RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2020, 09:38 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2021 Canyon Star Diesel

I just read an article from RV News that talks about the 2021 Canyon Stars will be front engine diesels. A little vague, but as I read it, all Canyon Stars will have the 6.7L Cummins with air brakes and air suspension. Appears its a complete redesign with new front and rear caps, new control center, etc. Someone posted the article on Facebook Newmar Owners Group page.

jt

harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2020, 11:17 PM   #2
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
https://www.rvnews.com/newmar-debuts...l-canyon-star/

Old 03-31-2020, 06:07 AM   #3

An interesting development. I purchased my 2019 Canyon Star precisely because it was a top of the line class A motorhome that was NOT a diesel. Seems to me their biggest competitor for the FRED CS will be the Ventana LE (or whatever they call it these days).

The price difference between my gas CS and a DP VLE was only a few thousand dollars and that was for a DP and not a FRED. If I remember right the FREDs of the past didn't fly off the shelves.

With the new and supposedly improved F-53s coming from Ford I have to wonder what Newmar sees. At any rate, I already own my last motorhome so it will be fun to watch how it goes with this new CS.

One more thing, take a look at that rear overhang. Do you think it'll ever drag on the ground?
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post

One more thing, take a look at that rear overhang. Fo you think it'll ever drag on the ground?
My thoughts exactly! That and the noise/vibration under your feet.
Proverbs 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:22 AM   #5

Just a thought.
I see a lot of complaints of noise in the front engined rigs. So are any manufacturers making gas pusher?
Certainly cut down on the noise factor.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
Just a thought.
I see a lot of complaints of noise in the front engined rigs. So are any manufacturers making gas pusher?
I think some tried it but seem to remember they had cooling issues.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:24 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree that it will have limited appeal as a coach for living in the entire space as any other gas or rear diesel class A. But the statement near the end that it will be the "first and only diesel-powered Class A toy hauler in the RV industry!" tells you something about their thinking. Put a nice size garage in the rear end of a 40' coach and power it with a diesel and you will get more than a few people willing to put up with a little noise in the cockpit in order to have diesel torque available instead of gas while they haul all those motorcycle, golf cart, ATV, etc. toys in the back.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:53 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I thought it was to be a "Toy Hauler" exclusive!
But, it could migrate to the rest of the Canyon Star line-up.

Before I priced, and ordered, my 2020 Canyon Star 3710, I compared 2019 models, & there was a $72,000 difference in a Canyon star 3710, & a comparable Ventana LE, I think it was a 3709 model!

It will be interesting to watch & see what develops, going forward!

And for all that money difference, I can & will do a lot of traveling & camping in my fantastic, gas powered Canyon Star!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
Just a thought.
There is no chassis maker offering a "gas pusher" chassis today. The Workhorse R-26 "UFO" chassis was the only one in recent times and Navistar closed them down in 2012.

Modern cooling technology made "overheating" to NOT be an issue with the "UFO", but those false assumptions still exist, even today.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:16 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Iím one of those people who just prefer gas. I donít want the extra expense and complexity of a diesel along with the air bags and air brakes. Admittedly however if our usage changed and we were doing a lot more traveling then the diesel might make more sense for us. But as it is we are weekenders with only one or two week long trips a year so gas works well for us. I liked the quality of the Canyon Star - interior quality was close to that of a mid line diesel. I will say that if I were to go diesel, I would definitely want a pusher. The FREDs have been done before and always seemed short lived, ie, Newmar Grand Star and Tiffin Allegro Bay. I predict this will see the end of the Canyon Star line in a couple of years when they donít see enough sales volume to justify continued production. Unfortunately this change leaves only the Bay Star lineup for a gas choice with Newmar. While the BS is a nice coach as well my problem with it is the reduced ceiling height compared to the CS and the rest of the lineup. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:40 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - Live long enough and you get to see everything twice. As others have stated other companies have made front diesel motorhomes. Tiffin decided back in the early 2000's started to make a front engine coach (under the Allegro Bay and the FRED tags). The thought pattern was the same, that the price for a high line gasser was right up there with a diesel coach (they were shocked that prices were all the way up to over 175K. Boy has life changed). A variety of issues including the Workhorse saga and noise complaints cause them to flop in a few years.

Newmar's approach is somewhat different in that toy haulers really didn't exist back then and the diesel does allow for better loads. Maybe history will not repeat itself. But personally I miss the high line gassers and hope someone continues to make them. There is a market for them same as there is for 32 foot highline diesels.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:00 AM   #12

Interesting that it is using a whole different chassis. I had been wondering about Ford putting their own diesel in the new F53 chassis. This sounds even better with air suspension and air brakes though. Maybe Ford will step up their game in response? Watching with interest to see how the FRED design fares this time around.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post

Before I priced, and ordered, my 2020 Canyon Star 3710, I compared 2019 models, & there was a $72,000 difference in a Canyon star 3710, & a comparable Ventana LE, I think it was a 3709 model!

And for all that money difference, I can & will do a lot of traveling & camping in my fantastic, gas powered Canyon Star!
I didn't realize the prices had changed that much from 2019. Our CS had a list price of just under 210K and Ventana LEs could be had for around 240K.
Plus they were discounting DPs a bit more than the high end gassers. Of course that was pretty much at the top of the market in the last half of 2018. I'm sure the supply and demand charts have changed significantly since then.

I really don't see a front engine diesel Canyon Star getting a lot of attention. If you want a toy hauler motorhome the super C seems to be the preferred route.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakHillFarm View Post
Interesting that it is using a whole different chassis. I had been wondering about Ford putting their own diesel in the new F53 chassis. This sounds even better with air suspension and air brakes though. Maybe Ford will step up their game in response? Watching with interest to see how the FRED design fares this time around.
Me too.

Quote from RVB article today has me a bit concerned about the chassis features, see below:
".......The 2021 Canyon Star front-engine diesel was certainly one of the product highlights of the webcast, with officials noting that the platform for the coach is Freightliner’s MC front-engine diesel chassis, which is powered by a Cummins B engine that provides 340 horsepower and is paired with an Allison 2500 series transmission.
This new chassis is rated at 30,000 pounds (GVWR) and is equipped with a tow hitch rated at 6,000 pounds. The standard generator is an Onan 6.0 kW diesel powered generator with an option for an 8.0 kW Onan unit. Other features include air ride on the rear drive axle and air braking system....."

To me, this implies there are no air bags on the front axle, which if true, makes no sense to me. AFAIK, this "hybrid" suspension system would be an RV industry first.

edgray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canyon star, diesel