Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #1

2022 Newmar Canyon Star

I have been researching the 2022 Newmar Canyon Star 3513 front engine diesel and I am hoping I can get some owner reviews/opinions from anyone who has a 2021 model, or possibly a 2022 model. I would be doing an order on this unit and I'm going over all the options offered by Newmar.

I would like to ask first, how do you like the front engine diesel? Most specifically while driving down the road at typical cruising speeds. I can appreciate the diesel engine noise is probably noticeable when taking off from a stop, or under load while climbing a mountain pass, but from what I understand the engine quiets down while cruising down the road and it's not overly intrusive.

I will no doubt have a lot of questions so I will start off with a few that are important to me in addition to the front engine diesel. If you are running solar, and have the upgraded Whirlpool refrigerator, which comes with 2 additional batteries for a total of 6 house batteries I believe, how many solar panels and what wattage are you using. Also, which solar outfit you are using would be good information as well.

I would be upgrading to the 2-15M Penguin heat pump air conditioners, Truma continuous hot water heater, and the rear auxiliary heater. I am considering other creature comforts like the central vacuum and the stacked washer and dryer.

I am also curious, as everyone is when special ordering a build to suit RV, what has been the discount off off the MSRP people have been getting and are there Newmar dealers that I should consider when getting price quotes?

I will leave it with these questions for now, although I'm sure I will additional questions, and I will look forward to any feedback/opinions. Thanks in advance...
No Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2021, 11:18 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Can't talk to how the FRED is, we special ordered a 2019 CS 3719, but can talk to some of your questions.

AC upgrade! most definitely! 13.5' s struggled in deep south.
Rear aux heater, we had it and never used it. takes engine heat and circulates it in BR. Lets you pre-warm BR but no benefit once in camp.

No sure of current configuration, but our CS did not come with Auto Gen Start. We had factory add after purchase. if it is important to you, check into it. We have dogs and we wanted to make sure Ventilation system would not be off on loss of CG power.

We added vacuum but rarely used. Washer and Dryer was important to us, we use it all the time on the road.

Lastly, we did factory pick up. Best money we every spent on RV.

Good Luck,
j
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #3

Thanks for that information regarding the rear auxiliary heater and the vacuum. No need to be paying for features that wouldn't get used. That money could be put towards other items of more importance. Based on the current information on the Newmar website the 2022 Canyon Star does have the Auto Gen Start.

Hopefully someone that has the new model with the front engine diesel will post up regarding the engine noise. I did find a YouTube video talking about the noise factor which was informative. From the video it appears that out of the hole the diesel noise is noticeable but acceptable once the engine is warmed up and at cruising speed.

I will have to look into the factory pickup as I continue doing my due diligence regarding options, etc. I wasn't aware that was offered and I'm sure there is an upcharge for a factory delivery.

Thanks again...
Old 09-05-2021, 10:15 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On our 2019, the engine noise was only an issue climbing large grades. Once up to speed on the highway we never felt it was an issue. CS was a well insulated and well built coach, noise was never a dissatisfier for us. Handling, well that was a different story. I would recommend you chat with owners of the FRED CS about how it handles, and if any modifications were required to tame the beast.

Best of luck.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:32 AM   #5

Handling is something that is of interest as well... Up until the change to the front engine diesel the Canyon Star was built on the F-Series Super Duty chassis I believe. Starting in 2021 they are built on a Freightliner chassis. If handling was an issue on the previous chassis build, perhaps the freightliner chassis has addressed the handling issue.

My inquiry regarding the new FRED Canyon Star is to hopefully get answers to to issues like this.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:46 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The gasser ran on the F-53 Ford chassis, basically a bread truck chassis. The FRED has shifted over to the FL chassis, but it is basically their lighter duty truck chassis.

I offer 3 things.
1. keep soliciting feedback from current CS FRED owners.
2. see if other manufactures use this same chassis as RV chassis and see what that feedback is.
3. MOST IMPORTANT. Go drive one, on local roads and highway speeds. even if not exact same model as you want. this is best way to know what you are getting into.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:52 PM   #7
MG1

I have a 2021 3927 CS. The engine noise isn’t bad when cruising. When the fan is running at full speed it can be pretty loud. This only occurs in slow speed situations like stop and driving in town. Once up to speed the noise goes down significantly.

We actually LOVE the central vac and use it all the time. I thought it was not going to a useful option but I highly recommend it now.

We don’t have the rear auxiliary heater so I can’t comment on that.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:21 PM   #8

Thank you for your feedback... I have been made aware the fan can be quite loud when driving in hot conditions in stop and go conditions. Good information to have. I'm on the fence regarding the central vacuum... It might be a good feature for the sake of convenience. I will probably opt out of the rear auxiliary heater.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:54 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0YJ View Post
Thank you for your feedback... I have been made aware the fan can be quite loud when driving in hot conditions in stop and go conditions. Good information to have. I'm on the fence regarding the central vacuum... It might be a good feature for the sake of convenience. I will probably opt out of the rear auxiliary heater.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

We had the rear Aux heat on our ‘15 CS3921 and it was good for not having to run propane heat in the winter when driving. Don’t just think about your creature comfort, think about your water lines.

We have had the central vac in both our CS and VT and would get it again.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:57 PM   #10

Good point about water lines... I need to get more information about the auxiliary heater. I do think having the central vacuum is worth getting the more I think about it.

I appreciate the feedback and opinions... That's why I started this thread. Always best to get feedback from CS owners.

Tags
canyon star, newmar