Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2023, 12:12 PM   #1

2021 and newer F53 Koni FSD upgrade

Anyone replace factory shocks with the Koni FSD on the new Ford F53 with the 7.3 motor? Waste of money?

I'm only looking for answers from the newer F53 owners, not the V10 owners that have a different suspension. I'm well aware of your issues and fixes.

Bottom-line, is it worth $800?
Cam Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2023, 06:33 PM   #2
Community Moderator

[QUOTE=Cam Jack;6445377]Anyone replace factory shocks with the Koni FSD on the new Ford F53 with the 7.3 motor?....... Bottom-line, is it worth $800?[/QUOTE

No.......replaced the factory stock Sachs shock absorbers with Koni FDS shoccks on a 2022 Entegra Vision 27A with a 2021 Ford F53 chassis and 7.3 V-8 gas motor and found no improvement. Best upgrades were a steering stabilizer (Safe-T-PLus), rear trac bar (SuperSteer), second rear anti-sway bar (Roadmaster) and Sumo Springs.
Old 03-13-2023, 11:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Jack View Post
Anyone replace factory shocks with the Koni FSD on the new Ford F53 with the 7.3 motor? Waste of money?

I'm only looking for answers from the newer F53 owners, not the V10 owners that have a different suspension. I'm well aware of your issues and fixes.

I replace the factory shocks on my prior coach, a ‘22 Bounder. I thought it was worth the money for it rode much better. I also added front Sumo springs, Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer and a rear trac bar. All of this made the driving much more enjoyable. Then I traded it in so I took it all off and sold them.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:44 AM   #4

Quote:

I replaced the stock (single action) shocks with Koni FSDs (double action) and it made a big difference in ride comfort. My wife noticed it immediately and thought it was well worth it. This was on a 2022 Bay Star 3226 with the 22,000 lb chassis. This observation may only be applicable to the 22,000 lb chassis.

<TED>
Old 03-16-2023, 10:56 AM   #5

[QUOTE=Camp CA;6445664]
Quote:
Anyone replace factory shocks with the Koni FSD on the new Ford F53 with the 7.3 motor?....... Bottom-line, is it worth $800?[/QUOTE

No.......replaced the factory stock Sachs shock absorbers with Koni FDS shoccks on a 2022 Entegra Vision 27A with a 2021 Ford F53 chassis and 7.3 V-8 gas motor and found no improvement. Best upgrades were a steering stabilizer (Safe-T-PLus), rear trac bar (SuperSteer), second rear anti-sway bar (Roadmaster) and Sumo Springs.

What did you notice with the second anti sway on the back? That’s the only thing I have left to do. I feel a little nervous with curves at speed but otherwise it feels stable.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedj101 View Post
I replaced the stock (single action) shocks with Koni FSDs (double action) and it made a big difference in ride comfort. My wife noticed it immediately and thought it was well worth it. This was on a 2022 Bay Star 3226 with the 22,000 lb chassis. This observation may only be applicable to the 22,000 lb chassis.

<TED>
Thx for the response.

I have the 22,000 lb chassis too. I'm assuming you only replaced the shocks. IF not, what else did you add?
Old 03-18-2023, 04:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Thx for the response.

I have the 22,000 lb chassis too. I'm assuming you only replaced the shocks. IF not, what else did you add?
I also added an Ultra Track bar to the back. I did that because I was already replacing the shocks and it was a simple and cheap modification that came highly recommended. That is the only reason that I did it and I can't say that it has actually made any difference.

I have the new chassis and before buying it, I read a lot of advice most of which came from owners of the older chassis. When I actually got the 2022 chassis, I was pleasantly surprised that I had virtually no issues with passing trucks which was the main complaint leading people to adding a track bar. I went ahead and added it anyway, but I didn't see any real difference in the handling. You might say I applied the solution for which there was not yet a problem. As I result, unless you are having a problem for which the track bar would be a solution, I can't recommend that you get one. As always, YMMV.

<TED>
Old 03-18-2023, 06:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedj101 View Post
I also added an Ultra Track bar to the back. I did that because I was already replacing the shocks and it was a simple and cheap modification that came highly recommended. That is the only reason that I did it and I can't say that it has actually made any difference.

