Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2022, 08:07 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2021 Ventana 4369 leveling problems

I am leveling on a concrete site. RV does level, but is way off the ground. Bottom step is ~16" off ground. Next step up is 8" above bottom step. Had to buy a supplemental step to be safe. Prior Tiffin and Holiday Ramblers dropped and leveled much lower to ground and did not need supplemental step. But I have seen some newer Ventana's high off the ground at our campground and using a supplemental step.

Brought RV to dealer 3 times to fix. Last time the dealer said they had talked with Newmar and I was basically told it is what it is.

I have pretty much given up on this dealership to fix this issue.

Prior RV's had a dump button to manually dump bags in addition to auto level button. Newmar system does not have manual button to dump bags. Bags are dumped when the auto switch is pressed. Jacks also start lowering at the same time. Coach must be running too.

Leveling system (Equalizer Systems) documentation indicates key should be off when activating leveling system. Newmar documentation indicates key should be on. After talking with Newmar this is required to get voltage up.

I was able to play with the auto button and manual jack retractions to manually lower coach some when leveling. But now my rear bags do not deflate (front bags do) after last dealership repair attempt.

Does anyone have advice for me to get this coach leveled lower and get my rear bags deflating?

thanks for any advice.
BeachedTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2022, 09:55 AM   #2

When you use the jacks, do you hear the suspension dumping? That’s the only signal that tells the system to dump. Can you post a picture Of how the coach looks before the jacks touch the ground?
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:16 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That sucks. Our last coach had this issue. It seemed to really overthink the whole leveling process and inch upward and upward and upward even when it could have leveled much lower to the ground. We started manually leveling it and were able to get it level closer to the ground so the step wasn't up in the air. Without the ability to manually dump the bags and level manually, I don't see how you can fix it.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:17 AM   #4

How level is the site to start with?

I've had my front tires off one time and that was because the site was way out of level to start with. I moved to fix this and all was good.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:43 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Beached Tiger,
There is a way to dump the air with the Equalizer system. I didn’t come up with this method but another member of this forum did back in 2017 or 2018. If you do a search for Equalizer on this forum, the original thread may still come up.

This procedure works on our 2017 Ventana LE:
- Turn key to “Accessory “ position
- Press Power button on leveling system
- Press “Auto Level”
- As soon as the system begins to operate, Press the “Auto Level” again. (This stops the jacks from extending but allows the air to continue to dump.)
- When air noise stops, press “All Retract”
- Once the jacks are back in the fully retracted position, Press “Auto Level” to start a new cycle to level the coach.

The only drawbacks to doing this is the front wheels need to be in the straight forward position and when you want to leave the campsite you need to start the engine and let the air system get fully pressurized before hitting the “All Retract button.

Hope this works for you. —— Jim
(BTW, we live in the same neck of the woods as you can probably tell from my username.)
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:01 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post
This procedure works on our 2017 Ventana LE:
- Turn key to “Accessory “ position
- Press Power button on leveling system
- Press “Auto Level”
- As soon as the system begins to operate, Press the “Auto Level” again. (This stops the jacks from extending but allows the air to continue to dump.)
- When air noise stops, press “All Retract”
- Once the jacks are back in the fully retracted position, Press “Auto Level” to start a new cycle to level the coach.

Agree this is the procedure we use on our Ventana and other we know also follow this for the lowest possible coach height.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:52 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachedTiger View Post
Leveling system (Equalizer Systems) documentation indicates key should be off when activating leveling system. Newmar documentation indicates key should be on. After talking with Newmar this is required to get voltage up.
I have some concern with what you're saying here.....When you say key should be ON to keep the voltage up, are you talking about the engine running, as that's the only way to increase voltage. If so, this probably part of your issue.

Newmar has recommended running the engine for the SLIDES, not the jacks. You can't be trying to lower jacks and run the engine at the same time as you're adding air back to the bags.

