Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2021, 05:08 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2021 Dutch Star 4081 Reviews

Looking for opinions/reviews/pros and cons on this coach. It seems to be about the perfect size between too small and too large. I've not had anything with a tag axle so I assume the ride will be better comparing Freightliner chassis' with and without. Larger engine seems to be a plus as well. If you own one what do you like and don't you like? If you were considering one and didn't buy, what steered you away? Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2021, 05:27 AM   #2
Community Moderator

I have a 4347 and honestly I have no idea why people buy a 40 foot coach unless they already have a garage that won’t fit a 43 footer.

Everywhere we have been, if a 40 foot would have fit, a 43 (or 45) would too. You will never feel the extra 3 feet length while driving, but you WILL appreciate the extra room, and basement storage the extra 3 feet provide.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 05:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I have a 4347 and honestly I have no idea why people buy a 40 foot coach unless they already have a garage that won’t fit a 43 footer.

Everywhere we have been, if a 40 foot would have fit, a 43 (or 45) would too. You will never feel the extra 3 feet length while driving, but you WILL appreciate the extra room, and basement storage the extra 3 feet provide.
Very true. I never understood that either.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:41 AM   #4
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are very happy with our 4018. We were full time for two years and never had a problem with space. We have been considering a new coach. It would most likely be a 4081 or a 35' New Aire.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:58 AM   #5

The only negative I have heard was only having 2 A/C's. I'm sure they drive great with the comfort drive and tag axle
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:28 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I read that as well and wondered how much difference there is between it and my current 3709 with respect to cooling. We have not had any issues with ours at 38’ but I’m not sure how much strain the additional 3’ would cause. From what I can tell the 4018 does not have an optional 3rd unit.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:42 AM   #7

We have a 2021 4081 and love the floor plan, we have not had an issue with only 2 A/C units in 95 plus the coach has stayed at 72 to 74 with no issues. Love the tag axle, you will give up a little basement space because of it on a 40 ft, we did not order the outside freezer and use that space for storage. We use the coach up to 90 days at a time. No major issues with the coach. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:27 AM   #8

We own a DutchStar 40 with the TAG for over 11 years and love the coach. I would not own a RV 40 plus without the TAG - would not be here today if I had a coach 40 without the tag thanks to a trucker who fell asleep and I had to put the coach over a steep shoulder for 5 miles at 65 plus. In CA like some other states you cannot drive anything over 40 without a special license. In fact the CHP in southern CA will pull you over if you from Southern CA and driving a 40 or larger RV. I know of several friends who used to own 40 and had to sale because at their age did not want to go thru the process of getting the special license. I live in Northern CA and not as big an issue so along I am 40. Currently, I reached that point in life that it's time to down size - have a New Aire 4543 on order - will miss the DS but looking forward to going back to NP, State Parks, etc since I live out West where there are so many.
Bigbear_9566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:18 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
To each his own. I had the 40, 43 and now 45. Not ever going back. Bigger is better in my opinion, period. If you want a camper, and that's the mission, smaller is OK. I wanted a motor home for 4 months at a time. I'd pay extra for the Spartan though. Again, just me, and a few others.

Having said that, you'll love the 40 foot Dutch Star, great coach...

Bill
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:35 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
People have all types of reasons why they buy a certain length. That's why they make Rv's from 10' to 45'. I didn't want to get an additional license, which is required in California for anything over 40'. We also found that 40' was the maximum we could squeeze into the National Parks that we visit.

To answer your question, I'll give you what I feel are the shortcomings of the Dutch Star and 40' model. The Dutch Star is okay with the ISL (L9) engine, but it's really at it's limit when pulling grades. At some point, any future additional weight added to the Dutch Star model is going to need an upgrade to the small ISX like the Mountain Aire gets.

The two A/C units are fine if you start them early and keep the shades closed. They're problematic when driving on 100 degree days and trying to cool the coach down at the end of the day. Newmar says it's not an issue, yet they can't explain why they put three in the 40' Mountain Aire.

Lastly, I wanted a tag axle coach and since Newmar was the only company making one in 40', it was an easy choice. The down side, it has about the same storage space as my 36' Monaco Diplomat, because of the space the tag axle takes up.

With all that said, we personally like the 40' Dutch Star, as this is our second one. I know the 43' is their best selling model, but like I said, the 40' is a better fit for US.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:36 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I appreciate everyone's comments and perspective. Don, your comments are dead on with what I was considering. I am concerned that with the additional weight the more powerful engine may not fell much different than what I have now. I was also concerned about the A/C capabilities with the longer coach.

I do like the bathroom layout better than what we currently have and the seats are more comfortable however those two items are not worth the price difference to me.

Thanks again to everyone.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:08 AM   #12

We’re moving from a Ventana 4369 to Dutch Star 4081. We decided to downsize to a shorter coach as we find some of our travels make the larger coach a little more of a challenge.

Looking forward to this spring when our new Dutch Star will be delivered.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Slow 90 View Post
I appreciate everyone's comments and perspective. Don, your comments are dead on with what I was considering. I am concerned that with the additional weight the more powerful engine may not fell much different than what I have now. I was also concerned about the A/C capabilities with the longer coach.

I do like the bathroom layout better than what we currently have and the seats are more comfortable however those two items are not worth the price difference to me.

Thanks again to everyone.
I may have misunderstood your comment but the shorter coach may have the ac issues as it only has two not three line in the 43'er.

While I have the 43' my in-laws have the 40'er. The main differences between the two are the two vs three ac's, we live in South FL and they struggle keeping cool while we do not, they have 100 gallons of diesel in lieu of 150, the full wall slide is not as deep so the interior is a little smaller but still acceptable, they have a smaller generator ad I believe their holding tanks are also smaller (I cannot confirm that) but overall, they are happy with the 40'er.

Both are real nice for sure but how their 2 ac's struggle on a hot day is bothersome.

Safe travels
Old 10-13-2021, 01:22 PM   #14

We picked up our 2020 4081 DS this last January. I have 12k miles on it so far. It is our first Pusher and I love the way it drives and how smooth and quite it is. Selected a Newmar because of the reputation and quality. For the most part we have not been disappointed in the unit at all. We really like the floor plan with the bath and half. I am a big guy so really like the back or master bath. The tag axel does make a difference driving around town and in camp grounds. The main thing I don't like and knew it when I purchased it was the sofa bed couch is the pits. We were planning on trading it out for a couple of recliners or theater seating when all the COVID thing kicked in and RV furniture became short supply. I plan to order something this fall. We have not really had an issue with the AC, however I will run them as we go down the road with the generator on to keep things cool. We are on the Spartan frame, I have had no others so can’t say better or worst then Freightliner. The one thing I don’t like about the Spartan frame is there are not as many people to work on them, but I am getting that under control as I gain more time and experience. AS for the engine, we have no issue pulling our GMC Arcadia up over the mountains. We are not speed demons so as long as we are up in the 55 to 60mph I am happy. The one other thing I can say, is I am not sure I would get the collision medication system again. It is kind of cool and helpful, but it is also a royal PIA at times. Do your homework on that if you are thinking of getting it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
lrwinddancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, view