"
I agree 10 fan,

The big full wall slide definitely is part of the issue. If I am on level ground, the front drivers side will eventually air up every time. If I am parked and already low on that side, the front driver side will NOT ever air up. I also make sure that the air tanks are at full pressure before airing up and that helps.

Spartans response was to bring the full wall slide in before airing up, but that directly contradicts what Newmar says. But, anytime it looks like I am parked low on the drivers side, I have to level first, then put out the slides. Then pull them back in before airing up. It just seems crazy that I have to even be aware of all these things in order to use my motorhome without having issues airing up. I did like that in my previous motorhome, if the travel ready light was on, it meant my jacks were up and all the airbags are at full ride height.