Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2021, 10:15 AM   #1

2021 Bay Star Sport 3226

Hi All,

We are possibly purchasing a Bay Star Sport 3226. The only concern is that it only has 1 roof a/c (15-0M penguin heat pump/air conditioner). We live in Florida and are not certain that 1 a/c would be sufficient to keep the coach cooled down. Anyone have any thoughts on a 32 footer with 1 a/c? Any information or experience with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Dayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2021, 02:03 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Yeah, I don’t want to discourage you, but one AC is going to be marginal in the south. I had a 2901 with a 15k and it was not enough in Memphis or SC in August/Sept. No way around it - it was hot inside. Not even tolerable in mid afternoon in Memphis summers.

But that’s just one consideration so I’m not sure it’s worth bailing on your deal over. But we definately couldn’t get it below the low 80’s inside when it was in the low 100‘s outside. You’ll get about 20 degrees out of it.

Something to think about. My new (to me) little Ventana has two 15k btu units and for its size, it has really nice cooling capability.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:09 PM   #3

I had a 32' Baystar for 8 years. Great little coach, but one issue was only having 1 AC when it was really hot out. Plus, mine was a dark color, so absorbed heat like a sponge absorbs water! Once you go over 85 or 90 degrees out, the cooling was not sufficient. I spent a week in middle to upper 90's just north of Denver (dry heat) and it was miserable in the afternoon to be in the coach.

I will say it was my fault....I skipped the option of 50 amp and two AC's when I ordered it. That and not getting the upgraded furniture and captains chairs were two regrets on that one. Overall all though, a very fine small motorhome.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:49 PM   #4

The 1 AC is one of the reasons we did not go with the Sport and bought the regular Bay Star. The other was the 22.5 inch wheels and larger chassis. Oh and it was priced the same as a Bay Star Sport! That was the real clincher for us. Ours is also mostly black and we just spent 2 weeks at Fort Wilderness at Disney and I highly doubt that 1 AC would cut it with the temps in the 90’s or higher.
JP308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:54 PM   #5

I second the opinion that 1 AC is marginal. I owned a 2016 Baystar Sport 2813 and drove it 27,000 miles. When we traveled on hot days , we struggled to cool the coach down in the evening if we did not run both the house AC and the dash AC for the last couple hours of driving.

Once the walls and cabinets get warm, the single AC could not overcome the heat.

When parked for more than 1 night, we turned the AC on early in the AM and got the coach almost cold so it could stay pleasant all afternoon. This did not work very well when the overnight temperature outside never got below 80.
joelminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:46 PM   #6

We have a 30 ft BSS with one AC and it is somewhat inconvenient but adequate up to temps about 90. Finally decided to just add a second unit in the bedroom. I did the work myself and found a “used” unit from a damaged new coach so I only spent about $600. But even hiring it done with new parts it shouldn’t cost more tha. $1000. If you like the coach and it’s price just add what you need to make it the way you want it.
PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #7

I own a 2016 BSS 3004 with the 15k hp. If you park in direct sun, no shade, in 90+ degrees you will be an unhappy camper. You can take steps to mitigate the problem by putting reflective insulation on every window that gets direct sun, insulate the cabinets on exterior walls. A few well place fans will also help.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:40 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesMH View Post
We have a 30 ft BSS with one AC and it is somewhat inconvenient but adequate up to temps about 90. Finally decided to just add a second unit in the bedroom. I did the work myself and found a “used” unit from a damaged new coach so I only spent about $600. But even hiring it done with new parts it shouldn’t cost more tha. $1000. If you like the coach and it’s price just add what you need to make it the way you want it.
..as long as you have a vent in the bedroom to j stall it in. Can’t imagine cutting the roof for it and my Bay Star didn’t have a bedroom vent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I own a 2016 BSS 3004 with the 15k hp. If you park in direct sun, no shade, in 90+ degrees you will be an unhappy camper. You can take steps to mitigate the problem by putting reflective insulation on every window that gets direct sun, insulate the cabinets on exterior walls. A few well place fans will also help.
this is spot on. You’ll have to use every trick in the book to make it tolerable in direct sun during the summer in the South.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:37 PM   #9

