Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2020, 07:52 AM   #43

I can't imagine a RV of any price not having windows that do not open, crazy.

We have four windows (plus the drivers toll window) that open. The living area has two and the bedroom has two. They are electric awning style and are also the emergency exit windows.

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2020, 11:02 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehochuli85 View Post
I hope this is not "off-thread", but I'm really concerned about the 2021 windows that don't open on the Essex and King Aire. I have a 2018 LA and was planning on a 2021 or 22 Essex or KA . . . until I learned about the non-opening windows. We open the windows on our LA all the time, and I can't imagine not being able to open the windows.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of windows that don't open? Why did Newmar go to these windows.

And finally, can the 2021s be special ordered with windows that open?
Newmar actually went to the non-opening windows a couple years back, and I liked them so much I retrofitted the living room windows on my 2016. The difference in view is unbelievable, they look better, plus they are much quieter when driving.

I know in the other lines you can definitely still order opening windows, though not sure that is true on the King Aire with the new bonded windows (I doubt it). Keep in mind you still have plenty of openings, as the windows at the end of the slide still open, ceiling vents, screen door etc.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:12 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
We ran into a forum member in WY the other day. He's a sharp guy and is a long-time Newmar owner of various models. He shared that Newmar told him new, experimental ideas are used on King Aires. I believe that to more true than not! We love our Newmar Dutch Star, but there's no way I could dream of buying a $1.3M motorhome that comes off the same production line as a Kountry Star! Imagine the first few weeks you have to go back with a mile long list of problems. That is also probably more true than not!
Old 09-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #46

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehochuli85 View Post
I hope this is not "off-thread", but I'm really concerned about the 2021 windows that don't open on the Essex and King Aire. I have a 2018 LA and was planning on a 2021 or 22 Essex or KA . . . until I learned about the non-opening windows. We open the windows on our LA all the time, and I can't imagine not being able to open the windows.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of windows that don't open? Why did Newmar go to these windows.

And finally, can the 2021s be special ordered with windows that open?
When Newmar went with the non-opening windows, their sales pitch was, they gave the coach a slicker "bus-like" look, they allow a lot more light into the RV, and one solid sealed piece lowers risk of leaks. I'd add they are less likely to fall out going down the road. The pros are better visibility looking out and sealed better to keep heat and cold out. The biggest con is the lack of allowing fresh air flow.
One the 2021 King Airre, you can option a kitchen widow that I believe opens plus the bedroom has windows that open and the passenger side has one next to the door. I do love the new screen door on the King Aire. Not sure about the Essex.
FYI, on many new Newmar floor plans for 2021, they have eliminated the emergency window because the egress door allows exit in an emergency.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:56 PM   #47

Thank you all! Very helpful. I'm glad to hear that some windows open, and if I can special order the kitchen window to open, that would be huge.

More on the King Aire - it's clear that Newmar is trying to set it apart from the MA, LA, and Essex, and perhaps trying to compete with Newell and Foretravel. Frankly, I don't think it looks "full-time liveable" anymore. It looks like they've eliminated several of the interior cabinets to give it a more expensive look. We travel full time living in our coach, and it looks like the King Aire is not designed for that. Any thoughts from those who have seen one or bought one? I wonder if an Essex with all possible options will suit full-time living better than the fancy King Aire. Price aside - thoughts?

Thank you!!
Ehochuli85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:04 PM   #48

Ed, some people live full time in a class B. So, it's all a matter of perspective. You can live full-time in anything if it fits your needs.

Personally, I wouldn't live full-time in the coach but going out every other month or so makes it exciting. I always look forward to getting out after its been parked for a little while.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:10 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertboyz View Post
We ran into a forum member in WY the other day. He's a sharp guy and is a long-time Newmar owner of various models. He shared that Newmar told him new, experimental ideas are used on King Aires. I believe that to more true than not! We love our Newmar Dutch Star, but there's no way I could dream of buying a $1.3M motorhome that comes off the same production line as a Kountry Star! Imagine the first few weeks you have to go back with a mile long list of problems. That is also probably more true than not!

