Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2022, 11:31 AM   #1

2021 Baystar 3626 problems / issues

Hello all.

We are looking at a used 2021 Newmar Bay Star 3626. It would be Fords 2020 F53 chassis. I would like to know what problems and issues anyone has had with the new chassis, please. Also any coach issues encountered.

We will trade a 2021 Coachmen Encore. That coach has slide issues, and chassis issues: check engine light, fuel fill inlet error, it lost cruise control, hill assist and ABS coming back from Florida. (The manual said hot brakes. We were on a flat interstate section at the time and not doing much braking). Most recently, the LCI levelers raised the coach off the ground when retract all was pressed. I feel as though this coach isn't trustworthy.

We want this to be the last motorhome we ever purchase. Our hope is that Newmar coaches are quality coaches, including the chassis (I know this is Ford). So please, anyone with the new Ford F53 chassis please let me know what your experiences are good and bad.

Thank you
sgnorris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2022, 03:10 PM   #2
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a '21 Newmar Baystar 3626. I haven't had any problems with the new chassis or the coach. You should check the VIN on www.nhtsa.gov to check for recalls. There were a bunch of the '20 F-53s that had rear axles that had not been filled with the correct amount of oil. Newmar also recently issued a recall for the wiring under the front seats not being secured we'll enough. I never had any problems and have been very happy with it.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:43 PM   #3

2022 Bay Star Sport 3226. No chassis issues at 7,200 miles. I installed a Safe-T-Plus when brand new. It’s very easy to drive. Love the unit.
Wacdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:04 AM   #4

I have a new 2022 Bay Star 3226. I have been pleasantly surprised by the chassis. i was expecting a lot of problems with wind and truck induced wind pressure. It is no worse than my E350 based Class C Winnebago I traded in and I didn't look at that vehicle as having a wind problem. Yes, the chassis is underdamped as it comes and I have a set of Koni shocks to go on next week (as well as a track bar for the rear since it never hurts to be prepared), but all in all the chassis was much better than I expected.

As to the coach, again, I am very pleased with the Newmar package - particularly the insulation (both sound and heat). One of my big complaints with the Winnebago was the sound in the unit, mostly while driving, but also when parked if running the genny. I started the generator in the Bay Star (we took delivery in 94 degree heat), and, I kid you not, I did not realize it was running! Yes, I am old and my ears aren't what they used to be, but it was about the level of the bedroom air conditioner once I filtered out the other noises and concentrated on the genny. That was a huge surprise.

Have I had problems? Yes, and I am working through them one by one. I expect to solve all but a couple on my own. The most serious have been bad noise from the door, a missing part in the Nav system, an intermittent RH side view camera (now non-operative) and a basement door that will not close properly even with the striker adjusted to the end of its adjustment. None of these are earth shattering, and most have been solved or at least jury rigged to be usable until I get the unit in for service this Fall.

Overall, I am very happy with the Bay Star!

YMMV...

<TED>
Old 08-15-2022, 06:16 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
2021 F53 Chassis issues

I have a 2021 Baystar on the new F53 chassis, I have had three issues.1. Spark Plug wire failing. If they are not the re-engineered ones, expect a tow and replacement.
2. Differential oil recall
3. Rear Sway bar Bolts coming loose or falling out.
Once these three issues were resolved everything has been very good.
KVSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:10 PM   #6

I have that model.

Overall a good coach and drives well. Much better driving than my previous Bay Star Sport.

- Rear end Ford recall was a big impact as it sat at a dealer for 3 months waiting for bearing parts.
- Front brake pads were cracked - at 3K mikes (and 2.5K was the delivery mileage). Very odd. Ford replaced that under warranty.
- One acid leaking Interstate 6V battery.
- Hood release didn’t work. Newmar tech replaced the bracket and cable. Said it was a new bracket design as other coaches have had the issue.
- Lock on refrigerator defective.
- Slide controller failed (caught on delivery).

If it wasn’t for the Ford recall, I would it’s a short list.

