Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2022, 11:21 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
22’ Mountain Aire

The wife and I have an opportunity to move-up from our 2020’ Ventana to a 22’ Mountain Aire. Up and down the grapevine here in California a couple times a quarter. The Ventana, with 400Hp and approx 1200 ft lbs of torque, pulling our jeep slows to 45 mph. On my shopping list - improve our mountain speed capability. Seriously considered a London Aire with its 605 and 1900 lbs of torque but that unit is a bit north of the budget. Now a 22’ MA is within our reach, My concern is the MA is equipped with the 500 HP and approx. 1600 ft lbs of torque. So the the MA has the GVW like a London Aire but with the 500 HP not the 605 and approx. 1600 ft lbs of torque not the 1900 on the LA. Thinking of the torque to weight, the longer coach and additional GVW is my mountain climbing capability really improved in a 22’ MA?
Pacific32MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2022, 12:06 AM   #2

I wouldn't think so ; I don't believe the 500 HP coach or even the 605 HP coach will give an appreciable increase on the Grapevine climb .
You could start a poll asking other members what coach they drive; HP/Torque/ weight with toad, and what speed they maintain on the I-5 over the Grapevine and few , if any would be able to honestly say anything over 50.

JMHO: If the speed on the Grapevine and other climbs is your only concern with your current coach , switching coaches for added speed is an expensive way to gain 10/15 mins of travel time at the end of the day , and most times between LA and Sacramento on the 5 , you'll lose more than that in heavy traffic .
Old 05-20-2022, 08:49 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Skip426, appreciate your insights. While it took a while to repair and dial in the Ventana our experiences have enabled us to create some features we'd like, if a another coach is in our future. The climb performance is something I don't know a lot about (which is why my post) and is/was on my list - along with a few features on her list. We've been looking around and this MA is something that has most all of what she wanted. It comes to the numbers for us. So the spend would primarily be to improve her happiness factor, in the end if we don't make a move the 15 minutes is not that big of deal.

Thank you again for sharing...
Pacific32MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:29 AM   #4

Weight difference

Curious to the weight difference between the 3 coaches being referenced - your current coach a 4118 MA and a 45’ LA ? The nice part about the X12 in the MA it’s about 1k lighter than the X15, Eng. to Eng. comparison- than you have an additional 4’ of Coach weight to contend with the LA. The MA 1695lb.ft torque vs your current 1,200lb.ft. Is a sizable difference. Plus you get the oversized Allison 4000 series trans. vs the 3000 series which is absolutely bullet proof.
Cooterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:33 AM   #5

Well after 51 years I can understand the SWMBO ( She Who Must Be Obeyed) factor in any decision.
In twelve years with my current coach , 300HP/800FtLbs torque, and 32,000 lbs GCW with toad.
I've only crossed the Grapevine twice in my annual travels to SoCA; mostly cross on the 58 the Tehachapi; but experience is probably similar on both climbs . With light traffic maintaining 40/45 is easy , getting boxed in behind a loaded semi and loosing momentum; well that's a different story .
Those trips Happy Hour is a 1/2 hour delayed .

Safe travels .
Old 05-20-2022, 11:53 AM   #6

Well darn. I only got in this thread to see a "22' Mountainaire". I was kind of hoping for something along these lines.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:34 PM   #7

We have a 18 LA with the X-15 605 HP and 1950 Torque and it is a real pleasure to drive. There is a difference between the X-12 and X-15 on grades. We had a Essex with a 500HP 1550 torque with a coach weight of 44K and the LA weighs in 51K with a full fuel tank. We pull a Dodge Durango at close 6K which is a total of 57K pounds. Pull almost any grade like the Grape Vine at 55MPH in either 4 or 5 th gear. Had a Newmar owner take out a MA with X-12 and then the LA with the X-15 on I-10 east of Indio and said there was a 10MPH difference between the two. Don't think there is any fuel usage difference. X-15 is the best for power and smooth traveling.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, mountain aire