Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #1

2020 Report on lose slide out motor bolts

Here at Newmar Gathering in Quartzsite and did a seminar on owning a Newmar. We covered many topic but there is one I most report on that is lose slide out motor bolts. Have posted numerous times over the last 5 years on the problem and that owners need to check these bolts to avoid costly and timely problem when their slide out motor bolts. Suggested even new owners with 2020 coaches needed to check not one person who checked the motor bolts found them to be tight and most reported finger loose bolts. Suggesting again all Newmar owners check their slide out motor bolts. The 1st improvement is using Lock-Tight on the bolts and then tighten one at a time. For our 18 London Aire we put 2 inch long studs in and then double nutted and also Lock-Tight on both nuts. This has worked great for 18 months.
The second most common problem with the over 75 owners were issues with ceiling light burn out which we have had since the second week of ownership. If we had to buy another coach it would be another Newmar but these two problems will continue all year long.
Most be over 100 Newmar's here and it sure is great sharing information with them that we have experienced the last 23 years we have owned our Newmar's.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2020, 08:10 PM   #2

So I’m a new owner....can you tell me please which bolts I need to check and what they should be torqued to? Thanks!
Old 01-16-2020, 10:44 PM   #3

Supposedly Newmar reads this forum. I doubt it. Five years in and they still haven’t fixed this issue. Loctite alone is not the solution. Studs, Loctite, double nut fixes the issue that Newmar can’t, or doesn’t care to fix. The SLS method is the answer.
Just tonight talked to a 2019 Newmar owner who had kitchen slide fail. Sure, warranty took care of issue, but what about owner stranded for days.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesMH View Post
So I’m a new owner....can you tell me please which bolts I need to check and what they should be torqued to? Thanks!
Here's one thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/time...in-432733.html

Do a search and there are several others.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Here at Newmar Gathering in Quartzsite and did a seminar on owning a Newmar. We covered many topic but there is one I most report on that is lose slide out motor bolts. Have posted numerous times over the last 5 years on the problem and that owners need to check these bolts to avoid costly and timely problem when their slide out motor bolts. Suggested even new owners with 2020 coaches needed to check not one person who checked the motor bolts found them to be tight and most reported finger loose bolts. Suggesting again all Newmar owners check their slide out motor bolts. The 1st improvement is using Lock-Tight on the bolts and then tighten one at a time. For our 18 London Aire we put 2 inch long studs in and then double nutted and also Lock-Tight on both nuts. This has worked great for 18 months.

The second most common problem with the over 75 owners were issues with ceiling light burn out which we have had since the second week of ownership. If we had to buy another coach it would be another Newmar but these two problems will continue all year long.

Most be over 100 Newmar's here and it sure is great sharing information with them that we have experienced the last 23 years we have owned our Newmar's.

Newmar Man

There have been a few threads about this, but since this is the newest I’ll ask here....
Tighten with slides in or out?
Or does it matter?
Old 01-17-2020, 07:16 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another approach to the loose slide bolt issue

I've seen the stud & lock nut solution however it appears to be a fairly involved process to get the motors loose enough to move over & install the nuts.

As an alternate I've installed tab washers on the bolts. I also discovered on the full wall slide motors the brackets the slide motors attach to are thicker than the kitchen or bedroom slides. However the length of the motor attachment bolts on the full wall slide are not longer, so I installed grade 8 bolts that are 1/4" longer.

The jury is still out on the effectiveness, but seems to me the bolts can't turn without overcoming the tab. I'm on a 2500 mile trip at the moment so will see the results after a couple months of road time & slide use.

Here is some info on tab washers.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...gQIDRA4&adurl=

https://www.mcmaster.com/tab-washers...69e874k5i8upa8
Old 01-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Why does no one recommend red loctite? We use it all the time, even when we know that we will be taking it apart again.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
There have been a few threads about this, but since this is the newest I’ll ask here....
Tighten with slides in or out?
Or does it matter?
Does not matter. However I would choose in/out based on which one gives you better access & is easier on your back.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Here's one thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/time...in-432733.html

Do a search and there are several others.
Thank you. I’ll check mine when we get to Florida. The referenced thread suggests that Newmar May have fixed it on newer coaches. Hope so,
Old 01-18-2020, 04:19 AM   #10

Using red a stronger holding of Lock-Tight is what we are using on the 18 LA.
There are 2020 Newmar coaches here that have lose slide out motor bolts.
Newmar does read irv2 Newmar forum because Matt Miller has called me to ask questions about post. It was 2 or 3 years ago but when talking to our contact person for London Aire they are aware of what is posted.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:15 AM   #11

I checked mine last week. All were tight except for 2 on the motor for the small bedroom slide out. Not really that loose, though. Got about 1/4 turn on them.

I check them about every 5-6 months.- Paul
Old 01-18-2020, 06:46 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
If your going to tighten any bolt with loctitite on them, it breaks that bond. They really need to be eventually taken apart or backed way off to apply more loctite. I would recommend red because of our past experience with it.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesMH View Post
The referenced thread suggests that Newmar May have fixed it on newer coaches. Hope so,
They have not.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:11 AM   #14

Has anyone tried to get the factory to instal SLS’s stud / nordlock fix?

Tags
slide, slide out