Caution:

Flat towing issue I realized with the Bay Star over my prior Sport - the rear is sloped up which helps with bottom strikes on dips in the 3626. It isn’t on the Bay Star Sport. Problem is the height difference on my car is now excessive. Even a 10” drop isn’t enough!
aeroquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:46 AM   #7

What kind of vehicle do you flat tow? We have a sonic. The sales guy did some measurements and thought it'd be fine. We lined the car up with the hitch and he thought it looked good. I didn't think anything of it until your comment.

Thanks
sgnorris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:35 PM   #8

Ford Fusion Energi Hybrid. I towed it with my Bay Star Sport. I potentially could two it with the 3626, but I would have a 10 inch drop and then still have a few inches off level. I figure if I did that, I would be scrapping bottom on driveway dips. My conclusion, I need a Jeep Wrangler.
aeroquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 02:05 PM   #9

21 Baystar 3609

Ours is just a little over a year old and no real issues. Just had the Safe-T-Plus installed and it's a big help and had upgraded sway bars installed. Drives great!
chip52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip52 View Post
Ours is just a little over a year old and no real issues. Just had the Safe-T-Plus installed and it's a big help and had upgraded sway bars installed. Drives great!
I just put Koni Shocks and an Ultratrack Track bar on mine. The Konis made an instant difference. Much more than I would have expected. Heck, my wife pretty much immediately declared them worth the cost!

<TED>
Old 09-16-2022, 06:12 PM   #11

2021 Newmar baystar 3226 Koni shocks

Hello all and thanks for helpful replies in advance

I own a 2021 baystar 3226 it sits on a Ford F53 chassis I ordered koni shocks front and rear if someone in the forum has ordered these for an F53 chassis can you please give me the part no# for the front and rear I’m not sure i ordered the correct ones

thanks
afmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 03:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmale View Post
Hello all and thanks for helpful replies in advance

I own a 2021 baystar 3226 it sits on a Ford F53 chassis I ordered koni shocks front and rear if someone in the forum has ordered these for an F53 chassis can you please give me the part no# for the front and rear I’m not sure i ordered the correct ones

thanks
I have a Bay Star 3226 also. I bought the Koni FSD shocks as follows:

8805-1018 Front
8805-1019 Rear

These appear to be the numbers for FSDs for all current F-53s, but I am sure they are the numbers for the 22,000 lb. chassis (which is what the Bay Star 3226 rides on).

I bought from Ultra RV Products. $170 each as I recall.

They provided a surprising improvement in both ride and handling. We went to the Hershey RV show a couple of days ago. I wanted to find the Liquid Springs folks. My wife said "don't bother". She is fine with the Bay Star since we changed the shocks!
Old 09-17-2022, 09:21 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tedj101
QUOTE:
"They provided a surprising improvement in both ride and handling. We went to the Hershey RV show a couple of days ago. I wanted to find the Liquid Springs folks. My wife said "don't bother". She is fine with the Bay Star since we changed the shocks"

I've got to tell you that the "Liquid Spring" installation will be a big improvement over the Koni shocks & Ultra-Trac track bar!

I added the Koni's, the Ultra-Trac, the Saf-T-Plus, & Sumo front springs to my Canyon Star when it was new. A BIG improvement over "stock"!

But the "Liquid Spring" installation has made the riding/driving of my coach, such a pleasure! Just completed a 6,500 mile trip out West, and the ride and handling were fantastic! As good as any "diesel, air-ride coach", which has a solid front axle! An amazing product! Worth every penny (I'd have paid more, now that I know how much difference it makes)!

This has been a great experience for me, & there is no way I'd spend the $75,000-$150,000 more for a diesel "DP" with air-bag suspension!

Just one ol man's opinion!

Enjoy your coach & safe travels!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:50 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Bought our 2019 BS 3626 new. (Traded our BS 3308 in on it.) Really like it. No complaints or problems per se, other than it's an RV and something always happens! For example, chassis battery, leveler solenoid and step controller needed replacing this year. None of it big deal stuff...
Patti Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problem, problems