I have the new chassis and before buying it, I read a lot of advice most of which came from owners of the older chassis. When I actually got the 2022 chassis, I was pleasantly surprised that I had virtually no issues with passing trucks which was the main complaint leading people to adding a track bar. I went ahead and added it anyway, but I didn't see any real difference in the handling. You might say I applied the solution for which there was not yet a problem. As I result, unless you are having a problem for which the track bar would be a solution, I can't recommend that you get one. As always, YMMV.

<TED>
A friend of mine has a 2019 3014 with previous chassis. He added all the recommended help for those issues. I have not experienced any of those problems in 13000 miles in the last year. It's a handful with 30 plus gusty crosswinds though. I usually pull over until it calms down anyway.

I'm hoping it will help with some of the poor highway conditions around our country. Thanks for the info on your experience with the Koni Shocks. I'll report back once I install them.

Jack
Old 03-20-2023, 10:56 PM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Recently we have been testing different options on the F-53 chassis. The Best 1st upgrade to these chassis is adding a quality shock (I can help you with names) and adding a rear sway bar. Then upgrade the front sway bar if you feel necessary. We have heard and seen a lot of different driving styles. Some understand that they are driving a box down the road and others just drive it. Some just know that they can make it better, more comfortable and safer to drive. At the end of the day purchase the right components.

Some people say "...that item too expensive" and others say "Safety & Comfort is what I want." Buy once... It's cheaper in the long run.

CUSTOM TRUCK, RV & SEMI SHOCKS by HD SHOCKS Race Proven. Highway Comfort.
SHOCKERRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 07:42 AM   #10

Thank you Tedj101 for the honest feedback on suspension upgrades. As you said, most of the post for F53's are pre 2020. I have been reluctant to upgrade anything for at least a year to understand what issues, if any, need to be addressed. And thanks to you, I can upgrade with a little reassurance of positive results.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:13 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I was also looking around for some threads or posts on the shock upgrade for the new F-53, and there isn't a lot of info on that. Tons on the previous V-10 version, but not much on the V-8. This helps a bit.

My ride isn't horrible after adding the steering stabilizer and rear trac bar, but if I had a few hundred dollars burning a hole in my pocket I'd be open to making minor improvements for a better driving experience. For me, I know that the bridge transitions and potholes will always be felt and cause a jar as I go over them, but if the straight away path with passing trucks and smaller wind gusts is easier to deal with, that's worth the upgrade to me. I spend much more time behind the steering wheel going straight down the road than I am going over bumps.
The Ward Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:48 AM   #12

Another wrinkle in my Koni Shock research. Looks like Koni has a new shock coming out in April, called the Koni Evo FSD. I'm hearing $275 a shock! I haven't found any tech info on the shock yet. Have a call into Koni. For almost $100 more per shock, it had better be a big difference. Plus if I wait, I'll be one of the first to try them. I really can't see how it would a big difference on the F53 Chassis.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:10 PM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB1KC
Thank you Tedj101 for the honest feedback on suspension upgrades. As you said, most of the post for F53's are pre 2020. I have been reluctant to upgrade anything for at least a year to understand what issues, if any, need to be addressed. And thanks to you, I can upgrade with a little reassurance of positive results.

Remember, the F-53 has a GVWR range from 16,000 to 26,000 lbs and an equally large variation in the wheelbase. Before taking advice try to find out if that person's chassis is the same size as yours.

I know several people with the V8 22,000 and 24,000 GVWR chassis that have done upgrades. Every person has said that changing out the shocks to Koni FSDs made a dramatic improvement in the ride, just like on our V10.

Some people went to the Safe-T-Plus factory in GA and had several changes done at once because they'll install suspension and handling upgrades that they did not make, as long as it includes their product. Koni FSD shocks, Safe-T-Plus, rear trac bar, radius rods, and front Sumo Springs seem to be the usual concoction. They even have a few overnight spots for people arriving early.

Ford for all of their advertising didn't really make any great changes to the V8 chassis except for the sway bar upgrades and they screwed the rear one up again. They tout improved spring rates, tuned Sachs shocks, etc. but no one knows what really was done OR how it affects each chassis size.

FWIW,

Ray
Old 03-29-2023, 08:52 AM   #14

i have a 2022 Jayco Alante 18,000 # F53 chassis, with a so called Jayco Ride. The jury is still out on that. After - market installations, with 1to 5 ratings.
Safety- T- steering control (5)
Alignment (5)
Sumo Spring front (4)
Rear Trac Bar & 4, Koni FSD. Shocks (?) No rating until i get on the highway.
John Caiati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53, koni, upgrade