Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2020, 05:32 PM   #1

2021 Bay Star 3626 or a Ventana 3709

We sold our 2015 Bay Star Sport 3309 a month ago (great RV) and are shopping for a replacement. We have narrowed it down to the BS 3626 or the VT 3709. Our goals moving to a new RV is primarily to support plans to travel for longer durations (perhaps 1-3 months at a time). Our main goals on a new coach vs our BSS 3309 are: king bed, work area for sewing hobby, better TV position (across from seating), improved seating, larger refrigerator, larger TV/higher definition (the BSS only used coax, and thus 720 was max), better handling during driving (didn’t like being pushed around by passing trucks), clothes washer/dryer. Our preference is the VT 3709, but the increased cost is also a factor both purchase and maintenance. We consider Kountry Star, but there are many differences between that and Ventana, which seems to be worth it. As everyone knows, supply demand is in favor of sellers, not buyers.

Recommendations?
aeroquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2020, 11:38 PM   #2

If you're considering the gas BS and would be satisfied with that, I would not rule out the KS if available in the 360 hp ISB. We owned a VTLE 3847 (2014) for 5 years and it served us very well. We decided to go a bit smaller with the increased hp for several reasons, but all in all the VTLE was a very good choice in getting into the diesel realm. My only wish is the Ventana we have came with hard vinyl floors in lieu of the hard, shiny tile (we bought it used). Too cold in winter and more weight added for no real benefit. If we had heated floors that would be different I suspect. Good luck in your choices.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:32 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroquality View Post
Our preference is the VT 3709, but the increased cost is also a factor both purchase and maintenance. We consider Kountry Star, but there are many differences between that and Ventana, which seems to be worth it. As everyone knows, supply demand is in favor of sellers, not buyers. Recommendations?
I believe you have sold yourself on the VT.

Since you have owned a gasser, you know the maintenance costs. The DP will have higher maintenance costs - - after all - there are a lot more moving parts.

We owned an "older" DP and went with the gasser because of less maintenance cost and it fits our needs - although - I would like some of the perks of DP ownership.

So - - good luck - let us know what you guys decide.....

g
Old 10-06-2020, 07:57 AM   #4

Your goal of better handling would put you into the Comfort Drive feature of the Ventana. Adjust for proper tire pressures and you’ll significantly reduce the road wandering and will be more stable around semi’s. CD will also reduce the side wind push that you experience out west.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:45 AM   #5

Have you taken them both for a test drive? Is the Bay Star on the new V8 chassis?

I test drove a 2020 Canyon Star and a Kountry Star 3709. I did not get to drive the new V8 chassis yet. While the Kountry Star with Comfort Drive definitely handled better, I'm not sure it was worth the much higher price considering a few suspension mods to the F53 chassis would likely narrow the handling difference at a much lower cost. The new V8 chassis may not need suspension mods.

Of course driving/handling is just one thing. There are other differences like NCC, water heater size, etc.

To me it looks like the Bay Star 3609 would be more similar to the Ventana 3709. We really like the 3709 floorplan as the counter above the fireplace is next to the kitchen and seems to provide more working space. If money were no factor that's what we would get, but since it's out of our budget range we will be sticking to looking at gassers.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:17 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

I just bought a new 3626. I put Koni shocks, Sumo springs, a Safe-t-Plus steering stabilizer and an Ultra-trac tracbar on it on day. My driving instructor said it drives almost like a DP. I can't keep up with the DP's going up hill, but who cares.

I chose the gasser for two reasons;

1} initial cost,

2] cost of maintenance.

Actually there is a third reason, as well - simplicity. I neither want or need a computer to turn on lights, put out a slide, or flush the toilet. I much prefer old fashioned switchs and buttons. These are getting more difficult to find.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:28 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like you really want the VT. A wise man said buy your second coach first. If you are anything like me you will end up with the VT so you might as well start there and save money in the long run
Old 10-07-2020, 06:56 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
I just bought a new 3626. I put Koni shocks, Sumo springs, a Safe-t-Plus steering stabilizer and an Ultra-trac tracbar on it on day. My driving instructor said it drives almost like a DP. I can't keep up with the DP's going up hill, but who cares.

