RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2020, 05:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
For me, I think the single biggest thing they can do to truly separate the King Aire from the others is have more of a dedicated assembly line for them. I have always been amazed that you can have a 125k unit (BSS) right next to a 1.25M unit (KA) on the line being essentially assembled in the same way by the same people. If you have ever been to the tour you see that the line keeps moving at a pretty good clip. Iíve never understood how they can give the higher end coaches the time they need.

Until then the quality and reliability wonít change.

I suggested back in the day that they combine the Mountain and London products and the Essexís and Kingís to simplify the product line. Kingís should have a Traditional and Contemporary option for furniture and cabinets to satisfy the Essex crowd. Then they should be built on a different assembly line with the New Aire. It would cost quite a bit to setup but their techs could become much more efficient at installing the same on all the ďHigh LineĒ models. Just my 2 Cents.

Avspaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2020, 08:10 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Donít know how many folks know this but Winnebago also owns Chris Craft Boats. I think one of the best things Newmar can do is to send management, quality and production leads to Chris Craft to see what and how they do things. A major difference in the quality of their product.

Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:59 PM   #17

I have finally seen the price of a 2021 king Aire. Seriously? $1,333,000 for a production coach? That's like a 30% increase over the 2020. I can buy a 2021 Foretravel Realm where the MSRP is $50-80k less. Does Newmar honestly think they're gonna compete in that market?
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
I have finally seen the price of a 2021 king Aire. Seriously? $1,333,000 for a production coach? That's like a 30% increase over the 2020. I can buy a 2021 Foretravel Realm where the MSRP is $50-80k less. Does Newmar honestly think they're gonna compete in that market?
I guess they do but they can’t convince me! There is no comparison between the quality of the two. The only issue with the Realm is that you can do very little customization.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:22 PM   #19

Absolutely beautiful coach...no way would you compare it with a foretravel...itís now more along the lines of a Newell comparison,assuming the quality is there.....speaking of foretravel,kind of reminds me of a Volvo automobile.....fabulous quality but the stodgy design is a complete non starter for me and certainly my bride!!if one cares only about quality,itís hard to beat a used prevost for similar money.....this king air with the full wall slide,drop dead gorgeous lines,top notch furnishings,appliances etc.appears to be a major coup within the newmar line......hopefully itís not over a million bucks in real money as you start competing with a 2-3 year old Newell or a 3-5 year old marathon or liberty prevost conversion....lots of nice coaches in that price range.....joe b(thrilled with my 2019 king aire)
Old 04-14-2020, 05:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
For me, I think the single biggest thing they can do to truly separate the King Aire from the others is have more of a dedicated assembly line for them. I have always been amazed that you can have a 125k unit (BSS) right next to a 1.25M unit (KA) on the line being essentially assembled in the same way by the same people. If you have ever been to the tour you see that the line keeps moving at a pretty good clip. Iíve never understood how they can give the higher end coaches the time they need.
Agreed. It will still just be viewed as the most expensive Newmar. For $1.2M it needs to be a custom coach built by the best people you have that are totally dedicated to quality. Not piece rate workers on an assembly line.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:32 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Base price revealed at $1.33 million!
How do they justify that price?

I am a NEWMAR fan, but that is ridiculous!

Newell price range, but not a Newell coach! Sorry Newmar!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:29 AM   #22

In the price range of $1.3M, you could certainly look into a 4-6 yr.. old Prevost depending on the converter (Liberty, Marathon, Millennium, Featherlite).

I bet a new Emerald converted Prevost coach could be had for $1.3M that probably would list for $1.6-$1.7M. They are nice and certainly nicely appointed with more low-key amenities. And, Prevost coaches have real front and rear bumpers.

One thing that I want to emphasize, is the service that Prevost offers for the chassis. The service centers are very well stocked and have parts and/or can get parts for 20+ yr. old coaches.

Anything to do with the chassis (windshields, windows, engine/transmission, alignments, shocks, wiper-blades, suspension parts, etc.) are done in one location. The advantage that we receive is that the majority of Prevost buses are sold to the transportation bus market and to them, time is money! Prevost service center's goal is to get that coach back into service ASAP.

Prevost has a 'hotline' called PASS (Prevost Action Service System).... they will get you connected to the right people while on the road.

Bus shell owners (Prevost) get the benefit of that service. Any 'house' items have to go back to the converter. Prevost offers mobile service if you are stranded on the road and they have amazing shop hours.

These are the hours at the shop in Goodlettsville, TN, that I go to:
Address: 800 S Cartwright St, Goodlettsville, TN 37072
Hours:
Monday 7AM-1AM
Tuesday 7AM–1AM
Wednesda 7AM–1AM
Thursday 7AM–1AM
Friday 7AM–5PM
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed

Before I would consider a 'house-on-chassis' motorhome, I would look at a Prevost in my price range to see what is offered.

Safe travels!
Mark
Old 04-14-2020, 10:22 PM   #23

Observations from the limited footage I've seen so far:

1) 30kWh is a substantial battery, best in class pretty much. That they would tie it down to a 12V implementation is a bit surprising.

2) Looks like they are probably using dual Xantrex 3012s in split phase, so 6kW output rated. These can charge at 150A each, so 3600W in a pair, so 6 hours of charging from the stated 30% SOC to full.

3) I know they're using a split-phase inverter config, because that Wolf cooktop is the only 240V, residential-grade, dual hob/narrow form factor, induction cooktop available in the world. I have that one in my rig. It works so much better than the weak 120V ones, and they don't even know to call it out in the interior tour. The sales teams are going to need to up their game with this very different product line.

