Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2021, 01:47 PM   #1

'21 VTDP Suspension Work - Review & Questions

I recently had several things done at Henderson's Line-Up in Grants Pass, OR and wanted to share my impressions thus far. My goal was to achieve better handling, as my coach tended to wander more than I liked, especially on bad roads and in crosswinds. I was also anxious to get rid of the obnoxious rocking when going slower over uneven surfaces.

Work completed:
-Koni's on all 4 corners
-Roadmaster sway bars - front & rear
-Motion Control Units - front & rear
-Super steer bell crank (I know some on here recommended against this with Comfort Drive, but after doing some research, examining the part itself and speaking to Henderson's, I went ahead with it)

My challenge is that it is difficult to tell what did what, but here are my thoughts:
-Handling has improved dramatically. Holds line better, does not lean in curves nearly as much and steering feel is great. I had what I would call a steering lag or numbness before - that is gone. Interestingly, I used to have Comfort Drive set at 8. Now I drive at 4.
-Ride is harsher, unfortunately. Trade off indeed. In speaking to Henderson's, they feel it is the MCU's and not the Koni's. Coach used to glide over bad expansion joints, etc., but now it is much harsher.
-The Ventana does not have an air dump switch. I used to hit auto level, air would dump quickly, and rig would level perfectly. The air takes too long to dump with the MCU's, so it nearly lifts all wheels when leveling. I can get the air to dump by hitting auto level twice, quickly, and waiting...Then I have to hit retract all, wait, and then auto level again...

First question: I am going to give it more time, but I might remove the MCU's. Can anyone comment on the harsher ride cause, MCU's versus Koni's?

Second question: Has anyone added a separate air dump switch? I am sure it is possible, but I would not know where to start looking for the interface with the Equalizer leveling system.

Thanks!
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2021, 05:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The MCU will behave somewhat similar to the HWH Active Air when it comes to expansion joints, and straight on hard bumps. I did experience harshness in those conditions, but the benefit of the lean and other handling improvements was worth it.

I think the reason for the harshness is more air is in the bags, and does not exit quickly. In fact, that harshness of those bumps is the only time I noticed an issue. Koni shocks where a great improvement over the SACHS shock.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:37 PM   #3

Agree. The Konis to the vast majority of their dampening on EXTENSION, so really don't add to ride harshness.

The MCU, which slow down suspension reaction time would be more likely to add to ride harshness.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:19 PM   #4

Not sure your HWH levelers panel is the same as the DS, but ours has a separate button for "manual dump" allowing to just dump the air bags which might solve your issue. Can't help with the MCUs although I have considered adding these to our DS.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:32 PM   #5

Not al Koni's are the softer ride shocks, you didn't mention which ones were put on.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Not sure your HWH levelers panel is the same as the DS, but ours has a separate button for "manual dump" allowing to just dump the air bags which might solve your issue. Can't help with the MCUs although I have considered adding these to our DS.
I wish it had the separate button, but it does not...
Old 12-03-2021, 08:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Not al Koni's are the softer ride shocks, you didn't mention which ones were put on.
The gold FSD's...
Old 12-04-2021, 12:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
The gold FSD's...
Tomato do you have the part numbers for the FSD shocks that were installed? I'm finding conflicting part numbers in my search's. I want to replace front and rear.

Thank you
Joe
Ventana-3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventana-3412 View Post
Tomato do you have the part numbers for the FSD shocks that were installed? I'm finding conflicting part numbers in my search's. I want to replace front and rear.

Thank you
Joe
Front: 8805-1020. Rear 8805-1022. You can review the specs here: https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...632&mk=78&mt=9
Old 12-04-2021, 04:33 PM   #10

I have a VTDP 3412. Did the MCU's first. Huge improvement and the ride was no harsher. Later added Koni's (Gold ones) and the ride became somewhat harsher. The original shocks (Sacs I think) had the better ride. The ride is harsher with the Koni's but they don't oscillate as much on bumps like the originals.
weird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
The MCU will behave somewhat similar to the HWH Active Air when it comes to expansion joints, and straight on hard bumps. I did experience harshness in those conditions, but the benefit of the lean and other handling improvements was worth it.

I think the reason for the harshness is more air is in the bags, and does not exit quickly. In fact, that harshness of those bumps is the only time I noticed an issue. Koni shocks where a great improvement over the SACHS shock.
Totally agree.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:08 PM   #12

Quick update now that I have about 2,500 miles on the new set up. EXTREMELY happy, despite the small trade off on harshness. Finally (not that I wanted to) drove quite a while with a 20MPH steady cross wind with gusts to about 25. Handled dramatically better than when I had hit that before the upgrades. I have to say, though, that we caught what I will call a rogue gust when running north along the Salton Sea. Thought we were going to flip over! Very strange, as it was a one and done, and the steady winds were not bad at all.

Tags
suspension, view