RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #1

2021 Kountry Star Slide Topper?

I am considering a 2021 Kountry Star. I am very impressed by the improved carrying capacity, and towing capacity of the Kountry Star line. Those capacities aren no longer limited as they were in the Ventana LE line, but rather the same (or even better on some floor plans) as the Ventana itself. Of course a main difference between Kountry Star and Ventana are the awnings. I can get going from the built in for the Ventana to the standard wall mounted rail system for the Kountry Star. That said, I think not having a slide topper on a main slide (see the KS DP 3709) is not good. The assumption I assume is that one will use the main awning to cover the slide. That means though that I have to deploy the main awning at least as far as the slide to protect it, especially if it rains. But if rains, the wind will blow and I would rather have a more secure slide topper. Anyone who faces this? Thoughts? We sold our 2015 Bay Star Sport 3309 and have been looking at a 2021 Bay Star 3626, but am now thinking of taking it the step further to the Kountry Star. While very nice, the Bay Stars have very limited towing and moderate cargo carrying capacity. The Bay Star 3626 actually shows 4K towing capacity GVWR vs GCWR. To get more, one would have to give up cargo carrying capacity. Thus our pursuit now of a Kountry Star.
aeroquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 06:25 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My first thought: slide toppers aren’t that expensive or difficult to install. But also I found that on very windy days I had to pull the slides in to protect the toppers from the high winds. And I’m sure the slides on the KS drain properly and are well sealed. So with all that in mind I wouldn't let that alone stop you. And I definitely agree KS over Bay Star. My Bay Star was a wonderful coach and about as nice as I could ask for a gasser, but the Ventana ride is significantly better, and that alone is enough to make that decision.

Since the KS comes with alum wheels and the 360/800 ISB the only difference between that and the Ventana chassis I can see is the tire size/rating and alternator output, both of which can be upgraded. Wheels are the same size. So the KS chassis is much closer to Ventana than was that of the Ventana LE.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:18 PM   #3

Thank you for that information. It prompted me to go to the Freightliner website and download the spec sheets for both coaches. I see the differences you quote. 305/70R 22.5 on the Ventana vs 275/70R 22.5 on the Kountry Star. That is 10% wider and 4% taller. I also see the 160 amp vs 240 amp alternator difference. There are some slight weight rating differences on the (500 lbs).
Old 09-20-2020, 08:40 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroquality View Post
Thank you for that information. It prompted me to go to the Freightliner website and download the spec sheets for both coaches. I see the differences you quote. 305/70R 22.5 on the Ventana vs 275/70R 22.5 on the Kountry Star. That is 10% wider and 4% taller. I also see the 160 amp vs 240 amp alternator difference. There are some slight weight rating differences on the (500 lbs).
I seem to go there daily, sometimes several times. Also the brochure archives. The weight rating difference is probably just the tires since all else appears equal. 18 ply rated on the KS, 20 on Ventana.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:00 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 15 yr old KS and it does not have a slide topper on that slide either. It’s never been an issue. Slide toppers are not designed to keep rain out.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:12 AM   #6

Iíve noted the lack of a topper on that slide as well. If I had to guess, there isnít enough room to mount the topper to the slide as the main awning is occupying the space.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:08 PM   #7

Thank you for the input. I thought slide toppers were for rain, but perhaps it is more for debris, leaves and such?
Old 09-22-2020, 10:13 PM   #8

The toppers do a good job of keeping the rain off the slide roof and I think one of the benefits of having them.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:01 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
They will help with the rain but it still can blow underneath the topper. That is one reason you want the coach slight lower on front or back to help with drainage. A recent post had a problem with water draining in the coach when they pulled the slide in after a recent rain and it was because the coach was dead level.
Best benefit is keeping debris off. A small stick or acorn falling from a tree could damage the seals when the slide comes in
Old 09-24-2020, 04:23 AM   #10

Thank you. I have noticed a number of new coaches that have slides under the main awning and as such do not have slide toppers. Likely as suggested due to the limited space. Frankly I liked the slide toppers on my previous Bay Star Sport - gave confidence of keeping the water off as well as debris.

Tags
slide