4) The extra couple inches in the basement is a big win. Finally getting closer to Newell, and I suspect equaling or slightly better than Foretravel (but still a long way from Prevost H!).

5) The big bonded windows are super neat, especially insofar as they allow the interior valance width to shrink or disappear entirely. Even reclaiming a few lateral inches on each side is a big gain. I'm not sure if the tradeoff is going to work for a lot of people, though: we wouldn't accept a coach with zero vented windows. I'm also not sure how the blinds work in this design, but hopefully someone will show us soon in a better video.

6) Tile shower is great, but heavy. It will be interesting to see NCC on this new lineup.

7) Not a big fan of the everywhere strip lighting versus pucks, only because it's probably pretty much a lock in. The pucks have the advantage of their being lots of third-party LED lamp manufacturers. If lighting matters, I suspect you get less choice with these.

8) Quartz counters are tricky; it'll be interesting to see how many they get to replace in the first few years.

A very interesting strategy, however. Setting their sights on Foretravel, for sure! I don't think the converters or Newell have much overlap, though (in cost and certainly in build quality).
Old 04-16-2020, 07:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post
Observations from the limited footage I've seen so far:

1) 30kWh is a substantial battery, best in class pretty much. That they would tie it down to a 12V implementation is a bit surprising.

2) Looks like they are probably using dual Xantrex 3012s in split phase, so 6kW output rated. These can charge at 150A each, so 3600W in a pair, so 6 hours of charging from the stated 30% SOC to full.

3) I know they're using a split-phase inverter config, because that Wolf cooktop is the only 240V, residential-grade, dual hob/narrow form factor, induction cooktop available in the world. I have that one in my rig. It works so much better than the weak 120V ones, and they don't even know to call it out in the interior tour. The sales teams are going to need to up their game with this very different product line.

4) The extra couple inches in the basement is a big win. Finally getting closer to Newell, and I suspect equaling or slightly better than Foretravel (but still a long way from Prevost H!).

5) The big bonded windows are super neat, especially insofar as they allow the interior valance width to shrink or disappear entirely. Even reclaiming a few lateral inches on each side is a big gain. I'm not sure if the tradeoff is going to work for a lot of people, though: we wouldn't accept a coach with zero vented windows. I'm also not sure how the blinds work in this design, but hopefully someone will show us soon in a better video.

6) Tile shower is great, but heavy. It will be interesting to see NCC on this new lineup.

7) Not a big fan of the everywhere strip lighting versus pucks, only because it's probably pretty much a lock in. The pucks have the advantage of their being lots of third-party LED lamp manufacturers. If lighting matters, I suspect you get less choice with these.

8) Quartz counters are tricky; it'll be interesting to see how many they get to replace in the first few years.

A very interesting strategy, however. Setting their sights on Foretravel, for sure! I don't think the converters or Newell have much overlap, though (in cost and certainly in build quality).
1. I am not impressed by the batteries at all. As a salesman once told me, "People who buy these high priced units don't generally boondock " so how much will that matter? Maybe resell end. I'm not opposed to running the generator going down the road.
2. The extra 2 inches is interior height and not basement. I don't recall them saying anything about increased basement area but I may have missed that. The shelf is an option but I am sure it is cheaper to have one done yourself.

3. They didn't mention about the cooktop because they were only saying what was new to 2021. I have questions about the changing of the appliances to Vikingô. I noticed no water dispenser in the refrigerator door. Viking had serious quality issues 6-7 years back.

4. I do love the bigger windows because we opted not to have overhead cabinets in order to have bigger ones. However I am not thrilled about the ones over the bed. Tell me those blinds aren't going to rattle going down the road. I said the same thing about the Barn-style doors the first year and I was proven right.
My wife and I have been considering a new DP for a while and we were waiting for 2021 to come out to see what is new. I admit the new King Aire has a lot of pizazz but will most likely pass. I think we may go Essex instead.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #25

Quote:
1. I am not impressed by the batteries at all. As a salesman once told me, "People who buy these high priced units don't generally boondock " so how much will that matter? Maybe resell end. I'm not opposed to running the generator going down the road.
Good point, although those batteries also provide air cover when in a 30A or unreliable park. (Though they could have designed for whole-coach power, which is a missed opportunity.) I imagine there are*a few who still like to camp in state parks or older campgrounds.

Quote:
2. The extra 2 inches is interior height and not basement. I don't recall them saying anything about increased basement area but I may have missed that.
I may have misunderstood that, but he brought it up while showing us the basement towards the beginning. He also mentioned 2 inches inside the slide later, so I took it to mean 4 inches net. Maybe not.

Quote:
4. I do love the bigger windows because we opted not to have overhead cabinets in order to have bigger ones.
It's certainly possible to have big ones without giving up the vents... but it seems like that's out of the picture with this approach.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:37 AM   #26

Were they able to figure out how to put a ceiling fan in the bedroom yet?
Old 04-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
I saw the Newmar walk through video on the 2021 king Aire and all I can say is WOW! Talk about a complete lifestyle change. There are many changes that will only be available on the King Aire including.lithium batteries. Video is available at . I am just wondering how much the price will jump. If it is too much, I would consider a Foretravel Realm instead.

Wait 2-3 years and buy a used King Aire, it will be 40% of MSRP and provide as much fun!
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:21 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Nickels View Post
Wait 2-3 years and buy a used King Aire, it will be 40% of MSRP and provide as much fun!
Where can I buy a 2 year old King Aire for 40% of MSRP?

Tags
air