I chose the gasser for two reasons;

1} initial cost,

2] cost of maintenance.

Actually there is a third reason, as well - simplicity. I neither want or need a computer to turn on lights, put out a slide, or flush the toilet. I much prefer old fashioned switchs and buttons. These are getting more difficult to find.

Did you feel the difference after putting the Koni shocks, Sumo springs, and an Ultra-trac tracbar on? I have a 2020 BS3609 with the SafeTPlus and I'm interested in your feeling of before and after handling. Can you ball park the costs of the additions and did you do them yourself? I had the SafeTplus put in at the dealer before picking it up new, they also did some of the CHF. It doesn't ride bad, but being our first MH, I have noting to compare it to.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:02 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMichHunte View Post
Did you feel the difference after putting the Koni shocks, Sumo springs, and an Ultra-trac tracbar on? I have a 2020 BS3609 with the SafeTPlus and I'm interested in your feeling of before and after handling. Can you ball park the costs of the additions and did you do them yourself? I had the SafeTplus put in at the dealer before picking it up new, they also did some of the CHF. It doesn't ride bad, but being our first MH, I have noting to compare it to.

I did this right after factory pick up, so I did not have time to discern the difference. Got the ideas from a previous poster. All in all about $4,500. I bought the parts and had a Ford dealer install them.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:33 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
We sold our 2015 Bay Star Sport 3309 a month ago (great RV) and are shopping for a replacement. We have narrowed it down to the BS 3626 or the VT 3709. Our goals moving to a new RV is primarily to support plans to travel for longer durations (perhaps 1-3 months at a time). Our main goals on a new coach vs our BSS 3309 are: king bed, work area for sewing hobby, better TV position (across from seating), improved seating, larger refrigerator, larger TV/higher definition (the BSS only used coax, and thus 720 was max), better handling during driving (didn’t like being pushed around by passing trucks), clothes washer/dryer. Our preference is the VT 3709, but the increased cost is also a factor both purchase and maintenance. We consider Kountry Star, but there are many differences between that and Ventana, which seems to be worth it. As everyone knows, supply demand is in favor of sellers, not buyers.

Recommendations?

So - - What did you purchase?

g
Old 12-08-2020, 06:55 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMichHunte View Post

Sent you a "PM"!! Hope it answers some of your questions!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
So - - What did you purchase?

g

We recently placed an order for a 2021 Bay Star 3626. We are hopeful for a delivery in April. The specials we added included a King sleep number bed, custom exterior paint, and deleted the fabric/metal on the window treatments. We also ordered the captains chairs ILO of the couch. We would have went for a Ventana but couldn’t afford it. Looking forward to the new Bay Star.
aeroquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:17 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
We recently placed an order for a 2021 Bay Star 3626. We are hopeful for a delivery in April. The specials we added included a King sleep number bed, custom exterior paint, and deleted the fabric/metal on the window treatments. We also ordered the captains chairs ILO of the couch. We would have went for a Ventana but couldn’t afford it. Looking forward to the new Bay Star.
Thanks so much for the update and all the best of luck with your new rig.

Bay Star is a great RV.

We had an old Dutch Star DP and when it came time for something new.....we went gas and into a Canyon Star. I didn't want the maintenance costs for the amount of time we used the machine.

We are not full time but it has been around the east and midwest parts of the country. It fits our needs well.

Again - good luck - If you can ever get to the Newmar factory - it is something to see.......new, neat, clean, and the people there are second to none.

Happy Holidays,

g
Old 12-09-2020, 07:34 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwyble View Post
,,, A wise man said buy your second coach first. ,,,
The only person/people to say that are the sales people who get paid thru commissions.

Tags
bay star, vent, ventana