The engine should be OFF and the ignition to ACC or the first click before starting Auto Level. As stated, make sure the Auto Level is dumping air before the jacks start to deploy.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:56 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Dutch Star Don, my engine must be running for the Equalizer System to be activated to level. Key in On or ACC position does not activate system. I talked with Newmar and Equalizing System reps and they both said that the engine was running to keep up the voltage and required for system to function. Equalizer Systems rep told me for my Newmar RV engine should be on. I raised the concern that if the engine is on the coach will start airing up. He gave me some advice to overcome this....to not use the all retract button (which apparently activates the air up valve), but to manually bring up jacks fully and then hit the auto button again.

When I hit the Auto button, air is dumped from system and the jacks start extending at the same time. Front gets low, back does not appear to go down.

Geaux Tigers, I will try your recommendation when I am next at my RV.

I will be bringing it to Freightliner for 1 year service shortly & will get them to check it. Will also get into a Newmar dealership before warranty is expired. Will try to find a different dealership since current dealership has had 3 shots to resolve this with no success.

PS....thanks for all the help and advice.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:10 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis
A trick I have done was to manually lower the coach as low as I could prior to hitting the auto leveling system. When on a sloping pad, I often manually lower the jacks on the low side to lift it to near level before hitting the auto level. This helps keep the whole coach a little lower. I don't see a 8" bottom step as that bad. 8 inch use to be the standard rise for steps, (8" rise 10" tread). The IBC since has changed it to 7 " rise 11" step, but that still is only 1 inch higher than a standard staircase. OSHA regulations allow for a 9.5 inch maximum rise.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:50 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry for any confusion. The 16" is from bottom step to ground. 8" is the next step up on RV steps.

For my leveling system, all jacks must be fully retracted to enable the auto level function. Auto function cannot be enabled if jacks are extended any.

I go back and forth between auto and manual jack retractions 2-3 times to get air out. I will then manually extend rear jacks to touch ground (for stability) and then manually adjust the front to get to level. Best process I have found so far. Usually end with bottom step at ~16" off ground....way too high. If I go full auto it is worse.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2022, 08:09 AM   #11
Community Moderator

No biggie to have first step high…..get one of these folding steps. We put this out very frequently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9939.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	643.8 KB
ID:	366618
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachedTiger View Post
Sorry for any confusion. The 16" is from bottom step to ground. 8" is the next step up on RV steps.

For my leveling system, all jacks must be fully retracted to enable the auto level function. Auto function cannot be enabled if jacks are extended any.

I go back and forth between auto and manual jack retractions 2-3 times to get air out. I will then manually extend rear jacks to touch ground (for stability) and then manually adjust the front to get to level. Best process I have found so far. Usually end with bottom step at ~16" off ground....way too high. If I go full auto it is worse.
Is the coach sitting higher than ride height when leveled? Have you tried what Geaux Tigers said? That is what I do as well.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:51 PM   #13

The 21's could be different, but our 2020 Ventana does not have to have the engine running to level. We park in our site, I do all my hookups, then put slides out. Then with the key in accessory and dash AC off, I do like is mentioned above, I hit auto level, then either auto level or all retract, and wait for all the air to dump. I do this on my phone outside the coach. Then I manually level. I have never liked auto level, as it only knows up, and manually leveling is always lower. I agree with others that with auto level, the leveling process starts pretty quick and before all air is dumped. We actually timed it and I can manually level faster than auto, and it's much lower.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:40 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to all for your advice and experiences.

Recently talked with Newmar and Equalizer System techs on phone at same time. They said 2021-22 Ventana must have engine running for Equalizer System to work.

Also pulled in Freightliner Tech on same phone call and they all think I may be having an issue with my rear air dump valve. I will be bringing to Freightliner to get checked.

Very disappointed my RV service center (where I bought RV) did not find this out. I took my RV there 3 times to fix the leveling issue with no improvement. My last service report said they could not stop the rear from rising and that I needed to manually level it. Said nothing about potential Freightliner rear dump valve issue.

Tags
ems, leveling, problem, problems, vent, ventana