Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2022, 08:14 PM   #1

2022 Dutch Star Freightliner Belt Problem

After getting home from picking up our 2022 DSDP 3736 (2,812 miles), I noticed a loud "chirping" noise coming from the engine compartment, much louder when cold. I took it to Sacramento Truck Center where they replaced the fan drive belt, and the noise went away. At 4,548 miles the chirping was back and I took it in again. This time they replaced the idler pully, checked alignment and installed a new belt. Now at 7,500 miles the chirp is back and I took it back in. Service Center says they contacted Freightliner, and they are trying to figure out how to fix it, but at this time it is okay to drive it and there should be no failure.

So, after 3 visits no fix. The noise is loud enough that you can hear it in the drivers seat at idle with the door open.

Anyone else have a similar problem? Fix?
Frank94062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2022, 08:51 PM   #2

2022 Dutch Star Freightliner Belt Problem

If you can easily and safely access the belt with it running (side radiator) I would first try spraying a mixture of slightly soapy water on it while it’s running. (AC off) This may clean it enough to quiet it down for a while. There are also many brands of belt dressings out there.
Until Freightliner comes up with a fix, I would definitely carry a new spare or the old belt with me, and be familiar with how to change it. There has to be either an alignment or tension issue causing this.

https://truckile.com/what-can-i-use-...belt-dressing/
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:07 AM   #3

We have had a couple of coaches with residue on the fan shaft from installation and they had to clean that area to eliminate the noise. That is a freightliner issue and can only performed by them. I would contact you local freightliner dealer for service.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:37 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I have noticed the same chirping noise and was wondering about this also.
Old 10-08-2022, 05:36 PM   #5

I had same issue with my 21DS. I lost the belt at 4000 miles. Got into FL and they replaced the tensioner pulley and belt. It is starting to chirp again when cold but now have 20,000 miles on the rig. I carry an extra belt now and will wait until a failure before I take back to FL. Last time I was at FL they charged me over $800 for diagnosis on issues they said were normal or they could not duplicate. I have fixed a couple of the issues for less than the diagnosis time they charged me-horrible customer service. Rig almost must be towed in there before they will honor their warranty.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 05:29 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Called Freightliner (Gaffney) about this chirp. The said they had never heard of it..... (surprise). Asked about drivability - the rep said as long as it is not overheating - I'd be fine. Local Freightliner dealer has a first come first serve evaluation service. Going to run over there tomorrow early and get in line. Se what they say.

Have a trip scheduled that drives by Gaffney in a couple of weeks, planning on stopping to see if someone can look at it also.

Not a bad idea to carry a spare belt. What kind of an ordeal is it to change the belt?
Old 10-09-2022, 09:06 AM   #7

Super easy to change the fan belt. Just use a 1/2” breaker bar to relieve tension on the tensioner pulley. Take a picture now so you know the routing for future reference. Literally takes 2-3 minutes to install new belt.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:23 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
When I had the belt chirping problem, bought a new belt, and while bending the old belt to inspect between the rib's, I felt some thing sharp, further bending and looking discovered the belt had wire in it like car tire's and the wire on the pully's is what was making the noise.......

Old 10-11-2022, 05:20 PM   #9

Following -

Have the same noise and progressively getting worse/louder. Hard to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from but seems to be loudest around the fan driveshaft. Appt next week with Freightliner.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:39 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2022 DS 4081
I have the same exact problem. Found that squirting WD40 on the running belt after my morning startup on travel days fixes the noise immediately...and it does not come back the rest of the day. I also tried belt dressing but only "kinda" works...noise does not always abate like it does with the WD40. This problem start on current trip about 30 days and 2000 miles ago. Plan on taking to FL in Austin once we return next week.
Tom
tfclarinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:09 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I found a splash of gin and tonic quiets my 21 DS fan drive belt for a while its been to freightliner 3 times last time they charged me $300 to install my supplied spare belt because they didn't have one at the dealership because they said I installed it wrong which was not the case. I made freighliner give me my money back which they did send me a check its now squealing again a few hundred miles later. need to take it back. My mountain are with the same setup never made noise there obviously is some kind of slight alignment issue seems to me if you look closely at the belt when running it rides closer to one side.
FOLEYMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 05:54 PM   #12

Belt Problem Fixed

Update: the squeaky belt has been fixed after the 4th visit to the shop. According to the service center, it turns out this is a known Freightliner issue and if not fixed can lead to premature belt failure. The mounting surface needs to be "cleaned up" so that the pully bracket will line up and the idler pully and new belt installed at the same time. My work order with the information is with the coach, when I get a chance I'll post what was written about the fix.
Frank94062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank94062 View Post
Update: the squeaky belt has been fixed after the 4th visit to the shop. According to the service center, it turns out this is a known Freightliner issue and if not fixed can lead to premature belt failure. The mounting surface needs to be "cleaned up" so that the pully bracket will line up and the idler pully and new belt installed at the same time. My work order with the information is with the coach, when I get a chance I'll post what was written about the fix.
Good to know
Glad it got fixed
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:24 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Mine was at Cummins a couple of weeks ago - they said it was the fan shaft and it was a Freightliner issue - Cummins and NIRV would not touch it.

Hoping to find time in the next week or so to get Transwest in Longmont CO to offer an opinion.

Tags
dutch star, freightliner, problem