Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 10:54 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
21 Newmar - 2 questions about Dometic vent fans

I was looking at the Dometic vent fans in my 21 DutchStar and I canít figure out how to remove the screen for cleaning. Iíve got a few bugs and leaves to remove. I tried rotating it. I tried pulling down on an indentation on the side but it acts like Iím going to break it. What am I missing?

2nd question. Iíd like to order a couple vent covers so we can use the vent fans when itís raining. On the Camping World site various owners talk about the Dometic Ultra Breeze covers not being tall enough and required spacers to keep the vent cover from hitting it. There are also some large MaxAir covers available but donít know if these are universal fit and will work on Dometic vents. Anybody with a later model Newmar find covers that work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A223F483-3AEA-4628-BE24-C6807CD707CA.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	338120  
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 11:05 AM   #2
D20

The screen just pulls out. Yes, it is tight. Just start at the finger pull and just work on one side of it. Once a few "snaps" are free it comes out easily.

I don't know about the covers but I would think Fantastic Fan covers would work with Fantastic Fans. Maybe check with Dometic to see what they say about it.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:26 AM   #3

I use a paint can opener to get it started at the finger tab and then pop of every few inches all the way around
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
21 Newmar - 2 questions about Dometic vent fans

Look at the right side of the picture you posted. You can see the raised area on the screen/white plastic trim to get your finger under to remove the screen. Just pull down carefully.
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:34 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fan-Tastic Vent U1500WH Ultra Breeze Vent Cover - White Translucent

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're tall enough and besides, the vent is designed to stop once the plastic vent cover hits a stopping point.

Had three but now two since I added an AC unit where the Kitchen Fantastic Fan Vent was.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post

2nd question. Iíd like to order a couple vent covers so we can use the vent fans when itís raining. On the Camping World site various owners talk about the Dometic Ultra Breeze covers not being tall enough and required spacers to keep the vent cover from hitting it. There are also some large MaxAir covers available but donít know if these are universal fit and will work on Dometic vents. Anybody with a later model Newmar find covers that work?
I added three Ultra Breeze vent covers to my Newmar Canyon Star...

The model I used was: Fan-Tastic Vent, U1500WH Ultra Breeze Vent Cover.

The vent lids will contact the covers at near full opening. I would guesstimate they open 85% or a little more. I have not found it to be a problem.

I open the vents and stop them just before making contact. The vents open more than enough for what appears to me to full air flow... or damn close to full airflow..

It's a non issue with me...

Old 08-03-2021, 01:40 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Those vent screens are a bear to remove and it feels like you're going to break them, but they're very pliable. Once off, I spray the blades with 409 and clean them too.

I also like and use the Fantastic Fan covers. When installing them, you actually mount four pins using some of the original vent screws. The cover is then slipped over the four pins and a clevis pin and washer is used to hold them in place. This allows you to easily remove the cover once or twice a year and wash the Fantastic Fan lid.

Since you have the Dutch Star, your rear bath Fantastic Fan is mounted in the center of the domed ceiling. If you put a cover on this fan, it will be the tallest thing on your roof and could cause clearance issues.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:10 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Don. I suspected that back bath fan would be the limitation installed on the domed roof. I don’t want to add to my clearance height.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fan, newmar, vent