I’m not sure you watched the whole video. Ken Williamson states that they take it for an extra test drive, just to make sure everything is perfect when it gets to the dealer! That seems like a pretty good deal for an extra $350K!
Avspaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:05 AM   #50

So things like this it’s ok on a $500k coach because it’s “cheap” but a not ok on a $1.2m coach? I personally think if the person can do it a good job on a less expensive coach you would carry the same QA to any coach, but if the electrician that just finished the Dutch Star is the same that’s going to work on the KIng Aire what do you thing it’s going to happen? Or do do you think it’s “ oh this a KA this wires have to be nice and neat” LOL I don’t think so, the total line up of 2021 lineup are beautiful coaches and I don’t dislike my any less because of the wiring mess but If they would only do one less coach a week........ still hope just don’t look behind closed doors

Click image for larger version

Name:	2BF18877-33EE-4D99-9712-EAD0EF6C2289.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	301407

Zzotte
Old 03-22-2021, 12:19 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzotte View Post
...re: .... still hope just don’t look behind closed doors

Attachment 301407

Zzotte
Hey Z & all
I recently went out to a little town on our coast, Yachats, to assist Newmar in installing an update. It was a 2021 King. After working with these folks for some years--with my nose in many for the MADP, LADP Essex, New Aire and King (to include the ePlex versions) I've seen a lot of their wiring.

This unit was not done in a way I immediately recognized. The harnesses were more focused on weather-pac type connections, not butt splices. It used much the same split-loom (convoluted tubing) with nearly every termination or split also giving a break-out for data and DC. Having those available at so many points is a luxury we never get as techs.

The only gaps I saw in finish were a couple breakouts where the harnesses pinned out to individual modules or boards. It was clearly the first group that these folks had laid out service loops and tie-down points in this way. I was impressed with their work and investment into the more pricey connections and thought for layout. It was clear enough they were still finding their rhythm on a couple places.

From a techs' perspective: I liked it.

Art
Silverleaf Electronics
honico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:15 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
I think the wiring and plumbing mess in these rigs is a disgrace, especially considering the price. On top of it they simply screw down an unfinished block of wood to keep the holding tank from wandering around. These are not 25k entry level travel trailers we are talking about. The builders should be ashamed but they keep pushing them out the back door and folks keeping buying them. I strongly suggest to all that are considering the high end of the Newmar line to go look at a Foretravel for the same or indeed less money to see what a much higher level of quality looks like. Newmar is not even close.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:57 PM   #53

I think my LA is probably the highest I would go for a production coach. I'm pleased with it so far, but if I end up really getting into this and upgrade (which I might)... I would definitely go with Foretravel or Newell. Probably Foretravel.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:49 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
I think the wiring and plumbing mess in these rigs is a disgrace, especially considering the price. On top of it they simply screw down an unfinished block of wood to keep the holding tank from wandering around. These are not 25k entry level travel trailers we are talking about. The builders should be ashamed but they keep pushing them out the back door and folks keeping buying them. I strongly suggest to all that are considering the high end of the Newmar line to go look at a Foretravel for the same or indeed less money to see what a much higher level of quality looks like. Newmar is not even close.

And spend all that money to constantly wonder/worry if an unseen water leak is rotting out your particleboard wetbay floor.... or wheel spray from the drives is doing the same whenever it rains.

We're in our first coach/newmar and its a much older dutchstar so I expected to have issues just from age alone, but to hear the same issues exist with the new ones at such a high entry price makes me wonder what we'll replace this one with.
John_Penzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:18 AM   #55

I have no financial interest but came across this video and thought I’d share. It is an example of what someone in the market for a nice newer class A might want to consider as an alternative. This Prevost conversion was built by Royale, a division of Monaco. If more people were aware of what was available at this price point in the secondary Prevost market, there would be a lot fewer new high end class A’s sold. My bus is so awesome. It’s like driving a 52k pound Lexus. https://youtu.be/wElp8lkgiIE
PorscheLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #56

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheLover View Post
I have no financial interest but came across this video and thought I’d share. It is an example of what someone in the market for a nice newer class A might want to consider as an alternative. This Prevost conversion was built by Royale, a division of Monaco. If more people were aware of what was available at this price point in the secondary Prevost market, there would be a lot fewer new high end class A’s sold. My bus is so awesome. It’s like driving a 52k pound Lexus. https://youtu.be/wElp8lkgiIE
We are well aware of what is available in the secondary market but I have yet to see a used Prevost that I liked. To order a new one like I would want is 2x the price. I believe my last estimate for one was 2.5 million and btw, they only have a 500hp Volvo engine. However, we are seriously looking at a Foretravel Realm Presidential. IMHO, Bang for the bucks it beats the King Aire.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air