The BSS didn’t have a bedroom vent so I did have to cut the opening. It was a concern but turned out to be easy. The aluminum “rafters” were spaced conveniently and framing and wiring was straightforward. Just took a bit of time to screw up the courage to make the first cut!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DDAFA4C7-485A-4C48-AB91-741A2B876DFD.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	331910   Click image for larger version

Name:	0F89CEB4-101E-4FA7-B849-8D7B3E891E41.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	331911  

Click image for larger version

Name:	7D8A7856-3CAA-4B82-9592-FAFC46074263.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	331912  
PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:45 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesMH View Post
The BSS didn’t have a bedroom vent so I did have to cut the opening. It was a concern but turned out to be easy. The aluminum “rafters” were spaced conveniently and framing and wiring was straightforward. Just took a bit of time to screw up the courage to make the first cut!
Ok, I’m impressed! Nice job and I admire the confidence
Old 06-12-2021, 08:15 PM   #11

I have a 2012 Bay Star 3302 which is an inch shy of 34' and it has dark brown along two lighter shades of paint. I can tell you that when it's hot, it definitely needs the two AC units.

Even for the model you are looking at, I would want two AC units. There is also another benefit to having two ac units: when you don't need both running, you can run the unit that when you are in the bedroom, you can run the forward AC and it's a lot quieter, and if in the main living area, run the rear AC.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #12

Agree with all that two air conditioners are always better than one. I would keep looking for a Bay Star that already has two units. You will also get the added benefit of beefier chassis parts. I like our 3124 in part because the air conditioning works so well even when we visited Yuma, AZ where it was 100 degrees. I also like not having to see the ceiling mounted units and just ceiling ducts. I will say that the construction/insulation in our BS makes a world of difference when heating and cooling. All the best and don't get talked into something that you won't be happy with.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:22 PM   #13

Just say NO to one AC

We have a BS 3414 with 2 AC units. I didn't want to go with just one because when the AC in my trailer died my engineering mind went to "next time it'll have 2".

When we camped in Atlantic City area a couple years back and could only get a site with 30amp power, we were in the ONE AC at a time camp. the power management system worked and cycled each AC one at a time, but the temps couldn't keep up. Thankfully we had bought some large fans to move air around and we were not wholly miserable.
Monkey21144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:18 AM   #14

I found one AC adequate in low 100s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl II View Post
Agree with all that two air conditioners are always better than one. I would keep looking for a Bay Star that already has two units. You will also get the added benefit of beefier chassis parts. I like our 3124 in part because the air conditioning works so well even when we visited Yuma, AZ where it was 100 degrees. I also like not having to see the ceiling mounted units and just ceiling ducts. I will say that the construction/insulation in our BS makes a world of difference when heating and cooling. All the best and don't get talked into something that you won't be happy with.
To offer a counter opinion, I was actually recently very pleasantly surprised. I have a 2020 BSS 3315, with a brown (dark) exterior and I do have two 15K ACs. However, I keep them set to staggered temperatures, so that the second one only comes on if the first one can't keep up.

We recently spent some time in 102 or so temperatures, and we had no problems at all -- only one AC ever came on, and it was on about a 2/3 - 3/4 duty cycle. Even so, it was able to keep it where we wanted (76-78) for hours on end. I credit good construction/insulation.

What couldn't keep up, though, was the campground and/or city electrical grid. The voltage kept dropping below 104 and our watchdog kept cutting power (which I'm grateful for -- that is why we bought it, after all). After a while of that, I fired up the generator for a few hours once the temperature inside rose to the mid 80s. It did take both ACs to bring the interior temperature down, but once it was down to our desired temp, one AC unit was fine to maintain.

My bottom line is that, while 2 units is definitely preferable, I wouldn't consider it a deal killer if the unit in question had all your other desired features, unless a very large percent of my time was going to be in very hot temperatures and/or campgrounds with sub-par electricity.
southardrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bay star