Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2020, 06:29 PM   #1
LBJ

2020 Mountain Aire Xantrex Fault

Hi All - I need some help understanding the following:

We have a Xantrex 3012 installed on a 2020 Mountain Aire...yesterday the Xantrex threw a fault "F1" - AC Output Under Voltage.

Xantrx and Newmar don't open for regular support till Monday morning so I am doing as much as I can now so I am fully armed for Tech Support on Monday. However, the batteries are not being charged and this may become an emergency before then - I am hoping this is something simple someone else has come across.

All thoughts and/or suggestions are welcomed (note: DW is x-posting this in FB group as well).

Problem Statement:

The actual error messages on the Silverleaf display (HOME->Features->Network Diagnostics) always come as a pair and looks like this:

XANTREX FSW301201-v3.11.00
INVERTER 264712 (129- 65-0) 1
1 AC OUTPUT UNDER VOLTAGE

XANTREX FSW301201-v3.11.00
INVERTER 264712 (129- 66-0) 1
66 AC OUTPUT UNDER VOLTAGE

Clearing the errors or rebooting the inverter does noting - the errors reoccur.

The manual states:

1. This 'Fault Type' is an 'Escalating Auto Fault' which means it must occur 3 times in 30 seconds before becoming a 'manual' fault - more on this later.

2. The 'Cause' is "Inverter voltage is under 100 volts" (I don't understand what this actually means)

3. The 'Solution' is "Remove excessive load" ( I have removed all the loads, see below, to no avail)

So, I really don't fully understand all that - but that is all the help the manual provides - my Google and Newgle searches have turned up tons of data on Xantrex and this model but nothing specific on this fault.

I have done the following 'diagnostics'

1. The Coach batteries are at 12.9V as measured, via multimeter, directly at the batteries.

2. In the battery compartment - both sides of both in line fuses measure 12.9V

3. At the Inverter the DC input measures 12.9V - so I _think_ the DC side looks fine.

4. While on Shore Power everything works normally - i.e. I can clear the faults and they stay cleared.

5. While on Generator everything works normally - i.e. I can clear the faults and they stay cleared.

6. While on Shore Power, at the Inverter, the AC In measures 120V AC.

7. While on Shore Power, at the inverter, the AC Out measures 120V AC.

8. Ideally, I would have repeated #6 and #7 on Gennie - but didn't, the assumption is all would be the same.

9. While measuring AC Out, at the Inverter, we killed Shore Power and observed the following:
a) AC Out went to 0V Ac
b) shortly after that AC Out showed a couple/few volts then went to 0V and the fault light came on.
c) shortly after that, the fault light went out and a couple/few volts registered went back to 0V and fault light.
d) this repeated a 3rd and final time after which the fault light stayed lit.

10. I have used the "reboot" option from the Silverleaf - no joy.

11. I have totally powered down the coach (or as much as I could) using the salesman switch and removing all AC power - no joy.

12. I have 3x GFCI outlets hidden about - all were reset - no joy.

13. While under the 'error condition' I went to the panels in the 1/2 bath and individually went thru each breaker and reset the Xantrex. Each time the system went into the same fault.

14. Lastly I turned off ALL the breakers - so in theory there was 0 load downstream of the inverter with similar results.

The '3x and your out' seems very much like the "Load Sense Search Mode" however, as you will see below, this is (according to the Silverleaf I/F) Disabled. I will include all the 'Inverter Settings' below just for completeness of this trouble report:

o Low AC Frequency Cutoff - 55Hz
o High AC Frequency Cutoff - 65Hz
o Stack Mode - Primary
o Device Number - 1
o Recharge Voltage - 12.5
o Auto Recharge - Enabled
o Forced Charge - N/D
o Default Battery Temp - Warm 77F
o High AC Cutoff - 135V
o Load Sense Interval - 2 Sec
o Desired Mode - OPERATING
o Low Batt Cutout Delay - 0 M 10 S
o High Batt Cutout - 16.5V
o Charge Cycle - 3-Stage
o DC Voltage Shutdown - 11.2V
o Battery Rating - 800 A-H
o Low AC Cutoff - 95V
o Absorption Time - 3 H 00 M
o Load Sense Search Mode - DISABLED
o Load Sense Threshold - 25 W
o Max Charge Rate - 100%
o Equalize - Normal Charging
o Battery Type - AGM
o Charger Status - ENABLED
o Inverter Status - Enabled
o Max Charger Draw - 30 A

Thank you if you have read all of this, any help is appreciated.
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
LBJ

Status Update

After a call to Xantrex tech support this morning the over-the-phone diagonosis is a failed AC board...drove down to Elkheart today and will visit Advanced Solar for a NEWMAR authorized repair tomorrow....fingers crossed.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
LBJ

Final Update

okay...I will close this out with a final update...showed up at Advanced Solar near Napannee this morning...the authorized Xantrex repair shop in the midwest...nice guys there...they pulled the inverter and replaced the AC board and had me back on the road in a couple of hours...no out of pocket expense (except fuel) as Newmar and Xantrex covered everything...Ideally I would have let Newmar do it and would have gotten a new Inverter installed but we are on a schedule for the next couple of weeks and this was the most expeditious path...I am somewhat ambivalent about new vs. repaired...I now have a burned in inverter vs. a new untested one...so I am okay with it ... besides I still have the better part of 11 months warranty on it...speaking of warranty...it was important to coordinate all this via the mothership so that I didn’t violate any warranty coverage...and Newmar was very accommodating as was Xantrex...all things considered...it was a good experience...as problems go...
Old 07-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #4

Electronic stuff does fail from time to time but not often so early in life. Good to hear Newmar and Xantrex got it taken care of for you quickly.

Tags
air, mountain aire, xantrex