Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2022, 11:20 AM   #1

2021 Dutch Star Girard Nova awnings: uneven closing upon retraction

I own a 2021 Dutch Star with the optional Girard Nova awnings and awning package option. I believe the main passenger side are Nova II awnings

Starting yesterday, both front and rear Novas leave their fronts sticking out an inch, maybe 2, upon retraction. Theer doesn't appear to be a noise, or at least new niose, when they stop closing. The backs on both awnings do appear to close all the way.

I'm not sure what happened or how to fix. Trying the travel adjustment screws for more closing but not sure that will help. Any thoughts on what else to try?
dmp1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2022, 12:53 PM   #2

When you bought the coach, there was a long black plastic Allen wrench. This is used to adjust the limits on the awnings. You can go to the center of the 2 awnings and you will see the motor. Use the Allen wrench on the in arrow and make a quarter turn at a time and test. Turn toward the +.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:47 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
extend you awning to full extension, get a ladder and check the top of the awning for debris being rolled up on the tight end of the awning. The problem with these awning is they roll up whatever falls on top of the awning causing issues like this and torn fabric.
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:31 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The adjustment for the awning is on the front of the rear awning and the rear of the front awning. This way, you can adjust both where they meet in the middle. Extend the awning out about two feet. The UPPER of the two allen adjusters is for bringing the awning in tighter. As stated above, a 1/4 turn clockwise toward the (+) mark will bring the awning in tighter. You never want to turn the adjuster so far that you can hear the motor running when the awning is closed and tight.

Here is what the tool looks like, it should have been in your black suitcase.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220626_132502.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	369392
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:26 PM   #5

Thanks everyone.

We already tried the black tool and travel adjustments. FWIW, the IN (or closing) travel is the white, or grey, hex socket. The red one is the OUT. They are not labeled in and out as implied by everything you might read - maybe the older models used to? At least on our 21 DSDP that is. They do have + and - labels on each socket. So at least you know which direction to turn things. The + is always extra motion in the direction the awning is going at that end of travel.

Also, we found it easier to use a standard 4mm Allen wrench instead of the black tool. YMMV.

As expected, the travel adjustment doesn't appear to have fixed things. Took pains to ensure motors didn't run once awnings closed or opened.

Will have to try the above suggestion to look for debris when things are fully opened. Still open to other possible causes too.

Hopefully it isn't that our front rail needs adjustment. That sounds a bit more complex to adjust. And our only ladder requires something to lean against, so it can't be used to get at the front of the awnings once they're open.

EDIT: Fixed socket colors. Originally had them reversed. See picture on page 21 of 43 for the Nova II manual.
dmp1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:24 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I have the exact same malady with mine. In and out limit controls are not the answer. I had Newmar adjust the awnings in May while having warranty work done. My rear awning is now fine. The forward one is as before. I’m just going to live with it until I can get to Red Bay AL next winter and have the Girard operation there take care of it. These awnings are somewhat complicated and finicky to adjust.

For the OP, I’d recommend a call to Girard to discuss with them. They are good people and customer friendly.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:25 AM   #7

If anyone finds a good answer for this issue please post back.
DutchStarJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:08 AM   #8

As I understand it the limit switch only operates the rear or motor side of the awning. In my case the front or leading edge is not completely closing. This side is only controlled by the tension of the fabric which as I understand it means the awning needs to have the slack taken back on the spool.
wiredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp1991 View Post
Thanks everyone.

We already tried the black tool and travel adjustments. FWIW, the IN (or closing) travel is the white, or grey, hex socket. The red one is the OUT. They are not labeled in and out as implied by everything you might read - maybe the older models used to? At least on our 21 DSDP that is. They do have + and - labels on each socket. So at least you know which direction to turn things. The + is always extra motion in the direction the awning is going at that end of travel.

Also, we found it easier to use a standard 4mm Allen wrench instead of the black tool. YMMV.

As expected, the travel adjustment doesn't appear to have fixed things. Took pains to ensure motors didn't run once awnings closed or opened.

Will have to try the above suggestion to look for debris when things are fully opened. Still open to other possible causes too.

Hopefully it isn't that our front rail needs adjustment. That sounds a bit more complex to adjust. And our only ladder requires something to lean against, so it can't be used to get at the front of the awnings once they're open.

EDIT: Fixed socket colors. Originally had them reversed. See picture on page 21 of 43 for the Nova II manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredog View Post
As I understand it the limit switch only operates the rear or motor side of the awning. In my case the front or leading edge is not completely closing. This side is only controlled by the tension of the fabric which as I understand it means the awning needs to have the slack taken back on the spool.
Wiredog is correct. I had the same issue but was able to correct with the adjustment screws. it just depends which end of the awning is off. Also, the +/- depends on which side of the awning the motor is mounted. Mine are reversed between the 2 awnings.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:01 AM   #10

I've made many adjustments to my awning and looking for debris that may have been on the top of the awning when it was rolled up is the first thing to check like mrfix said.
The second thing that causes your problem is that the awning fabric just simply stretches over the first year or two. Unfortinuayely, it sounds like one end of the fabric has stretched more than the other leaving one end to hang out slightly.
I would push in on the end of the awning that's nearest the coach to see how much more it can be pushed in. If it has 1/2" slack, then I would adjust the retract screw to retract the whole awning about 3/4" to 1". The roller can tighten the roller fabric on the short end of the roller slightly with no problem. Also push in on the end of the awning that hangs out to be sure it will easily retract into the cassette without obstruction before you tighten the retract screw.
If one end is still hanging out, you can totally extend the awning and put thick tape strips down the roller 3 or 4 feet, and on the fabric that will make that end of the roller thicker and take up more fabric when you retract the awning. Put a couple strips on then retract to see how much difference it made and add or adjust accordingly as needed.
Adding tape strips is also used on windshield awnings to adjust them if they don't roll up straight.
The perfect answer is to remove the fabric, trim a strip off that's 1 or 2" wider on the hang out end then sew the bead back on and reinstall. A bit expensive though, and it may still stretch some more. Also don't just keep turning the retract screw up until the hang out end is fully retracted, it may over tighten the other end and cause problems you don't want to deal with.

Tags
awning, awnings, dutch star