Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2022, 01:01 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2020 Super Star HWH Steps not retracting

Pulling my hair out here. Can't get the steps to retract. Newmar wanted me to check sensors under step by unplugging each switch (under 2nd step) one-at-a-time to see if it changed anything. It did not. They want to make sure the sensor on the outer edge of the bottom step is still there and no loose. Again. No change. Does anyone have any other ideas? I'm in storage now, but I can't help but wonder what would have happened if I had been on the road when this happened!
RV cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2022, 01:18 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did you check power to the hydraulic system? If jacks work, they are on same system
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:07 PM   #3
Official iRV2 Sponsor

I'm with red baron. Do the jacks and the hydraulic slide room both operate. One switch kills the step functions and the other kills all functions. Do you have the round black push button in the entry when you walk up? Have you tired to release the park brake and put the coach into gear and see if they will retract?
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I did not run the jacks out yesterday, but I did run out the full wall slide, and brought it back in with no issues.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:55 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I have tried the parking brake as well. I have tried the step switch on the side entry wall, as well as the switch above the door--no response.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:55 PM   #6
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Ok. Can you try shutting the door, starting the coach, releasing the park brake and putting the coach into gear to see if the step will retract then.

Old 09-27-2022, 02:57 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Yes. The slide is on the same system as well. Ran out the full wall slide and retracted it with no issues.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:58 PM   #8
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The steps have a separate controller in the bay than the jacks and room. Have you reached out to hwh for assistance or just newmar? Do you know where the hydraulic pump assembly is located? If so, can you send a picture of it and in the bay. Trying to locate that controller. Newmar only builds a couple of these a year. When you unplug the switches at the bottom, it make no difference? The one on the face of the bottom step is what we need to focus on if the room and jacks are functioning.

Old 09-27-2022, 02:59 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I have had the door shut, started the coach, disengaged the parking brake, put it into drive, bumped it forward just a bit. No response on the steps.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:59 PM   #10
Official iRV2 Sponsor

hwh tech support 877-494-6466

Old 09-27-2022, 03:02 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I have not spoken to HWH. Newmar says they have like a 2 week wait just to talk to them. The hydraulics are in their own separate bay with a drawer slide out. But what I wouldn't know for sure unless seoone told me is which controller is the step controller.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:05 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Where would you unplug the face one? The other 2 are under the 2nd step. I guess these are the down sensors. The face one is just a rubber strip on the outer edge of the bottom step right? There is a phillips screw at one end.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:13 PM   #13
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The rubber strip is the switch. It's called a shin switch. It shuts down the pump if the step hits something. There is a cover at the left side of the bottom step. The wires go back up behind the door in the opening. You can trace them to the plug or you can cut them. If you cut them, that would open the circuit. If you unplug them, that will also open the circuit. If you cut them, leave enough slack to be able to but connector them back together. Sounds like you have been unplugging the wrong plugs. The curb switch is another rubber piece under the bottom step. These are what you are needing to unplug. I don't have a hydraulic step to take a picture of. But if you go out there look at the left of the bottom step you will see the small black wire cover. Single screw in the middle

Old 09-27-2022, 03:23 PM   #14

OP, fyi. Your full wall slide is all electric, no hydraulics to it. In addition to the sensorís on the stairs I believe there is one in the door jamb and door. Have you checked it?

Tags
hwh, steps