Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2023, 03:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Jack View Post
Another wrinkle in my Koni Shock research. Looks like Koni has a new shock coming out in April, called the Koni Evo FSD. I'm hearing $275 a shock! I haven't found any tech info on the shock yet. Have a call into Koni. For almost $100 more per shock, it had better be a big difference. Plus if I wait, I'll be one of the first to try them. I really can't see how it would a big difference on the F53 Chassis.

Looks like SuperSteer has a video about them... but not a lot of details, they indicate they are better than the gold FSDs... I would be interested in more info, considering upgrading my 24k chassis, but don't know if the EVO's are really the better way to go or not...

pbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2023, 10:20 AM   #16

I went ahead and bought the FSD for my 22K chassis. I'm installing next week.
Spoke with the company I ordered the FSD's from. The EVO's are manually adjustable. That is the last thing i want. I just want a good shock put on and forget about it! I dont want to be driving down the road wondering if i should try another setting!

I'll update once I install and take a few trips.
Cam Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 11:18 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking forward to your feedback on the Konis. Having quite a bit of suspension work done on our 18k F-53 in June, and Konis are the last item that we haven't yet decided to pull the trigger on just yet, but we very well might. Your opinion will be much appreciated.
RajTaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 12:28 PM   #18

We installed the Koni FDS's in addition to SuperSteer Track Bar, Radius Rods up front and a Safe-T-Steer and it rides and drives like a different MH - huge positive difference. IMHO, worth every penny and the DW agrees! (happy wife .....). I can not single hand the steering.

We purchased everything from Henderson's - extremely helpful and knowledgeable.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:54 PM   #19

Is it worth $800. This is a subjective question. Sumo Springs front & steering stabilizer biggest bang. Shocks and rear track bar help. Not getting blown off the road from a Semi, Priceless! What is a more enjoyable ride worth to you?
John Caiati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 11:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
We installed the Koni FDS's in addition to SuperSteer Track Bar, Radius Rods up front and a Safe-T-Steer and it rides and drives like a different MH - huge positive difference. IMHO, worth every penny and the DW agrees! (happy wife .....). I can not single hand the steering.

We purchased everything from Henderson's - extremely helpful and knowledgeable.
Edit: I can now single hand the steering
Old 04-26-2023, 03:12 AM   #21
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Caiati
Is it worth $800. This is a subjective question. Sumo Springs front & steering stabilizer biggest bang. Shocks and rear track bar help. Not getting blown off the road from a Semi, Priceless! What is a more enjoyable ride worth to you?
It sure was for us. I installed four Koni FSD shocks with 800 miles on the odometer of our 2020 and 16,000 miles later it remains the best, most noticeable change for the ride on our 22K V10. The other items affect handling more than comfort to me, and I've also done the rear trac bar, Safe-T-Plus, and supplemental rear sway bar. Those all improved specific aspects of the handling but not really the comfort.

After the FSDs this thing no longer sounds and feels like it's coming apart on rough roads and every bridge joint.

Ray
Old 05-22-2023, 10:44 PM   #22

Installed the Koni FSD shocks today on my 2022 3014 22k chassis.

My first turn with a good dip in the road was telling. The back and forth rocking was noticeably less than before. So far I'm pleased. I'm taking a trip in June, will report my findings. It has a 14 mile stretch that is very rough and curvy. Will be a good test.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:07 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the update; looking forward to your next one!
Old 06-12-2023, 10:17 AM   #24

After my two hour drive up the coast and a 14 mile hilly, rough and windy road, I'm a believer in the KONI FSD shocks for my 2022 Bay Star 3014 on the 22K chassis. The cornering was definitely improved, felt a lot tighter. I looked for Potholes, transitions any rough part of the road on my drive. A noticeable difference in rattling etc. Didn't encounter any wind, but next month traveling out to Oshkosh from California, I'm sure I will.

If I didn't have $1000 bucks to burn, would I make the splurge? The answer is yes, I would prioritize the install if you drive a lot of miles.

Happy to answer any questions.
Old 06-12-2023, 06:00 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post

DaFish,
What was the approximate cost for the Kona FDS's, SuperSteer Track Bar, Radius Rods and Safe-T-Steer parts and labor? I assume you did not install sumo springs?
If you had to prioritize the above parts, what order would you do them. I am looking mainly to reduce the rear sway when a semi passes you on an interstate and the cross wind push but am not against smoothing out the ride as much as possible.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-23-2023, 06:25 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just spent 2-1/2 days at Henderson's last week getting the following on our 18k F-53, 29' Winnebago:

4- Koni FSDs
Rear trac bar
Front and rear heat treated sway bars
Front radius rods
4-wheel alignment

Also put new Toyo M143s on at Les Schwab.

Rig already had blue Safe-T-Plus and 4-corner Sumos when we bought it from the original owner. (Only had 3,900 miles on it at the time.)

We started looking at this model back in 2018 and never pulled the trigger on it due to its insanely poor handling. My DW termed it "the single most terrifying driving experience" she had ever had. We knew nothing about after-market add-ons at the time. Finally bought this one with the partial add-ons as it was at least drivable.

After all the recent work, I can say that it ABSOLUTELY was worth the money and effort. Coach drives immensely better now. Is *all* wind buffeting and big rig pushing 100% gone? No, but it is probably 90+% gone, and I'll take that any day.

So yes, the Konis were a great addition, as were all the others.
Old 07-19-2023, 08:07 AM   #27

Just drove from California to Wisconsin, mainly off the interstates.

One thing I noticed was the shampoo bottle in the shower never tipped over. Before the addition of the Koni FSD shocks, that bottle would definitely be on its side.

Didn't encounter any strong crosswinds. Maybe on the way back.

Very happy with the shocks.
Old 09-02-2023, 06:50 PM   #28
BnB

Ford Super Duty Owner
Pumpkin screws

Anyone who installed the Tracbar themselves, when you pulled the 3 bolts out of the pumpkin, no easy task, did you notice the 1/4 inch of caulking like substance attachéd to the tip if the bolt that was inside the pumpkin? I thought it odd but non concerning until the last one, one in every group, the caulking broke off in the bolt hole.
I suspect if I can’t get it out the hole worse case it falls in the pumpkin and those big gears chews it up?
Thoughts? Thank in advance…
BnB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53, koni, upgrade